Seven AFL Coverage

I didnt realise that 7 got it early over everyone else - its not uncommon for accredited media to get the lists early (especially on game day) to allow them to prep

1 Like

Seven have the exclusive rights to break the team lists during 7 News Melbourne on Thursday night, 6.20pm Eastern is apparently when the embargo lifts and I’m pretty sure Seven gets to announce them ahead of that at 6.15 (which’d explain the time on Jon Ralph’s tweet… they’d be through all the teams by 6.20 in a typical round).

Thursday teams are announced on Wednesday at the same time, while weekend teams announced on Thursday are the usual extended lists that then get finalised the day before in the late afternoon (about 4.30-5pm).

They’ve had these rights for quite a while now, at least since the rights deal before last (can’t find exactly when it started but my mind is thinking “2017 rights deal”, very glad to stand corrected on that if it was earlier still). Yes there were a lot of complaints from the other non-TV media about this at the time!

9 Likes

Surprised that the teams haven’t been delayed to 6:45/6:50 with the extension of the news.

3 Likes

I am and aren’t - the league teams are enough of a thing down there that I’m surprised it’s not earlier than the B block of an hour-long news sometimes (albeit my eyes are used to Sydney news and thus I may be exaggerating that!).

It’s a bit harder to generate that news with the rugby league team lists because they’re all released as early as Tuesday, and it’s probably at a point where Nine and NRL 360 on Fox (or even the FS News’ NRL Tonight beforehand) probably have equal dibs on it.

2 Likes

Looks like you are right sadly.

Seven Sydney also has horse racing all afternoon on the main channel tomorrow too.

1 Like

Don’t know why these slides used on TMS showed tonight’s game on 7 and Saturday’s on 7Mate. Surely it would have been better to show both channels for both games.

Sunrise by contrast has both channels and the correct start time.

4 Likes

Perhaps they mean 7pm for pre-game on 7mate and then match coverage from 7.30 on Seven?

4 Likes

The whole thing is still on 7mate in Perth though, although I guess they are used to it.

3 Likes

Guides suggesting this year’s GF will be immediately specially encored that same night (after the Post Game wraps) on 7mate, at least in Melbourne. Seems a bit of a waste of a channel, only die hards of the winning team would and that’s if it’s even close/memorable. Usually they’d encore it the following afternoon. Most people will be too busy partying, consoling or chatting, discussing the events of the day with TVs either going off, staying on in background or turning off.

5 Likes

Coverage of VFL Grand Final continues on 7mate at 6pm AEST with post-match presentations and interviews.

The VFL GF and post-match will also be shown live on Southern Cross TV and 7mate respectively, across Tasmania and Northern Territory.

3 Likes

The game is being repeated at 7pm local time in all markets so Adelaide will get a 30 minute filler after presentations and there will be a 2hr gap in Perth.

6 Likes

Brisbane v Carlton is a great game so far!

7 Likes

Game stayed close, so there would of been little switch off

4 Likes

Close enough, still a comfortable win though.

4 Likes

Wonder if 7.00-8.00 the AFL lured away some viewers from the start of the NRL coverage in Brisbane?

2 Likes

A lot or negative around the commentary

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/footy-fans-call-out-channel-7-over-bias-commentary-during-preliminary-final/news-story/9ddd6ab3701b2771b84a434d96a161de

7 probably needs to have more/better commentators for viewers to stick with them when Fox gets to call all games (expect GF) from 2025.

4 Likes

Sam Hargreaves doing play by play for the Saints v Pies AFLW game today.

1 Like

Tomorrow’s gonna be the Last time we see Both McLachlan Brothers on Stage at the Brownlow, Hamish Hosting with Rebecca Maddern again while Older Brother Gillon reads the votes for the Final Time as CEO.

1 Like

Little surprise that absolutely everyone* south of the border would have loved a Collingwood v Carlton GF to be a fait accompli… Seven’s ratings would have been through the roof down there if that had become the case. Sounds not a great look when it’s supposed to be a national game though.

1 Like

Does H&A usually air on Brownlow night? I thought they usually started the telecast straight after Seven News, which would make better sense for ratings flow and disrupt rivals such as Nine’s ACA and Block lead-in and 10’s Project and Masked Singer. But could be wrong. If not, is the main event/count pushed back this year, as IIRC the ‘blue carpet’ usually is 30min.

1 Like