Saving Ten

A network backed by a billion dollar company is not going to fall over in a couple of years. Stop being so hysterical.

5 Likes

Off-topic but I believe 4ME has already shutdown.

This thread is basically people’s opinions and ideas on fixing Ten, not for predictions of what the TV landscape of Australia is going to be like in 2030.

2 Likes

I’ll respond to the “future of multichannels” post in a more relevant thread, but I agree with this:

Maybe if the cricket deal happened a year ago you could be wondering whether Network Ten might shut down within the next 2-3 years, but with the backing of CBS (one of the largest media companies in the world) I think their future is reasonably secure.

1 Like

I think it would be great to be first to market with a commercial 24/7 news channel.

I have been watching CBSN Live for the past few weeks on iPad and Apple TV. It’s a great, low cost, no-frills service. Today it came into its own with direct crosses to journos in Syria, without the fluff and opinion that other channels use to pad out the day.

(ten)NEWS Channel or perhaps “TEN” [Ten Eyewitness News] with the CBS eye logo would work well.

Have signature tent-pole shows simulcast on the main network.

2 Likes

Hang on, don’t we already have one in ABC News?

Other countries have successful TV networks without major sport or news services. Look at Channel 4 and Channel 5 in the UK. They have heaps more multichannels associated with each too.

5 Likes

Clarify - first commercial 24/7 news channel to market.

Its not just sport they have lost, but content. Loosing the Simpsons and Modern Family to Seven was also a downfall.

1 Like

Which is why I’m suggesting a saturation of news. It’s cheap on-going content to fill a station that is sadly lacking it now.

Neither rated that well and I dare say haven’t affected the overall performance of the network, easily replaceable by other content deals on better terms which ensure the profitability of Ten.

My opinion is that Ten needs to make itself different to 7 and 9 during the day and the night time.

Perhaps (depending on who owns the rights now), a new season of Big Brother and maybe screen it later in the night, maybe 8:30pm or 9pm and be a more unrestricted program (ie more of a Big Brother Adults Only/Big Brother Up-Late style, rather than a 7pm fix) and then free up 7:30pm for new comedy/drama etc, something different to the 3 choices of reality TV we now have

As an example, its like Ten and Nine are almost identical between Midday and 3pm most weekdays. Ten needs something to be the point of difference. Plus re my suggestion of a show around midday, 7 has The Daily Edition at 2pm weekdays - so a talk/variety show could potentially work if they use the right talent

Maybe with interest waning in Family Feud, perhaps a new program needs to be found for 6pm or maybe look at downsizing The Project and start it at 7pm and pair Family Feud with another game show. If they decide to relocate Family Feud, and they did look at another game show concept for 6pm, then maybe an encore could air with Family Feud. Note CBS does have game shows in its late morning to mid afternoon schedule in all of its markets, so i don’t think its unreasonable to suggest they may consider it an option. Also noting 7 has The Chase at 3pm and The Chase Australia at 5pm

A sport they could try and secure the rights to and help develop in Australia is Gridiron. There is already an established governing body

http://gridironaustralia.org.au/

Ten are #1 in daytime, they’re fine there. Primetime should be their concern.

2 Likes

Why are we trying to make Australia more and more like America? Isn’t their affect on culture bad enough already?

We already have four codes of football with some struggling to find an audience. Why do you want another competing code?

5 Likes

because every body wants Australia to be america 2.0 and people think america is better then australia which is silly talk

Watch this space. Ten will launch Big Brother this summer.

3 Likes

I hope so, would be good to have something to watch over Summer that isn’t sport. Plus with the season being during the warm months, there will no doubt be less clothing.

3 Likes

It would make sense. It would fill up the many hours that BBL took up and with Ten no longer spending millions on the BBL they will have the funds to give to BB.

Best thing about running it over the summer is that they can absolutely saturate the schedule and take some big risks to create headlines and buzz.

The value of summer non-ratings being a time to experiment and try new things is massively underestimated in this country.

3 Likes

All I am saying there are options that could be looked at and developed. i am sure there are other concepts that could be developed further beyond sport or try and wrestle access to some of the other sports.

I can’t see it being run though Christmas and New Year’s though. Maybe it could start in January and end in the first weeks of ratings season.

1 Like