Saving Ten

Actually, mostly other users on Media Spy, but it is an opinion I agree with.

You still haven’t answered the main question: which “similar markets” overseas show that local late news is better than national late news?

The US and Canada of course. And before people start mentioning “The National”, more relevant to Ten is the comparison with Global and CTV.

Good luck poaching Bathie to do early morning anything.

2 Likes

Bring back Cheez TV

2 Likes

On which Channel @Bort???

So can I fantasy book this?

TEN HD should only be used for premium destination viewing content that is:

• Premium Children (local + international)
  • Premium Drama (local + international)
  • Premium Comedy (local + international)
  • Premium Sarcastic/Synical (local + international)
  • Premium Local News
  • Premium National News
  • Premium Reality TV (Masterchef the rest is junk and can be on the other channel mentioned below)
  • Premier (for FTA) Premium movies & Premium documentaries
  • Sports Tonight (with an emphasis on the Sport that Ten has rights to first then everything else)
  • Premium Current Events/Affairs (local + international)

Yes that’s right no SPORT (other than ST), their is a reason for that mentioned below.

Also they should have a hard shut down from 1:00am and re-start from 6:00am each day, there is no need to be on 24/7.

EVELEN be re-branded as CBS owned channel POP and be the home of:

• Music blocks (provided they can get cheap output deals from the labels to keep royalty payments low)
  • CBS & Ten content with heavy emphasis on general entertainment + various movie genre
  • kids cartoon blocks & variety prgraming
    can be 24/7

ONE be re-branded & also made HD, as for the name? ________HD it should be the home of the premium sport they have rights to + Reality TV + magazine shows + panel shows about a range of sports even one they don’t have access to, try to get UFC & Bellator MMA rights, hell even pro wrestling shows like RoH, Impact & even Lucha Underground & premium NJPW content to fill the hours of TV space, does not need to be 24/7, make it a palce where men & woman want to view as destination sports/reality and entertainment programming 24/7

TVSN can stay but make it channel LCN 15 and have that as national wide destination for premium home shopping (yes that’s a thing)

Dump Spree TV and use the datacast channel as a combination of CNN/BBC World & Al Jazerra selected programming & magazine shows + every local & national Ten News programming at various times of the day/night , hey even throw in WIN AAN content also, can be 24/7.

Of course this is what I would do
LCN 10 - TEN HD only on air from 6:00am to 1:am
reduce commercial spots to 7 minutes per 60 minutes, the additional time can be used for either 1 minute new updates or a combination of news, sport & weather or community service announcments

LCN 11 - POP (SD) 24/7
long form commercial advertising spots of 1 minute per break, 10 minutes max per hour during 10am to 10pm peak, off peak ad spots can be smaller time range but still limited to 10 minutes per hour (like how they do it in the US on many pay TV channels)

LCN 12 - ___________ HD 24/7 can’t think of a good name right now.
commercial brakes during live sporting events based on type of event, still limited to 10 minutes over 60 minutes max
during non live programming 5 minutes for commercial breaks over a 60 minute period & 5 minutes sports updates or community service announcements.

LCN 14 - WNC (as in World News Channels - SD)
LCN 15 - TVSN (SD)

Solid marketing campaign and push hard to win awards for future promotion, of course this is just what I would do to get Ten back on track.

A shutdown of the main channel is ridiculous. This isn’t 1970 - you say there’s no need to be on 24/7… but there ain’t a reason why it shouldn’t?! Those overnight advertorials actually bring in the $$$
As well as this if you cut commercial time it actually costs $$ even if the rates were higher per break. As well as this there are actually laws about how much commercial airtime can legally run in 30 and 60 minute blocks.

1 Like

yes a shut down would be needed, it destination programming, advertorials are not destination programming, it has to be all premium content on TEN HD.

if you tell advertisers they will get long form ad spots they will go for it, look at the North American market, it’s working there so will work here.

As for how much time they can sell, I would limit it to 7 minutes per 60 minutes slot, in general there are 14 to 17 minutes allowed per hour, so on that front the other 7 minutes can be used for updates giving them a total of 14 minutes of ad/updates per 60 minutes, since the channel will only run for 19 hours a day ad spots will become a premium offering.

I know its a radical idea but radical ideas are needed right now not the same thing everyone else is going.

The major benefit of a forced shut down for 5 hours over night are pushing viewers to the multi-channels on offer so that would be POP and the new HD channel or to the datacast combined news channel.

So at 1:00am (respective for each state time) the shut down will show a tite card advising viewers to switch to POP for great entertainment of to the new HD channel or if they want to watch combined news to go to that channel with royalty free background music.

Remember this is what I would do.

With only about 50% of the population able to receive MPEG4 HD channels, it isn’t a feasible option for any network to drop SD simulcasts. So if I am reading the above correctly, 50% of the market won’t be able to receive 3 of the channels listed including the main one. Or is this line up supposed to be ideal world stuff?

its actually now around 90% that have ability + there is freeview combined with casting devices.

it’s also mandated (oh how I hate that word) by law that the primary channel is MPEG2 which is why ABC, 7, 9, 10 and SBS are technically all breaking the law by saying “Live, free & in HD” … when the primary channel is actually SD based.

