SBS World Movies

It doesn’t appear to apply to SBS, and the restriction on screening MA 15+ films only after 9:00 pm also doesn’t seem to apply to SBS and ABC as the relevant sections in the Broadcasting Services Act doesn’t appear to apply to the national broadcasters.

2 Likes

Let’s hope so, otherwise that’s less than two films per day :thinking:

I would have liked to see a combo of foreign language films and foreign language television series - there’s a heap of the latter on SBS on Demand.

6 Likes

Essentially an all LOTE channel?

2 Likes

Yep, 100% LOTE for sure. There’s some fantastic stuff on SBSoD, and I’d say foreign language drama/tv series has got wider appeal these days given there’s so much available on Netflix and the like.

1 Like

So… that 1-ups SBS to three HD MPEG-4 channels (two of which will be HD-only) with a total of six channels in all.

Not bad for the last network to convert their primary channel HD simulcast to MPEG-4!

5 Likes

They need to make room. They still don’t have NITV appearing in the TV guide.

2 Likes

If they remove 5% of the Home and Away stories they could put in the missing content 100 times over!

5 Likes

They’ve put up an FAQ which confirms Viceland SD is gone and they’ll remove it earlier on 17th June. They also hint that a carriage deal with Foxtel isn’t done yet.

I do hope they take this opportunity to finally update their VAST offering and launch Viceland HD.

6 Likes

Good to see Viceland moving to an all-HD channel as well as SBS relaunching World Movies on FTA

5 Likes

Well, it’s not “moving” really. It’s already available on HD.

3 Likes

Ok, I only just found out about this. how the hell is it that SBS will now have 3 HD channels while all the other stations are still way behind the times?

10 Likes

To their credit, SBS are being more aggressive about using MPEG4 (eg; Viceland becoming a MPEG4 only HD channel) compared to the other networks

8 Likes

New logo registered with IP Australia.

33%20PM

12 Likes

Nice find! Just knocked up a higher res copy based on that:

13 Likes

Same font as The Feed logo?

1 Like

I was pretty close to that, but the grey lines on the W and M I didn’t except…

I would have used blue.

2 Likes

Think logos submitted with IP Australia are generally in black and white only so a coloured version will probably be used on-air

It reminded me a bit of World Movies’ previous logo

7 Likes

Didn’t 10 screen Saving Private Ryan at 8.30pm (its premiere) with an MA15+ rating?

IIRC It came with an additional warning at the start that the movie would have limited commercial breaks (about every 20-30 minutes) and that the first 30 minutes was commercial free and was a warning about the brutality of that opening scene

I am sure I am not remembering this wrong

You remember correctly. It was very unusual and i’ve never seen anything like it since.

1 Like