SEN (Radio)

why do 1116 and 1377 simulcast for most of the day?

They are cheap.

2 Likes

You deserve a Bertocchi ham and a bottle of De Bortoli.

2 Likes

Or if it was FiveAA, a double pass to the fabulous Wallis Cinemas, I won a couple of those when I lived over there

1 Like

To test whether ACMA are still doing their job at enforcing the no simulcast rule, like they did with 3XY/BayFm and 3EE/3MP …

3 Likes

SEN to roll out to all mainland capitals.

3 Likes

That will make SEN the first commercial radio station to be broadcast in every state and territory. SCA (which has a vast regional network) doesn’t have presence in NT.

1 Like

They do have a presence there, in which they own 50% of Hit 104.7 & Mix 106.3, as well as the Nine affiliate there.

1 Like

Thanks for the correction. I realised the error immediately after posting it. I also forgot the Southern Cross TV station in Canberra.
I do wonder if SEN will expand into Hobart first, in order to provide commercial radio coverage of BBL and international cricket next summer. Commercial radio broadcast of international cricket has been missing in Tasmania since Triple M pulled out in May 2018.

1 Like

For those interested to know where you might soon be hearing SEN on: https://maprad.io/au/search/licensee/Gumnut%20Nominees%20Pty%20Ltd_1314015_46005009352_Rete%20Italia

From a Sydney perspective, the Gumnut Nominees licences include 1539AM and 1611AM out West, which are currently home to Rete Italia and the Vision Radio Network respectively.

I wonder if Pacific Star/Crocmedia might also eventually try and do deals with other broadcasters to get SEN programming on DAB+ Digital Radio outside of Melbourne.

3 Likes

The announcement is interesting for its long-term consequences in that there could be a point whereby Crocmedia won’t have to sub-licence the rights they acquire to the likes of Macquarie and keep them solely for the SEN network of stations

1 Like

Laughs in Radio 2

6 Likes

I wonder if Gumnut will buy some FM narrowcast licences to replace what they are selling or if they will encourage listeners to stream their services.

Wonder how my grandpa can listen to Rete Italia once this happens?

1 Like

Wonder if SEN will go to any effort to actually get radios optimised for receiving off band AM into the hands of the public?

I also wonder if this will encourage anyone with a commercial license in a market SEN are trying to operate in to step up and challenge them on the basis on which SEN considers itself to be legally operating a commercial radio service on a narrowcast license.

This isn’t a racing radio service, and none of the other existing clear cases where it has been considered narrowcast apply here. Do they just point to MSR’s ratings as evidence it is a niche?

6 Likes

Quite sure that the 1611 licence in Hobart isn’t active at the moment. Others might be able to tell if the TX equipment is still installed at Ralphs Bay.

1 Like

How do work out which of the 58 licences SEN purchased in the link provided?

Which rights are they sub-licensing?
I had assumed Crocmedia were providing product that other Networks purchased?

The House of Hutch might argue that pumping NRL into the southern states and AFL north of the Barassi line is considered niche. Don’t see why they’d broadcast AFL in a Victorian market that might already broadcast the Crocmedia call, for instance.

Then again, the 1116/1377 de-facto simulcast undermines my logic. Interesting to see whether ACMA starts doing its job as a regulator now. Hah.

3 Likes

Maybe this is what he meant about creating SEN3 for the northern states?

Either way, I’d be expecting no local news & no local ads.