SEN (Radio)

SEN 1170 Sydney is launching at 6:00am on Thursday, The Australian is reporting.

Also mentioned is that Matthew Johns weekly show starts on Friday, and that SEN has been in talks with his brother Andrew Johns to join him on the program.

2 Likes

Ray Hadley said he is “shaking in his boots” with Matthew Johns once a week appearance! what a load of nonsense who is really going to bother listening to Johns.

2 Likes

I would think he was joking…

Also, he is starting on Friday, but the show will run weekdays.

The radio geek in me has actually enjoyed hearing Melbourne’s 1116 SEN broadcast into Sydney via DAB+.

I wonder if they’ll replace SEN3 in Melbourne with 1170 SEN on DAB+.

Just like Sydneysiders with AFL, I’m sure there’d be some Melbournians who’d enjoy some NRL talk.

7 Likes

Would make a lot of sense. Likewise running the SEN SA and then SEN Spirit breakfast shows on SEN2.

If they are going to have 3 SEN feeds, they should make the most of their content.

Though they really need to make SEN3 a listenable bitrate first - it still sounds dreadful.

6 Likes

Apparently Adam Peacock will host a Saturday morning show on SEN NSW.

I’d like to hear a bit more variety on the overnights. In SEN SA we get the same content repeated, I am sure they could do a couple of interviews from each of the breakfast shows around the country. I don’t know how hard that is to pre program though.

2 Likes

So SEN fixed this pretty quick - SEN3 is no more on DAB now, with SEN2 bumped up to 48k. Seems to just be a full simulcast of the main station.

Maybe that’d make sense - SEN2 becomes a SEN Sydney simulcast, occasionally swapping out live sport if the rights differ or some other actual use of them needing the second station?

7 Likes

Sounds good. No need for SEN3 now. Between the main channel, SEN Track and SEN2 they have plenty of channels for overflowing live sport in Melbourne now.

Hopefully SEN2 is mostly a SEN Sydney simulcast as you say with bits of content from SEN SA thrown in too.

4 Likes

1170 SEN seem to be putting a lot into their NRL GF broadcast. A shame having so many resources and talent put into it - but nobody will be aware of the station in such a short time.

That’s unless we get flooded with print and TV ads promoting the new station.

… I wonder if they’ve brought any advertising on Channel Nine? …

3 Likes

I assume it’s just the NRL Nation coverage that is already syndicated around Australia anyway. Not like they are wasting resources.

1 Like

The audio loop has commenced with their online stream.

Is the DAB+ channel playing the same?

You can also see the open line & text numbers that’ll be used. It’s 1300 SEN SEN as predicted.

2 Likes

Yes, the DAB+ channel is playing the same audio loop.

2 Likes

I was actually lucky enough hear the moment the loop began on the DAB+ channel for 1170 SEN, the audio was rather clipped so they switched to a programming feed for a couple of minutes before returning!

4 Likes

It is 3A, 40 bit.

So in summary

1170 SEN = 40 Bit 3A
2CH Classic Hits = 64 Bit 4A
SEN = 32 Bit 4A
SENtrack = 32 Bit 4A
Niche Radio = 32 Bit 3A

6 Likes

Anybody listen to the launch of SEN Sydney? Thoughts?

Is it just sport talk? Or a bit of news stuff?

And which news service do they take?

Yeah. I was wondering the new service. It’s ok I guess, it feels like MSR a bit on repeat. Happy they will cover news which is an improvement over MSR. Funny the simulcast it on 1539 too in Sydney. I wish they could sneak 2ch on that frequency.

I believe the Sydney breakfast show will be simulcast on SEN Track stations in NSW ongoing.

2 Likes

SEN Sydney is not on RadioApp yet I’ve noticed. I suppose that will take a little while. Ditto for Tunein (via Sonos API) and Sonos Radio.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison was special guest on the first Andrew Voss breakfast show today.

SEN co-founder (Craig) Hutchison was listening from lockup in Melbourne and he told Mediaweek that the first ratings for the new station will be released in GfK Survey 1, 2021. Ratings for 2CH will from now on be available in the DAB+ data released each survey day.

1 Like

It’s in the app now

4 Likes