SEN (Radio)

SEN don’t seem to take notice what is a HPON or MF NAS and what is an s40. How can SEN get away with the broad sport content on SEN Track in Brisbane? It is clearly emulating 4TAB breakfast and instead of track calls, every team sport you can think of that SEN has rights to since beginning has been on it.

6 Likes

Curious on this too. I wonder if the sport doesn’t have another commercial broadcaster in that area (for example Brisbane with no other SEN station) they are allowed to run it? What’s the definition of “broad sport content”?

1 Like

I think they are just pushing the boundaries. Is it a case these days if no other radio station complains the ACMA will turn a blind eye? Surely big bash/test cricket/one dayers has wide appeal.

Very much looks as if SEN are operating in a grey area.

The BSA (link) provides a definition of “regional racing service”, but as far as I can tell this applies only to regional commercial radio licences (ie. 3BT Ballarat, 3SR Shepparton, 4FC Maryborough) for purposes of exempting them from local content quotas.

8AF Regional racing service radio licence
(1) For the purposes of this Act, a regional racing service radio licence is a regional commercial radio broadcasting licence (within the meaning of Division 5C of Part 5), where the following conditions are satisfied in relation to a broadcasting service provided under the licence:

(a) the broadcasting service is promoted, on the broadcasting service:

(i) as a broadcasting service of interest mainly to persons involved in horse racing, harness racing or greyhound racing; or
(ii) using the phrase “racing radio service”;

(b) the racing content percentage, in relation to the broadcasting service, is 60% or more for each day, other than Christmas Day and Good Friday;

(c) if, on a particular day, content other than racing content is broadcast on the broadcasting service—a significant proportion of that content is:

(i) relevant to horse racing, harness racing or greyhound racing; or
(ii) of interest mainly to persons involved in horse racing, harness racing or greyhound racing.

60% of a day’s broadcast is 14.4 hours. If 3BT, 3SR or 4FC were to broadcast an NRL match lasting less than 5.6 hours (for example), then they would still be classified as a regional radio service licence. But what of SEN Track?

As @crankymedia has mentioned previously, what was then Crocmedia sought an opinion from the ACMA on their proposed SEN SA service for Adelaide. The ACMA found the station would fall into the commercial broadcasting category, for reasons including (link)

The Service would broadcast live radio coverage of many sports that appeal to the general public. The variation in hosted talkback programs across the day, with differing hosts and presenters, would interest a broad audience.

The SEN SA format, it should be noted, is distinct from that of SEN Track. Regardless, ACMA’s guidelines for narrowcast stations suggests the following, emphasis my own: (link)

For example, a racing radio service would normally be categorised as a narrowcast service because of its limited appeal if its programming was substantially concerned with providing racing coverage, news and information about racing. However, the introduction of non-racing program elements such as music, news or non-racing sports, may alter the nature of the service so that it is no longer of limited appeal.

Edit: 5AA previously complained twice to the ABA about TABRadio adding a live-to-air breakfast show. In both cases, the ABA ruled the service was an open narrowcast service.
(link 1) (link 2)

3 Likes

Opinion follows.

If the justification for regional racing services being exempt from the local content requirements in the BSA is due to their limited appeal, yet those services are allowed to deviate from this up to 40% in a day - hence the broad-appeal sports breakfast programs on RSN, Sky and RadioTAB - then it makes sense to extend this provision to narrowcast stations. Assuming that those three broadcasters are simply simulcasting their capital city commercial stations on regional LPONs and HPONs, at present all would be in breach of the ‘limited appeal’ provision.

RSN, for instance, has hosted programmes from 5:30am to 1pm on weekdays which arguably would appeal to the general public. Undoubtedly, a “significant proportion” of those shows would be “relevant to horse racing, harness racing or greyhound racing”, and thus 3BT and 3SR would fit the definition of a regional racing service. For the LPONs and HPONs, would those programmes still be considered to have broad appeal?

To return to Brisbane, and the crux of the argument above. SEN Track’s main competition is RadioTAB, and to a lesser extent the sports coverage on 4BC, 4BH and Triple M. The House of Hutchy has relationships will all three networks

• 4BH’s AFL coverage is supplied by AFL Nation
  • Some regional Triple M stations air SEN (nee Crocmedia) shows and, in the case of Western Australia, AFL Nation calls on the ex-Red FM Hit stations
  • SEN SA breakfast also gets an airing on RadioTAB in Adelaide.

It’s pretty obvious to me why no-one has complained, then.

3 Likes

I think at the end of the day the survival of MF NAS, HPON and LPON licenses is going to be sports and racing radio anyway. So many licenses are becoming unused, handed back or bought out by SEN!

Other niche broadcasters that previously used these licenses are struggling and folding. In some cases similar niche programming is being handled comfortably by higher power community licenses in these areas anyway.

I think ACMA are just happy something is going to air and SEN’s business isn’t going anywhere so there is guaranteed future license fee revenue for the government. They’ll continue to turn a blind eye if they are indeed in breach and no one complains. If not I’m sure negotiations will prevail to adjust the ACMA regulations and ensure other broadcasters agree to terms to allow SEN to broadcast specific content in some areas.

3 Likes

Is 1170 SEN airing Sportsday NSW?

A post on The Radio Green Room forum says that both 2SM and SEN Sydney are airing the exact same program 6-8pm weeknights.

According to the schedule Sports Day NSW is on 1170 at 7pm-8pm only. 6pm-7pm is an additional hour of Jimmy Smith.

1 Like

Yes.

Instead of repeats of morning glory they could take audio of the Cricket Australia coverage for the NSW vs QLD shield match, it’s basically ball by ball with the video.

2 Likes

Following on from the 2CH Sydney thread talking about Sunday night programming on 1170 SEN Sydney hosted by Jason Stevens, which is a mix of interview content and music.

SEN is planning to launch a new DAB+ station in Mandurah in WA, called SEN Peel.

3 Likes

Good move. Makes vastly more sense to buy on to DAB than buying up hundreds of narrowcast licenses.

That’s why it’s so odd they seem to have soured with Grant, as doing a deal with them could have gotten them into many markets. Perth, Darwin and Hobart for now, and then a bunch more, like Gold Coast as those expand.

Surely there’s someone in Brisbane that will take their money?

2 Likes

what’s the meaning behind the name?

1 Like

It refers to Peel Inlet, south of Mandurah, and also the Peel region which includes Mandurah.

5 Likes

They’re focusing on gay clubbers who like sports radio.

1 Like

Anyone heard much of SEN Sydney? How’s it sounding?

1 Like

Every time I tune in they seem to be playing repeats or highlights. Mind you, that’s over weekends, out of prime time, etc.

1 Like

Having national shows with the latest sports news would be better than repeats, I think. Though I have no real interest in this station!

3 Likes

I love league and cricket, but I found it pretty boring so far. Some bits were ok, but mostly repeats. Maybe the cricket season it will be better. I prefer talkin sport on 2sm to get my daily dose, but today was listening to Merv as a cocommentator for the shield match NSW vs Tassie. It was a good listen (I mostly wasn’t watching). I prefer the shield cricket to the womens BBL that is on at the moment. What a great comeback by NSW. I respect no matter male or female that people play cricket it’s great but the longer form is better by far in my view.

1 Like