SBS World Movies

2 Likes

Promo loop has now started on LCN 32

5 Likes

In Canberra channel 32 is still Viceland SD at the moment.

1 Like

Literally the same for me. Maybe SBS World Movies will only see a accidental soft-launch through Foxtel and Metro Free-To-Air…

2 Likes

So i guess it’ll just be a free-to-air channel then.

1 Like

what?

2 Likes

He thinks Foxtel can “accidentally” start broadcasting a new channel.

5 Likes

No, it’s that Canberra doesn’t have the promo loop yet and SD Viceland is still there (basically downconverted HD from what I saw), even the LCN hasn’t changed!

What does Canberra’s situation have to do with Foxtel?

1 Like

SBS are trying to avoid being government-funded and launch new channels in metro areas only since Prime didn’t pick up 7Food Network quickly following the SBS Food rebrand, and that’s why SBS Viceland SD is still there in some areas. At least that’s my theory

What’s SBS got to do with Prime carrying the food network? There has been no mention from SBS that World Movies is not being carried in regional markets

This does not make sense

7 Likes

I just thought SBS World Movies was just being launched because it deserves to be on Free to air, and we actually have a movie channel that doesn’t just play american movies?

Loving the conspiracy theories but i don’t think SBS are really doing anything involving the government. Can you explain how you came to this conclusion?:stuck_out_tongue:

Without government funding SBS would close down. Income sources from last year’s annual report:

2 Likes

Even though SBS was possibly the one major Australian broadcaster he wasn’t seen on, how sad is it to hear that Bill Collins (who’s long career and the memories of it, I’m sure will generate some discussion in the TV History sections of these forums soon) won’t get to see the launch of SBS World Movies on July 1?!

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m sure not all the films which are expected to be played on the SBS World Movies channel would be to Bill’s own personal tastes. But at the same time, I think he’d also be happy that TV viewers without access to Foxtel will soon be able to watch at least one channel dedicated to movies.

6 Likes

Why does that even matter? Why would you preface your comment with that?

Why would you relate his death today with the World Movies channel?

Proving to @JBar I know how to use Google, Bill Collins did appear on SBS reviewing movies.

https://www.sbs.com.au/guide/video/11716163760/Movie-Soundtracks-with-Bill-Collins

1 Like

Maybe because…SBS World Movies is the country’s first free to air movies channel and Bill Collins was passionate about movies?

Just thought I’d make an interesting observation, no disrespect or malice intended.

Well in that case, I stand corrected and have learnt something new! :slight_smile:

Like Bill Collins’ stint presenting movies for WIN Television, I don’t think his guest appearances on SBS were mentioned in many of the media tributes.

Yay! :smile:

1 Like

The pre-launch loop is now available in Canberra:

6 Likes