SEN (Radio)

Which rights are they sub-licensing?
I had assumed Crocmedia were providing product that other Networks purchased?

The House of Hutch might argue that pumping NRL into the southern states and AFL north of the Barassi line is considered niche. Don’t see why they’d broadcast AFL in a Victorian market that might already broadcast the Crocmedia call, for instance.

Then again, the 1116/1377 de-facto simulcast undermines my logic. Interesting to see whether ACMA starts doing its job as a regulator now. Hah.

3 Likes

Maybe this is what he meant about creating SEN3 for the northern states?

Either way, I’d be expecting no local news & no local ads.

The Listeners of Rete Italia won’t be Happy.

SEN3 already carries Sports Day NSW so I figure this will be the feed they syndicate out to the northern states going forward. They might even re-brand it “SEN North” or “SEN NSW” like they’ve done with SEN SA.

Either way, I said the same thing when they started SEN SA - their main focus is creating online content that is streamable. All their unique localised state based streams, podcasts and live sport will be available on their SEN app. The physical presence on these new narrowcast licenses around the country is just a bonus that helps them promote their online offering.

5 Likes

Crocmedia are the ‘umbrella’ radio rightsholders for both the AFL and A-League

nor vision - looks like vision might lose access to 1053am brisbane which they promoted pretty heavily online and on air when it started.

So these licences “expire” and go to tender after a certain time and then SEN bought the freq? For 1539 am Sydney why wasn’t it give some DAB space like community radio?

I suspect because it’s a narrowcast licence, rather than a traditional commercial/national/metro-wide community radio licence.

Yep, I read that as Crocmedia receiving an income by selling these products on. Sorry if I read it the wrong way round.

So narrowcast does not always mean above 1602 am. Is the bandwidth more narrow under 1539am than say 1269 am station? Obviously the power specifications are lower. Narrowcast does not mean narrow bandwidth?

Is 1476 am available and 738am on blue mountains? (the old 2ka)

783 AM.

1 Like

Correct. There are two types of narrowcast stations on AM: HPON, or High Powered Open Narrowcast stations, which broadcast inside the the broadcast services band (BSB) - that being 531-1602kHz AM. The old Cool Country station in Penrith on 1476 AM is an example of this.

The second is are AM narrowband stations - sometimes referred to as MF-NAS stations. These are licensed in the upper portion of the AM band - between 1611 and 1701kHz AM - and do have limited bandwidth to allow multiple services to fit next to each other. In Melbourne, for example, you have I think maybe one clear channel between 1611 and 1701 - the rest are all used.

7 Likes

Agreed. I feel that surely if SEN starts up, particularly on an in-band frequency like 1053 Brisbane or 1539 Sydney, it won’t be long before a commercial operator who pays good money for a commercial licence is asking questions about the legality of it all

6 Likes

SEN have a section 40 out of band commercial broadcasting license, so that they can operate a commercial service on narrowband AM.

It is not on the air in Hobart. They equipment is installed, but is not active at the moment. I was told it was because of a faulty satellite receiver…

It was running off of one of the old Delta antenna (which didn’t give them great local reception, as you can imagine with that type of antenna).

1 Like

Yes, but they are not allowed to operate a commercial station on HPON AMs, only Narrowband AMs.

There is no Commercial Radio Broadcasting (Section 40 - NON-BSB) licence listed on the register for any of the Pacific Star companies. Have they only just got the licence but it is yet to appear on the ACMA database?

1 Like

Speculation from Caroline Wilson that Kevin Bartlett will be leaving the SEN fold, predicting a number of changes in AFL coverage on radio and TV

https://www.fiveaa.com.au/sport/Caro-Wilson-Tips-A-BOMBSHELL-Resignation-In-The-AFL-Media

1 Like

Haha this is no bombshell. Was actually surprised his contract wasn’t broken at the end of last season.

2 Likes