SEN (Radio)

How’s Gavin Robertson getting on these days? Ref brain cancer diagnosis last year?

1 Like

On the surface he has been doing well. It is always great to see people come out the other side of cancer.

1 Like

Is this one actually airing on Sydney TV?

Not sure of any other station that has promoted their open line number in a TVC.

Maybe those rumours of producers calling to fill time is actually true.

Not sure, although I did see an article from RadioInfo on launch day which stated that an advertisting campaign would run on Seven along with news.com.au and The Daily Telegraph’s website.

2 Likes

This is why I left their audience

Not working.

But do you still tune in to week day programming and live sport if it interest you?

Nope I choose alternative broadcasters

They have the same ones in Adelaide & Brisbane too.

I hope I’m wrong, but I had a flashback to Radio 2. They spent a lot of money buying low-powered non-BSB licences, but it was a network with next to no listeners and very little revenue, and ultimately went broke. Radio 2 wasted about $30 million, including $1.5 million from a usually astute Gerry Harvey. His buddy then 2GB and 2CH owner John Singleton advised Harvey not to invest in Radio 2, but Harvey ignored the advice.

SEN, and particularly SEN Track, have a similar feel to me. Ploughing a bucket load of money into something that has limited appeal and in some areas limited reach. They should have just stuck to Melbourne.

5 Likes

I’d have to agree. I can’t see SENTrack lasting.

3 Likes

Apart form the initial outlay, the low powered sites are cheap to run. Almost all SEN Track programming in shared, it’s really only the QLD Breakfast show that’s unique to a smaller market. They also have lets of gambling advertising. Betfair and Sportbet would happy to pay to get a competitor to Tabcorp.

6 Likes

However, since Melbourne competes in the NRL (Storm) and Super Rugby (Rebels), a little bit of rugby league and rugby union talk on SEN 1116 each day won’t hurt.

2 Likes

I suspect that Craig Hutchison had unused frequencies on the DAB+ band for both of his SEN radio stations in Melbourne and Sydney that were already available to listen too via tge SEN app/website and other radio streaming apps/websites, so he decided to broadcast the interstate version of SEN 1116 Melbourne (branded SEN VIC) on DAB + in the Sydney market and the new SEN 1170 Sydney station (branded SEN Sydney I’ve heard) on DAB+ in the Melbourne market.

That and I think Hutchy may want to be able to listen to the Melbourne and Sydney versions of SEN if he is in either city for business or personal reasons. For radio listeners like myself, I like having the option of listening to Melbourne news, sport (particularly AFL) and talk while living here in Sydney, driving around in my car OR to hear Sydney news, sport (NRL, Rugby Union, etc) whenever I visit Melbourne and listen via a DAB + radio.

3 Likes

Would Hutchy buy some Specturm in other Capital Cities?

2 Likes

Exactly, Vice Versa to Sydney for the Swans and Waratahs.

2 Likes

Sounds like Nick McArdle and Russell Barwick are doing some SEN NSW work.

Craig could stream it internally, all program outputs are IP based and can be easily streamed via a private URL.

Great talent, deserving of work.

SEN are investing well in talent for their Sydney station.

3 Likes

I listened to about 30 minutes of SEN 1170 this afternoon. It really is harsh on the ears. Everyone has a nickname, so you have no idea who they are, and they call each other mate etc. And it seems like they know the caller even though they don’t know who they are. There are lots of in-jokes and very long meaningless stories. It’s like a half-arsed version of Saturday’s Continuous Call Team.

This person who they claimed not to know called in and said he was a Sydney private eye, and gave out what he said were some details of jobs he had done. He claimed he had worked for various NRL, AFL and RU teams, and gave some advice to players who might be listening. It sounded like a load of rubbish, as did the other calls.

If this is an example of the rest of the programs across the day this station is doomed.

5 Likes

Unfortunately the harshness in sound is rubbing off on 2CH now. and one indeed wonders just how much longer the likes of Tim Webster will put up with it. Tim says it is just a matter of tweeting the new equipment, I guess we will wait and see.

4 Likes