SEN (Radio)

Who in their right mind has a radio that goes to 1620+ let alone bothering to tune & listen to a scratchy broadcast?
I don’t get it & I don’t get where all the money is coming from to by these licenses & sports rights…it’s like they have a bottomless pit

You can buy one from Jaycar, but I doubt that you can buy one from JB HiFi, Bing Lee, The Good Guys, Harvey Norman, Kmart, Target, BigW, Coles and Woolworths. I’ll have to do a search to see if you can.

1 Like

Ditto. My new car radio goes up to 1701 but I’ve yet to get a decent signal on any station above 1602. Reception is so faint and scratchy I could never bother. I don’t know how they expect even modest numbers tuning in for any amount of time

Even stations like 1377 are crap up that high. RN is easily the best for me or anything else low down on the dial.

I find 3KND to be okay on 1503 - so I think it’s more down to neglect of the broadcast site. I know 3MP planned a big coverage improvement while they were MTR, but that I assume all fell through when the station reverted to MyMP.

1 Like

I can get 1422 and 1503 OK but I’m probably on the right side of town for their transmitters. 1377 reception is average but it’s coming from Rowville or something? Even 1593 whoever that belongs to comes in well. But anything above 1600 seems to be largely unlistenable.

When Radio 2 was about in Central Queensland (think it was over 1600AM, can’t remember what exactly but it was beyond 4CC’s 1584 relay) I could pick that up OK the closer I was to the Fitzroy River, but not so well further towards the north or south. Almost had to hold the dialer on the transistor down to get it such was how far up the band it was.

1 Like

In the early 1980s my dad wanted to listen to 2RPH Radio for the Print Handicapped which was on 1629AM or thereabouts, and I was curious to listen to VL2UV the University of NSW radio station which I think was on 1750AM. I remember that there was a newspaper article that explained how to modify a portable AM radio so you could listen to these stations. It simply involved using a screwdriver to slightly turn what I think was a transformer. (?) I did it for two radios so my dad and I could then listen to both stations.

My question is, can you still do this with AM radios that are made today so anyone who really wanted to listen to SEN on 1611 and above could do that?

1 Like

Yes, 1377 is from Rowville. 1593 is Rete Italia - one of the few licences Crocmedia didn’t acquire - with the stick out on O’Herns Road, Epping.

1 Like

SEN has expanded into Mt Gambier, broadcasting on 1629AM.

More: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/sen-launches-1629-sen-mt-gambier

4 Likes

They are starved for good media in Mt Gambier with WIN as TV licensee and a curious newspaper operator.

Whilst piped in from Adel and Melb, at least SEN will add to choices.

Hopefully coverage is good from their stick.

4 Likes

It’s just a Direct Relay of SEN SA, Just like all three of WIN’s Main TV Channels in South East SA with Local Ads and News Updates.

1 Like

Ha! That’s brilliant.

I’m sure if Caralis could have all his stations have the same name and same frequency he’d do it too.

For the first time, every game of Big Bash League season will be broadcast live on SEN in Melbourne, Adelaide and Mount Gambier. It seems that Crocmedia still hasn’t sorted out the frequency issue in Hobart, so Hurricanes fans will miss out on analogue broadcast of their matches for another season.

1 Like

?

I still say how lame it is that Mt Gambier was hurried along only because it is the same frequency as SEN SA.

If there are any other 1116AM or 1624AM frequencies available please let Hutchy know ASAP.

I was referring to this. Below was posted on July 29 this year.

2 Likes

I’d missed that, thanks.

What is on 1638 currently in Hobart - 2ME?

I put in a complaint. In response, ACMA have in essence told me that because it is not a 100% simulcast and because there is a range of other commercial and national radio and television services available in the area that what Pacific Star is doing is perfectly legal.

You were/are spot on.

4 Likes

How much exclusive programming is on 1377? Very little from what I have heard

1 Like