Royal Wedding 2018

Given Seven have Saturday AFL network commitments and apparently in 2011 they did move AFL to 7Two, my immediate question is

1. What were the Royal Wedding ratings like then?

2. Are Royal Wedding ratings expected to be similar now.

I am not trying to compare with the MKR on Anzac Eve situation and Royal Wedidngs are huge, multi-media events. But if ratings for Harry and Meghan were going to be well down, I wonder if the AFL would push (at least in Melbourne) to keep AFL on main channel? 200k (give or take) is at least what Royal Wedding would have to get to be deemed so, I’d have said.

2 Likes
  1. This would have taken you literally five seconds to google, but my recollection is they were fucking huge.

2. No, for a variety of reasons.

I have a feeling AFL actually went on the main channel that night in 2011, in some states.

2 Likes

It did. Royal wedding went on 7Two in AFL states and from memory rates something like 1.7 million on channel 7 alone for the pre show.

As quoted form the TV Tonight audience linked above:

By the time the wedding itself aired, 8pm AEST, Seven had AFL commitments in some cities and continued the wedding on 7TWO. Seven’s audience was 1.51m for the ceremony but 7TWO had another 513,000.”

So that’s 2 million watching the ceremony on 7 by my understanding across 7 and 7Two. The combined audience across all channels was therefore massive and I don’t see a reason it won’t be similar (though perhaps slightly smaller??) this time around.

1 Like

i’d say that the AFL would push for to keep AFL on main channel.

1 Like

They will be lucky to crack the million this time around IMO.

1 Like

SBS coverage

You’re invited to the royal wedding of the year!

SBS cordially invites you to celebrate the matrimony of His Royal Highness Prince Henry of Wales and Ms. Meghan Markle, at Windsor Castle in England, live on Saturday, 19 May from 7.30pm AEST on SBS and SBS On Demand.

Marshall Heald, Director of TV and Online Content, SBS, said: “SBS will provide a unique broadcast of what is undoubtedly one of the biggest royal weddings of our era. It will be warm, funny and intelligent, whilst examining issues this wedding raises, including cross-cultural marriages, the republican debate and what these issues mean for Australians.

“We know audiences want more than just commentary of the royal wedding and SBS will provide a place for that conversation. By bringing diverse and prominent Australians together in a live studio before the wedding begins, Royal Wedding LIVE will be an opportunity for us to explore the royal wedding in a unique SBS way which will give audiences a deeper insight.”

Fresh from Eurovision, TV and radio presenter Myf Warhurst and comedian Joel Creasey will team up with legendary journalist Ray Martin at SBS Artarmon HQ for Royal Wedding LIVE.

It has been reported that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle started dating in 2016 - and the couple have been creating headlines ever since. Their relationship has broken social, cultural and racial barriers – busting traditional norms of the British Monarchy and creating worldwide interest and conversation.

Filmed in front of a live studio audience, SBS’s Royal Wedding LIVE will begin at 7.30pm AEST and will include the big event itself. Hosts Myf, Joel and Ray will talk to a diverse line-up of guests to discuss what this wedding means to a modern, multicultural Australia. The panel will speak about a range of topical issues, plus they’ll chat to a royalist and republican about Monarchies across other continents and how they all stack up against the British. The trio will also delve into the royal wedding fashion including the bride’s gown and how it compares to other countries’ royal traditions.

With packages from The Feed’s Jan Fran, as well as SBS News European correspondent Ben Lewis reporting live from Windsor, SBS will provide distinctive coverage of this milestone global event that is steeped in tradition. Audiences at home will also be encouraged to have their say with live social television throughout the broadcast using the hashtag #royalwedding.

Myf Warhurst said: “Everyone loves a wedding and this one comes with a bonus - it’s an historic cultural moment! Harry and Meghan are walking in the footsteps of Princess Diana who not only pushed social and cultural norms, she set the precedent for outsiders marrying into the monarchy. Now we get to celebrate this and herald a new era for the royal family. With added frocks, and champagne. Hurrah!”

Ray Martin said: “Royal events are always spectacular - especially births, deaths and marriages. So along with the pageantry, it’s a perfect time to reflect on what the rich royal traditions mean to us - and our national identity. SBS is the perfect place to do it - with respect and hopefully a bit of joy, even fun.”

Joel Creasey said: “Full disclosure, I’m a huge Harry fan (both Styles and the Prince) and I love that he has casually overlooked traditional norms and followed his heart – someone who happens to be an American Hollywood star. What is more fab than that?”

‘Royal Wedding LIVE’ will air live Saturday, 19 May from 7.30pm AEST on SBS and SBS On Demand.

‘Royal Wedding LIVE’ is produced for SBS by Blink TV.

Did SBS cover the 2011 wedding of William and Kate?

3 Likes

SBS ONE (as the main channel was branded as back then, not sure about SBS TWO) ran normal programing on the evening of 29/4/2011.

I guess since Ten is likely to be the FTA network with mostly alternative programing the Saturday after next, SBS has decided to run their own Royal Wedding coverage.

Very surprised Kochie will be involved. Thought he would be busy in China.

Maybe Kochie will be in China in the week leading up to the AFL match (Gold Coast v Port Adelaide) in Shanghai, before flying direct to London to meet the rest of Sunrise team?

2 Likes

From my blog in 2011 there was no SBS coverage

SBS has decided not to partake in all this wedding excitement and its main channel SBS1 will broadcast its normal Friday night fare, including its late-night ‘adults only’ series How To Get More Sex

1 Like

The coverage from sunrise is the week leading up to China though.

Oops, I just realise that. So Kochie will only be able to spend 1-2 days max in China (if he chooses to) before flying to London.

2 Likes

For a young monarch like yourself your English could be better. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Well no. He will go from London to China.

1 Like

7, ABC and SBS are all putting more into this than they did for William & Kate, that surprises me!

2 Likes

10 will release their details in a few weeks time. I’m sure they’ll be coverage of some sort on Saturday week

They should have put more into William’s wedding than Harry’s since he is higher up the succession order to the throne and is more likely to be King. Why does Harry deserve more than his brother?

Does it really matter? I don’t think William is sitting at home in a sulk because his younger brother might be getting more wedding coverage in Australia than he was. Also William’s wedding was 7 years ago things do change over time.

6 Likes

So you’re saying future royal weddings will all be covered better than the last just because of how TV likes to hype things up more than they really should be these days? I don’t like that or agree with it one bit.

I’m not saying that but what happened 7 years ago doesn’t have to be the same as now.

2 Likes