SBS (main channel) - Programs and Schedules

Knightfall

Thursday 1 February at 8.30pm

The search for the Holy Grail begins Thursday 1 February on SBS

Their story is the stuff of legend, and now the world of the Knights Templar is coming to the screen in new historical drama Knightfall. The most powerful, wealthy and mysterious military order of the Middle Ages, the warrior monks were at the heart of medieval politics and warfare until suddenly they weren’t.

In an epic exploration of the Knights Templar, Knightfall chronicles the history of the elite warriors of the Crusades. It delves into the great secrets they protected, and tells the story of faith, loyalty and brotherhood that helped sustain these warriors on the battlefield until the dark events that would forever sear the infamous date of Friday the 13th into the world’s psyche.

The highly-anticipated drama series premieres in Australia with a double episode on Thursday 1 February at 8.30pm on SBS and continues Thursdays at 9.30pm. SBS On Demand will have a sneak preview of the first episode available from 25 January.

From the creative minds of Don Handfield (The Founder) and Richard Reyner (L.A. Without a Map), Knightfall is executive produced by Jeremy Renner (Captain America: Civil War), with Dominic Minghella (Doc Martin, Robin Hood) acting as showrunner and executive producer.

The 10-episode series stars Tom Cullen (Black Mirror, Orphan Black), Pádraic Delaney (Dark Touch), Simon Merrells (Spartacus), Olivia Ross (Personal Shopper), Ed Stoppard (Genius), Sabrina Bartlett (Da Vinci’s Demons), Jim Carter (Downton Abbey) and Julian Ovenden (Downton Abbey).

From their battles in the Holy Land to their complex relationship with the King of France to the betrayal that would ultimately lead to their tragic dissolution, the story of the Knights Templar has never been fully told until now.

In a new SBS documentary, 10 Muslim Australians with different views on their faith live under one roof for eight days to explore what it means to be a Muslim in modern, multicultural Australia.

SBS has reportedly picked up the FTA rights to Homeland.

1 Like

Lucky I stumbled across Homeland in the guide yesterday, with just a day to spare. I thought it would probably end up on Foxtel after Ten lost it. I wouldn’t have guessed SBS. This show was my main concern after the upheaval at Ten.

Didn’t know that SBS was running a Chinese New Year-themed Breakbumper/Ident…

This one was captured from SBS VICELAND HD in Brisbane (thanks to Flemishdog for the recording), but I presume it’s also being used on the main channel since it’s kind of promoting SBS Radio.

1 Like

They did it last year too. Noticed it last week on a recording I had from this time last year.

1 Like

Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras

Sunday 4 March at 8.30pm.

Magda Szubanski and Joel Creasey join Urzila Carlson and Patrick Abboud to host the 40th Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras on SBS

In celebration of the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras’s 40th anniversary, SBS brings a special, glitter-filled broadcast of the event to living rooms across the nation on Sunday, 4 March at 8.30pm.

Fresh off the back of an epic year for the LGBTIQ+ community, actress and equality activist Magda Szubanski, comedian Joel Creasey and The Feed’s Patrick Abboud are joined by comedian and television personality Urzila Carlson to host coverage of the event.

Magda Szubanski said: “Mardi Gras is a spectacular celebration of equality, pride and self-expression that promotes a broader message of diversity and acceptance. I’m so proud to be hosting for SBS again in 2018 – after a year of monumental change in Australia. Bring on the glitter cannons!”

Joel Creasey said: “I’m so thrilled to be hosting the broadcast of the 40th anniversary of the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras. As a gay man, (you’re shocked, I know) Mardi Gras is a chance for all members of our community and beyond to come together and celebrate all things LGBTIQ+ and all things fabulous. I am particularly stoked to be working alongside Magda, Urzila and Patrick - a dream team if I’ve ever seen one! Strap up, strap on and strap in, Australia!”

The Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras is one of the world’s largest and most high profile LGBTIQ+ celebrations. Having started as a civil rights protest in 1978, Mardi Gras has grown into an opportunity to celebrate diversity, equality, inclusion and pride on a global scale.

Following last year’s historic same-sex marriage vote, this year’s Mardi Gras will be a celebration of how far the LGBTIQ+ communities and their allies have come in the last 40 years, as well as a reflection on the community’s hopes for the future.

Urzila Carlson said: “I’m so excited for 2018 and for our community. Not only do we have marriage equality but it’s also the 40th birthday for Mardi Gras. My leather is polished, my tassels are fluffed - who knows I might even wear heels! (Just kidding, no heels). Get your fab on Sydney!”

Patrick Abboud said: “This year, more than ever before, it’s so important that we are celebrating those unsung heroes that have fought the good fight for equality over the past four decades. I’m looking forward to taking you on a walk down memory lane during the broadcast with a special series of stories I’m working on. Happy 40th birthday queer family!”

The television broadcast will feature the best and brightest floats and costumes in the parade, interviews with special guest and celebrities including international music icon Cher, commentary from Magda Szubanski and Joel Creasey, as well as on the ground coverage from Urzila Carlson.
The Feed’s Patrick Abboud will present a series of stories which introduces us to parade participants, the people and special meanings behind the floats, and the stories of Mardi Gras marchers– including the 78’ers who pioneered this global event 40 years ago.

SBS Director of Television and Online Content, Marshall Heald said: “The Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras is an iconic Australian event. It celebrates the triumphs of the LGBTIQ+ communities whilst promoting the universal messages of unity, inclusion and acceptance – values that are relevant to all Australians. It is an opportunity to celebrate diversity and SBS is truly proud to offer viewers a front row seat to the 40th Anniversary event.”

