Saving Ten

I’m sorry, but “The Edge” sounds more like a celebrity and entertainment news program along the lines of Entertainment Tonight, as opposed to a proper news bulletin.

Local late news would also be another shot in the foot, and a highly unlikely move at that. If at all, it will most certainly be national late news, perhaps with updated Perth/WA windows.

3 Likes

Call me old-fashioned, but how about “Ten News”?

9 Likes

It’s 2018. It doesn’t work like that anymore.

How do you know? You have no evidence to back that up. Evidence from similar markets overseas is that local late news far outraged national. As for your objection to The Edge, it’s late night, it’s Ten. They need something that stands out.

seven news, nine news, abc news, sky news

yeah you’re right it doesn’t work like that anymore because there aren’t any tv organisations in Australia with (channel name) news as the program name.

5 Likes

I don’t mean that. I mean in the case of Ten. Even Nine News has differentiated itself in a tricky timeslot with Nine News Now. You’ll notice that the name I suggested for late news was “Ten News Edge” so we are splitting hairs on the name.

1 Like

Ooooooh…edgy. :rofl:

I say just license the Naked News concept and be done with it. :wink: :rofl:

2 Likes

Names like edge won’t work for news bulletin names. People relate that to tackyness. Ten News and The Project are good names to keep.

2 Likes

Which “similar markets”? The United States? Very different setup for markets, and different approaches relative to news.

And the name Nine News Now doesn’t really belong because it’s not a proper bulletin, mostly entertainment and magazine-style news. Plus it’s a daytime program.

You were suggesting a normal late bulletin that just has a different name.

1 Like

Surely it wouldn’t be difficult or of substantial extra cost to extend personnel an additional 2 - 3 hours per morning, to add a breakfast show along with a morning news bulletin to bookend Studio 10.

6 - 8am - Good Morning Australia with Hugh Rimminton and Chris Bath [poach her].
8 - 11am - Studio 10 [as is, remove studio audience]
11am Morning News [can be alternate hosted by GMA presenters]

Could you not put together a versatile Ajazeera set with two presentation areas where you could run both shows? Like this one. Each program can transition throw with a camera pan to the next. Flip the set around to expose the newsroom which is a massive asset for the network IMO.

1 Like

And where’s yours?

1 Like

I’m not saying to change all Ten News programs to The Edge - just late night news.

I showed an actual late local news called The Edge. On a FOX station - which has more than a few similarities to the Ten demo.

You can’t say Nine News Now doesn’t “belong”. Why not? Just because you say? And, yes, it’s daytime. I’m talking about late night.

By the way, unique names for late news is not new - Nightline, Nightcast anyone?

Why do we need to give it a different branding? Ten Late News, the last iteration of with different title cards worked quite well IMO.

All that needs to be done is eliminate ‘eyewitness’ from the branding.

Ten Morning News
Ten News at Five
Ten Evening News
Ten Late News

Ten Daily for news online.

‘Ten News, we have you covered, 24 /7’

These days, you need something with more oomph to get people to watch late news.

By the way, being local is part of that.

So? What says Australians are screaming out for over the top American style news presentation?

Can you tell me what was over the top about it at all?

By the way, almost every bit of Nine’s presentation is inspired by American local news.

Not to mention Sunrise and Today.

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you regarding local news. Simply depends on scheduling as to whether or not one would go down that route. Personally I wouldn’t as the cost wouldn’t be justified given how I would schedule Ten programming. Note though that I have added Ten Evening News, which is local.

I think ‘oomph’ means jackshit when your overall news brand is worth just that - ‘jackshit’, at the moment.

I believe building that up is of greater importance and a streamlined ‘24 / 7’ branding is the best way to achieve that at this stage.

Another marketing angle, of course, could be around the “Giving you the EDGE on info before you wake up…” kind of thing.