SEN (Radio)

Frankly, that was going to happen to whatever replaced 4KQ due to the station’s loyal listeners and the strength of feeling they evidently have about it.

Having said that though, being angry about SENQ’s launch on the 693AM frequency isn’t going to bring back 4KQ. ARN had to sell a station for regulatory reasons and rightly or wrongly, they decided to sell 4KQ.

3 Likes

Hard to believe there was so much love for an AM 4KQ that used 1920’s technology - be interesting to see the backlash when the 600MHz TV band clearance possibly kills off some multi channels and obsoletes lots of old plasma’s and LCD’s.

2 Likes

the station still had a market share of around 10% IIRC, so it’s probably not that hard to believe.

5 Likes

A point that despite being repeated seems to be lost on most.

4KQ’s gone, move on, life changes and those that survive changes prosper.

The radio landscape is changing for better or worse.

3 Likes

The switch to SEN hasn’t changed the technology being used though.

3 Likes

Like many I have listened on DAB for about a decade, not AM.

5 Likes

Not really up to you to tell people how to feel or think.

3 Likes

Apologies I’ll let others wallow in self pity while I’ll sit here enjoying a beer while living a happy and fulfilling life.

1 Like

You forgot ‘and being passive aggressive.’

2 Likes

Yes, but even then, by @dutymainttech’s suggestion of AM being 1920’s tech & why was there so much love for it regarding 4KQ, DAB is 1980’s tech, it was first developed in 1981 & first test transmissions were in 1985, around the same time as commercial FM was starting in Australia, so I don’t know why some people think it’s new tech either?

And most of the 4KQ listeners would’ve been listening on AM not DAB+. I’ve always said, it’s not about the tech being used, or how old it is, it’s all about the content that’s on the technology.

Remember people still enjoy listening to 56k mp3’s, & just look at the bit rates of most of the DAB+ stations, it’s not what most in here would consider High-Fidelity sound, but be honest, electrical interference aside, 32k AAC DAB+, I wouldn’t say is any better than analogue AM, maybe not even as good as AM.

4 Likes

Well FM radio technology is from the 1930s.

2 Likes

I noted today 4kq was no longer simulcasting SEN on iHeartradio like it was doing on Friday morning. It’s gone from iHeartradio if you do a search (other than some podcasts).

It’s interesting that they haven’t filled up the dab yet. I guess the situation was different with 2ch, as they kept it going for a couple of weeks (or was it over 1 month? ) before taking over 1170 (given they adopted the staff of 2CH).

2 Likes

A bit random, but according to this Radio Today article (SEN bolsters on-air talent stocks ahead of SENQ launch):

693 SENQ will also continue with tradition, with the famous Christmas Lights competition to continue in 2022.

That will be interesting to see. A sports station running a Christmas Light competition. Will it be able to get enough attraction as 4KQ did?

It will also be interesting to see if SEN have also taken over 4KQ’s Commercial AM Radio media partner role for the upcoming Ekka as well.

4 Likes

4KQ is also gone from RadioApp too, as I had it as a favourite and it is no longer there. SENQ not on there as yet.

3 Likes

It’s time for the Christmas Light Tradition handed over to KIIS 97.3, they’ll do a great Job.

2 Likes

Yeah interesting, I just feel the Christian thing and gambling advertising doesn’t mix well. Esp on 1170 where they still have those obligations to the church. I don’t know if this would be too conservative but they would get 30 to 40% of revenue from gambling advertising?

1 Like

No ekka goes to 973 as does Xmas lights

My bet is we’ll see BOTH SENQ and KIIS97.3 do their own Christmas Lights competition.

We all know who’ll be more successful.

Heck, I wonder if 4BH will also bring that across to 1116AM as well?

2 Likes

The 4KQ one (which will become the 97.3 one) was the only competition sanctioned by local Brisbane Metro councils.

There’s only so much Christmas joy around.

2 Likes

SENQ must have their own Run Home as it the Moment there relaying 1170 SEN Sydney’s.