Seven AFL Coverage

And Nine would never have agreed to something that would hijack a HD channel for the entire football season in the minor states.

But let’s not go there here.

2 Likes

Comedian Danny McGinlay (best known for his funny Western Bulldogs match day banners) will have a regular segment on AFL Game Day this year, according to today’s Herald Sun.
Also, the AFL Players Association revealed yesterday it had no objections to a twilight grand final. It’s now up to AFL Commission to decide on the starting time. If given the green light for twilight GF (say with 5pm AEST start), Seven is set for a ratings bonanza.

1 Like

I’m okay with a twilight grand final if that’s what the AFL want but I doubt the ratings will rise as much as people will say.

WA is the only state I could see the average figure rising somewhat.

1 Like

Didn’t outgoing AFL commission chairman Mike Fitzpatrick rule it out (at least for this year), saying probably 3pm now?

Who cares what Seven want? They always want everything and get everything.

Seven, Nine & Ten were pusing for prime-time GFs since the dawn of time!

The AFL GF still tops the year’s ratings, despite being played during the afternoon :+1:

I don’t see the problem with the current timing to be honest, surely it’s an amazing enough event that it shouldn’t matter

I know the likes of Eddie McGuire have advocated turning it into a super bowl style event, I fail to see how you couldn’t do it without moving it

Changes to Saturday in Melbourne and Adelaide

12:00 PM AEDT Horse’s Mouth (R) (Melbouren only)

12:30 PM AEDT Women’s AFL Pre-Game: Pre-Game Grand Final Show
Seven weeks of history-making women’s football have led to this show-stopping Grand Final with the winners to be crowned the inaugural AFLW premiers.

01:00 PM AEDT Women’s AFL: Grand Final

04:00 PM ACDT AFL: Rnd 1: Sydney v Port Adelaide (Adelaide only)

1 Like

That means the AFL is close to announce the exact starting time of the AFLW Grand Final. However still no coverage on main channel in Brisbane even though the Lions are hosting the match at home (either at The Gabba or Carrara). Hopefully it will be amended in the next few days.

1 Like

###AFLW

Saturday 6.30pm AEDT LIVE on 7mate

Giants and Dogs fight to avoid spoon

The GWS Giants and the Western Bulldogs battle it out to end their first AFLW season on a high this Saturday on Seven.
Over the past six weeks, the Giants and Bulldogs have mustered one win each, leaving both teams fighting for a win to avoid the inaugural AFLW wooden spoon.

Early predictions expected the Giants to struggle this season, similar to anticipations made of the men’s team in their 2012 debut. The Giants have battled hard despite numerous injuries, with their highlight coming in a thrilling five point win against Melbourne.

Phoebe McWilliams has been the leading scorer for the Giants and is the fifth highest scorer in the competition. McWilliams will need to deliver her ‘A’ game this week if the Giants want to keep off the bottom.

Last round, the Bulldogs lost by seven points to the Brisbane Lions as the Lions secured their Grand Final spot. This week, all eyes will be on Bulldogs’ Jaimee Lambert and Ellie Blackburn to help kick a winning score and for Emma Kearney to deliver in the midfield if they are to triumph.

Jason Bennett and Mark Soderstrom will call this week’s match with Peta Searle in expert commentary. Sam Lane will take up field commentary continuing to bring stories and insights from the coaches and players.

Broadcast times:
GWS Giants v Western Bulldogs
Sydney 6.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 6.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Brisbane 5.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 6.00pm LIVE on 7mate
Perth 3.30pm LIVE on 7mate

1 Like

Love the EK mention, being getting some complaints about the lack of EK mentions.

Is the WB match on Grandstand or ABC Local?

The GWS-Bulldogs AFLW match does not have radio coverage according to the AFL website. ABC NewsRadio will broadcast Sunday’s match between Carlton and Brisbane.

1 Like

Melbourne AFLW captain Daisy Pearce is joining Seven’s AFL commentary team for the first time, on top of her regular appearance on AFL Game Day. According to today’s Herald Sun, Pearce’s role will involve a combination of special comments and boundary reporting.

2017 WAFL season starts this weekend and one match will air in WA on Seven or 7mate, starting with East Perth v Peel Thunder at Leederville Oval tomorrow night.

Bruce McAvaney is feeling rejuvenated and raring to go for Thursday’s footy season kick off.Bruce has revealed in an interview with the Herald Sun he is battling Leukemia, he was diagnosed two years ago.
He said in the interview l am living a complete life with no restrictions.More details on tonight’s Seven News.

3 Likes

I see the Toyota Saturday Night Pre-Game Show is now called “The Kick” (better title IMO).

With the addition of Sam McClure from Talking Footy (and radio and The Age).

Only a 30min show now though, according to the EPG, unless a game starts at 7:40 (then perhaps The Kick will air until 7:15-7:30pm, thinking about the last 5 years?)

@JohnsonTV

Sam McClure is a great addition joining his Age colleague Samantha Lane on Saturday nights.
I wonder if the Friday night pre-game show will still be called Telstra Countdown?

1 Like

Currently listed as AFL Pre-Game

1 Like

Any word on Seven’s network AFL sponsors for at least 2017?

I expect websites like Mediaweek & AdNews to discuss it.

There’ll probably be lots of media about the AFL season opener, leading-up to next Thursday. I know Foxtel / News Corp (“Fox Footy”) had theirs on Wednesday night. The AFL also had their launch a few nights ago.

Have Seven had their launch/media event yet?

AAMI, Maccas will sponsor 7AFL.

1 Like

It is still great that they code it as pre-game (or whatever they will be known due to sponsors) on the likes of the tv guide and EPG.

Unlike other sports (like NRL) where you have to guess at what time the games are on (if you’re the casual viewer, that is).

1 Like

Surely the other long-time FTA AFL sponsors - Bunnings, Toyota & Harvey Norman will too?

1 Like

They advertise during everything.

2 Likes