SEN (Radio)

The afternoon show is fairly light hearted and is exactly as you describe. Bad sample size to judge on honestly so I wouldn’t say the station is doomed.

1 Like

It might take a few months but they will eventually come to the conclusion that they have almost no listeners. I guess the the news serviuce is not so important as it suits the intellect of any listeners they may have

1 Like

You’re a harsh judge @Rossco. Fair enough, you can have your opinion but to apply a stereotype of the intellect of sport fans is drawing a long bow!

A joke from a caller yesterday:

An invisible program putting down another invisible program shows how desperate they are for listeners, I think.

8 Likes

SEN1170 probably won’t survive for long. Hutchison has managed to “ruin” 1116SEN and the music stations Pacific Star used to run on AM and DAB+ in Melbourne. so he’ll probably “ruin” 2CH and get rid of it also. 1116 also sounds like a “boy’s” club these days and only for a select few. Used to be a good station even when they were struggling financially. The “Hutch empire” will come crashing down one of these days.

1 Like

Welcome to SEN. It may be viable, but 1116 has gone downhill in content and ratings since Hutchy bought it.

1 Like

What if someone like ESPN or Fox Sports were to buy SEN? I think Australia would benefit from a sports radio network, at least Melbourne and Sydney would, but run better.

4 Likes

2CH on DAB will be gone within 18 months. But I don’t see 1170 SEN going anywhere any time soon. Holding parent radio rights for nearly every sport in Australia will help them survive.

3 Likes

For 1170 to work as SEN Sydney, it has to get exclusive AM commercial rights to the NRL. Whilst Nine has the FTA TV rights, and could bundle the radio rights for 2GB with those rights, there’s no point in fiddling the dial across. That’s my thinking anyway.

AFL, sure. BBL, yep. NBL, Super Rugby, A-League, absolutely - they’ll take all the rights money they can. And there is content there (mighty Swans, Kings and Thunder, the occasionally OK Waratahs and the shithouse other teams). But they need to be the place for NRL.

8 Likes

Yeah, I have to agree with this post.

If SEN 1170 is to become a credible player in the Sydney market, it needs to position itself as the city’s home of rugby league otherwise it’s likely to become Macquarie Sports Radio 2.0!

18 months? That’s generous. With the way things have been going in recent months, I’d honestly be surprised if 2CH was still on DAB+ in six months from now!

If I were Tim Webster, Trevor Sinclair or Chris Kearns, I’d probably consider polishing up a showreel to send to Nine Music Radio.

3 Likes

Why do you say that? SEN Melbourne took a couple of years in Melbourne to even gain AFL radio rights (About 2006 was it?) but still shares them in a busy market with 774 ABC, 3MMM and 3AW.

At least SEN Sydney has NRL rights to start with!

1 Like

Sorry I guess I was a bit harsh tonks, it is just a pity we have to put up with such a woeful news service. I do like my sport but I do wonder if we are just heading towards a summer of waffle with desperate employees phoning in pretending to be talkback callers.

2 Likes

Probably not for you then.

2 Likes

I’d rather they be a music station with sport. Maybe like the BBC idea that has been posted a few times. Just a variety station with music but include plenty of live sport.

Great to hear Julian de Stoop filling in on SEN this morning. Former Fox Sports News. Such a good talent.

3 Likes

Pretty sure he’s the EP for Bob + Andy

4 Likes

Correct, also hosts a lot of Crocmedia studio shows.

2 Likes

Looks like a power increase coming for 1170 SEN; via the 2CH website (link)

Over the past months we have been working behind the scenes to be able to increase our AM signal power to give you listeners a improved signal on AM.

From December 1st 2020 we will slightly increase our signal strength to test if there are any negative effects to the surrounding community to our Transmitter site.

If you have noticed a negative change in your area please let us know by filling in form below,

Or give us a call on 0290989155 Leave your Name Telephone Number and a detailed comment and we will respond to you.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to Sports Entertainment Network.

2 Likes

1170 increased daytime power to 7.5 kw in July. Looking at the ACMA database, it will now be increased to 10 kw.

3 Likes

Garry Lyon and Tim Watson have signed a new 4-year deal with SEN, meaning they will have been at the station for 20 years when their contract ends in 2024.

1 Like