A live stream of the parade will be available on SBS On Demand and the SBS Twitter account on Saturday, 3rd March. SBS Radio 3 will join forces with Australia’s premier gay and lesbian community radio station, JOY 94.9 for a Mardi Gras weekend simulcast, which can be accessed via the SBS Radio mobile app, digital radio and around Australia on digital television.

SBS Celebrates Mardi Gras across the network:

Black Divaz
Premiering Thursday, 1 March, NITV’s commissioned documentary Black Divaz goes beyond the make-up, the glue guns and the glamour of drag, following the Inaugural Miss First Nations Drag Queen competition.

SBS VICELAND
From Thursday, 15 February on SBS VICELAND, The Feed’s Patrick Abboud will present a collection of LGBTIQ+ shorts, created by emerging filmmakers. Developed as part of the Generator Emerging Film Fund with Create NSW, each of the shorts celebrates LGBTIQ+ diversity through a wide scope of themes including LGBTIQ+ acceptance in multicultural communities, small-town bigotry and family acceptance amongst others. Patrick will go behind the scenes, providing exclusive access and interviews with the filmmakers. The collection will be available on SBS On Demand from Thursday, 8 February.

SBS On Demand
SBS On Demand will host a Rainbow Pride Movie collection, with titles such as Brokeback Mountain, Holding the Man, Heartbeats and My Beautiful Laundrette, starring Daniel Day-Lewis. SBS On Demand will also premiere Don’t Ever Wipe Tears Without Gloves – a powerful Swedish drama exploring love in the shadow of AIDS.

1 Like

The Good Fight - Season 2

From Wednesday 7 March at 9:40pm on SBS and afterward at SBS On Demand.

2 Likes

Ways to watch Mardi Gras live:

On Saturday March 3, you can watch the Mardi Gras parade live in all its glimmering fabulousness from wherever you are in the world, via SBS On Demand and SBS Australia’s Twitter and Facebook.

Then on Sunday night, you can join our hosts Patrick Abboud, Joel Creasey, Magda Szubanski, and Urzila Carlson for our special Mardi Gras broadcast, including hilarious Mardi Gras commentary, a behind the scenes look at the parade and insightful stories that delve deeper into the issues faced by the LGBT+ community. The broadcast will also be streamed live on SBS On Demand.

Dateline

Officer Ilona Reporting For Duty

Tuesday 6 March at 9.30pm

Women were banned from 450 jobs in the Ukraine, but now the police force is leading the way on gender reform. They’re recruiting frontline female officers in a bid to change their brutal and bloody reputation.

Who Do You Think You Are?

From Tuesday 17 April at 7.30pm

Excellent. Thanks for that @TV.Cynic

1 Like
The Ropes

Screen Australia today announced production funding for several TV projects including Lingo Pictures’ drama The Ropes for SBS, a four-part miniseries set in Sydney’s Western suburbs that follows a young Iraqi-Australian woman chasing her dream to become an elite boxing trainer. Produced by Helen Bowden and Courtney Wise, executive produced by Jason Stephens, directed by Shannon Murphy, and written by Tamara Asmar, Adam Todd and Ian Meadows.

26 April 8.30pm

SBS has bought the rights to Danish relationship drama Ride Upon The Storm from StudioCanal at MipTV this week.

SBS has also bought PBS Frontline documentary Trump’s Takeover, which tells the inside story of US President Donald Trump’s vow to take down the Washington establishment, and his fight to control the Republican Party.

Next of Kin

From Thursday 3 May at 9:40PM

The 6-part gripping drama follows Pakistan-born, London-bred GP, Mona (Archie Panjabi) who lives in London with political lobbyist husband Guy (Jack Davenport). On the same day a bomb goes off in London, Mona’s brother, Kareem, is abducted and murdered in Pakistan, shaking Mona’s charmed life to its core.

The situation escalates when Mona realises that her now deceased brother’s son Danish - also known as Danny - has vanished from university and is being linked to both the bombing and the murder of his father.

With the family facing accusations and becoming embroiled in a tangled web of betrayal and conspiracy, Mona finds herself confronted with the ultimate dilemma: how far would you go to keep your family safe?

The series stars Emmy Award winner and Golden Globe nominee, Archie Panjabi (The Good Wife, The Fall), and renowned actor, Jack Davenport (Pirates of the Caribbean, Smash).

Untold Australia - Season 3

From Wednesday 16 May at 8.30pm

Untold Australia, the documentary series that unearths some of the most fascinating and unreported stories from Australia’s diverse and sometimes eclectic communities, is returning to SBS for a third season.

The series is made up of four stand-alone broadcast documentaries and an online interactive documentary, each one telling stories that will entertain, surprise and make you question why you’ve not heard about them before.

Episode 1:
Lebanese Beauty Queens that goes behind the scenes of Australia’s most controversial beauty pageant. For 16 years the pageant has attracted the who’s who of Sydney’s Lebanese community, as the daughters of proud families compete to be crowned Miss Lebanon Australia.

It will be a big weekend for SBS on May 19-20 as it will have live coverage of the royal wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, as well as the FA Cup soccer final between Chelsea and Manchester United.

Filming began in Sydney today for the four-part drama The Ropes, starring Keisha Castle-Hughes, Jack Thompson and Nicole Chamoun.

The Great Fire of London

Sunday 24 June at 7:35pm and 8:30pm and Monday 25 June at 7:35pm

350 years ago, the Great Fire of London was the most devastating fire Britain has ever experienced. It destroyed almost the entire old city and has become a national memory burnt into the British consciousness. 350 years on, what do we actually know about what happened?

Now, this exciting, three-part series will take us inside one of the most significant events in British history - in a way we’ve never seen before. Investigating the truisms, a team of presenters will use 21st century science and new historical evidence to reveal the Great Fire of London as it really happened.