Saving Ten

Neither did the BBL when Ten got the rights.

Maybe the banks are more likely to lend money to Seven based on its track record rather than Ten.

Yes it did. People forget the BBL was already massive for Fox Sports.

3 Likes

Yep, Turdall’s probably spot on.

This could be CBS’ long-term plan.

Why splash hundreds of millions, when $1b for the highest rating prime-time weekend sport would be much more viable.

…Because the way they’re going Ten could be dead by then?

No point saving up for a big holiday in 5 years if you’re barely able to keep yourself out of hospital.

3 Likes

So I’ve just been in Japan again. I’ve said this before here, and I think they are actually doing this to a degree. I think they need to go a bit “Japanese” and change their thinking :wink:. Aussie TV is pretty conventional. There, it’s all LIVE variety, comedy, talk, news-tainment, fun, crazy graphics all over the screen!!!@&*%+!!! The TV sort of explodes into life - it does not fade to black even for a second. 10 people read the news. The sports guy runs - yes, runs - onto the set (and that’s a new thing from the supposedly low-key NHK public broadcaster). And their 4:00 AM news looks like this: :flushed:

And the weather lady uses a big stick:

Btw, not saying we’re the same country.

I feel nauseous just looking at the photos. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

When do the Supercars come out again for negotiation?

Ten needs to become the home of motor sports again.

Personally as a Supercars fan I’d like to see this also, it really should be available to all audiences but the FTA model does not suit the nature of racing and Fox have been doing some good things for the sport albeit behind a paywall. Not only that but at what cost cost would this be to the network? The audiences aren’t big enough for the money they would need to secure the full broadcast rights and nearly all of the races aren’t even in prime time and/or failure to deliver the type of audiences to benefit their other programming to make it a worthwhile exercise.

1 Like

Ten will cease to exist in its current form by the time any new rights deals come up.

They’ll need to move on. What that is no one knows.

They will be virtually revenue less in December and January. They have no content for that period at all.

Ten now have not one exclusive sports deal at all. How tragic.

Yes its disappointing for TEN. The network will just have to ride on Entertainment (First run Drama/Movies etc) over the summer.

I am not so sure about that, CBS has come in and I don’t see them just giving up. I think that trying to get (more of) the Soccer rights could be a good option for Ten - not necessarily a night time rating bonanza, but maybe as a Saturday/Sunday afternoon sports event - build it up like they did with the Rugby League in the 1980s, also try and poach the QLD and NSW Rugby from Seven.

Then try for the Supercars/ more motor sports - both locally and abroad - possibly could air replays of the various international racing events on Saturday afternoon on Ten or One (depending on existing sports schedule)

Another opportunity could be NBL, WAFL and Netball these there especially if you could secure the WNBL as well could make it the home of the round ball game - and supporting womens sport, something that has been lacking in our country for a long time on commercial TV (except most recent WAFL and WBBL)

Something is better than nothing

All that sport is woeful content that doesn’t rate and no one cares about.

1 Like

I am sorry, but since when are you everyone???

Netball is a popular sport in Australia but somehow it doesn’t translate to massive ratings on TV. Nine’s five-year deal with Netball Australia started in October 2016, so Ten has a long wait if it wants to bid for the netball rights again.

2 Likes

There’s nothing available until early 2020s. By then who knows what ten will be doing even if they’re in existence.

Is that all the netball rights in Australia or just the internationals?

Just found this. Sports rights In Australia

also

Nine’s netball rights includes all domestic matches in Australia, plus the Australian Diamonds matches at home and abroad (Constellation Cup, Quad Series) but excludes the Netball World Cup.

It is my opinion, by 2030, each station will have at least 1 less channel

possibly changes would be

7Flix and 7Two merge
7Racing and the new racing channel may merge or 4me be rolled into 7Mate

9Life and 9Gem being merged

Multiple shopping channels may be merged and extra infomercials screen on the other channels

Ten will look at what they have, but if a change were to happen, then One may be merged with 11. Given they lost one home shopping channel, then that may be then end of it. Also, One and 11 may experience an increase in infomercials

SBS and ABC will probably stay the same for now

These are just possibilities with extra programming screening on their various catchup/on demand platforms

Lets keep this thread about all our expert opinions on fixing Ten yeah?

1 Like