SEN (Radio)

No iHeartRadio though. Does not appear SEN Melbourne uses that platform although 2ch is still going.

I think audio quality is average, it is not the DAB only being 40K, I found the online stream using the web browser is also sounding just as hollow or harsh, it feels very hollow or harsh. ABC Grandstand sounds much much better also at 40 K. I know its Mono ABC Grandstand and uses HE-AAC v1 rather than v2 (SEN uses). They may need to tweak the source of the audio.

2CH audio sounds to “standard” and sounds good for 64k (They did a good job, best 64k audio station I have heard) . I got the feeling they are still at Pyrmont ?

2 Likes

Yeah, it still hasn’t updated in the Sonos API as yet.

Hutchy wasn’t the founder of SEN… he bought it a few years ago and in my opinion therefore wreaked the station.

6 Likes

I was listening to 1170 SEN and I found the processing of the audio on air to be quite harsh to the point that the S’s on air were been distorted (Listen to the news at the hour to get an idea).

1 Like

He co-founded Crocmedia which has now renamed it self “Sports Entertainment Network”. Which as an acronym is “SEN”. Therefore he technically did co-found “SEN”.

SEN/SEN2 in Melbourne are both in simulcast with each other still, so can’t listen to the 1170 program here yet without streaming. Did that ‘SEN’ in Sydney get renamed to SEN Vic or something and remain an SEN Melbourne simulcast?

2 Likes

SEN is still SEN. But the description is SEN Victoria.

2 Likes

They are so bad at this.

2 Likes

It is still SEN Vic though (last I checked)

1 Like

Tonight’s edition of Seven News Sydney had a report about the launch of SEN 1170 - no such coverage on either Nine or Ten, as far as I’m aware:

Interesting to note the language in Tom Sacre’s report, “It’s replaced Easy Listening 2CH” even though that station is still available on Digital Radio (at least for now).

Of course, there’s at least one person on Twitter unhappy about the change…even though as far as I can tell, they would’ve been listening to the online streaming (if anything) in Singapore:

Meanwhile, here’s a far more balanced view from AAP Sports reporter Scott Bailey:

1 Like

Yeah I noted that too. I still heard the feedback line number ad tonight on 2CH, the guy was still asking where to buy a gas mask.

1 Like

It’s a bit crappy they now just have breakfast show highlights now (so early). At least MSR had an evening show.

They can go back to the request show on 2ch instead. :smiley:

2 Likes

It seems like SEN have given up a bit on evenings in the last six months. There are so many repeats. Like I said previously if they want to do it cheap I think they could play a couple of segments from each of the state shows.

Over Summer there will be Big Bash, Tennis and A league so probably only a problem for another six weeks.

You’d at least expect 1170 to share programming with 1116 at nights and overnight.

Aren’t they sharing any programming?

1 Like

Sports Entertainment Network or “SEN” existed separately before Crocmedia got involved. It’s a bit of re-writing history to say he co-founded SEN. I don’t think he had any connection to SEN when it started in 2004.

7 Likes

This is why they should never have given up Mark Fine

Digging into Matty Johns new Sydney Based Morning Glory on the SEN App right now, Kinda Cool to Listen to 1170am, DAB+, Online or the App.

Just heard an ad on SEN during the Matty Johns show from the Council of Churches promoting the spirit in sport (didn’t catch it all) and how they’ve been associated with 1170 (no mention of 2CH only the frequency) since some year that was quoted.

Must be some community service deal that has been struck with Hutchy.

I must say so far the programming and presentation has been good and far more enjoyable then what I sampled from the egomaniacs on the former MSR.

EDIT: SEN is now available on the Sonos Radioapp API.

4 Likes

Also just heard an ad advising that 2CH can be heard on digital radio and the SEN app.

2 Likes

Not sure if anyone has tuned in this morning. At times , the Audio sounds highly compressed or harsh . I am NOT blaming 40 K for that, I think on AM radio it also sounds unusual. It is the Microphone issues? Or the link out of the studio. I don’t know.

2 Likes