I did say fantasy booking, that said it all can be implemented right now if Ten want to balance the MUX.

If SBS can do

MPEG2 SBS SD, Viceland SD, Food SD & NITV SD +MPEG4 SBS HD + Viceland HD + several audio channels then Ten could do it easily also, in fact they all can, well maybe not WIN being they hate hate to spend money.

Definitely not 90%. Last indication we got of how many people couldn’t receive MPEG4 was when 7 changed 7Flix from MGE4 to MPEG2. and the ratings doubled.

Even if it was 80% capability, no network is going to give away 20% of their audience. I think it has been shown on numerous occasions that viewers aren’t that interested in HD, and will go for more content.

1 Like

No they arent, stop talking shit. Just because someone isnt able to access their HD service because of their viewing method thats not the broadcasters problem or issue

Except that everytime a channel has been launched in MPEG-4 it spawns considerable discussion “why can’t i get channel {X}” - we even have a thread somewhere that explains why

1 Like

Pretty sure that has changed now with sales of MPEG4 and even HEVC decoders taking off + the advent of Freeview app which are all MPEG4 stream-casts which allow for casting to TV Australia wide, of course depending on internet speeds and data-allowances.

That was 6 months into 7Flix which was at the time August 2016, its now almost 2 years later which is why I am saying it’s not a major issue any longer.

The advent of cheap MPEG4 TV’s from the likes of Polaroid, Kogan, Konka SoniQ and heaps of other brands has seen the levels of homes being able to view MPEG4 h.264 TV channels skyrocket, I mean just the other day I was in a Good Guys (now owned by I thinks its JBHIFI) had a special where they were selling TCL 55" UHD (remember UHD is not proper 4K DCI standard) for something like $500 and they were flying (well moving) out the door.

earlier in January I bought a 55" SONY (granted last years tech) HDR UHD non smart for $650 during the 1/2 yearly specials, it’s awesome as its DVB-T2 future proof :slight_smile:

that does not sound right, maybe 5 years ago but not today, did you see LCN 3 v LCN 30 during FWC? SBS were starving SBS SD, Vinceland SD, Food SD & NITV SD for all the spare bitrate they could afford to give up in order to have SBS HD & VICELAND HD at top spec during the ground stage games that were broadcast side by side.

The broadcasters do very much care that viewers ware watching the HD version over the SD primary version, if they did not then 7mate would still be HD as would GEM as would ONE.

irrelevent

Because DCI is the 4k standard for cinema - SMTPE is the TV standard

Has ACMA or the Commonwealth Govt changed rules on what primary channel service is? I don’t think they have which is why all FTA broadcasters since the shut down of analogue national wide still have their primary channel in MPEG2, the HD channels are complimentary by the FTA broadcasters, remember it was the commercial FTA multi-channels that were not allowed certain content at first (namely sport), IIRC the first multi-channel to have actual sport on it was 7two where Seven were doing repeats of VFL or Tennis depending to which market, ABC2 (not a commercial station) were showing classic motorsport (and they got into trouble due to breaking anti-tobacco rules doing so) then Ten started ONE (sports) and then swapped Ten HD (the 1st incarnation of it) and re-branded it as ONE HD, Seven sort of followed suite 7HD (the 1st incarnation of it) switched 7mate HD and then Nine with (the god awful) GEM channel, ABC did News (in 720p even though it was upscale from 576i) while SBS HD is the only channel to stay true to the primary SD channel at that time period.

TEN HD & 7HD in their 1st incarnation did carry different programming at certain times to the (then) primary analogue and SD channels, for example 7HD used to play movies every weeknight from 10pm while 7analogue/SD had standard programming.

So at present the rules are still SD 1st primary then anything else is complimentary, the fact that all (well with exception to some regional zones like 7QLD and I think some WIN, WIN/PRIME, SCB and I think Imparja?) major metro and regional providers have made their SD primary channel into complimentary HD.

As I said above, in the last 2 years prices on MPEG4 TV’s have come way way way down and many homes nation wide are upgrading , I am only guessing when i say 90% penetration rate but the reality is anyone with internet, smartphone and a casting mirror screen provision TV can have every channel in MPEPG4 today.

or they can buy a cheap MPEG4 set top unit to gain access.

For my 100% valid research on that - I stayed at 5 different places on a recent holiday in Tasmania, only one of the TVs was MPEG-4 capable (which hadn’t been rescanned since WIN was the Nine affiliate…).

I think that’s a reasonable indicator of the kind of TV sets that the general public buy - because most people won’t look beyond price tag when buying a TV - and certainly don’t replaced them quicker than they need to.

I don’t think any network should risk it. What I do think they should do is to reduce the bitrates substantially on any simulcast service. If you offer a HD channel - then the SD one should be near unwatchably bad to prompt that upgrade, but most people won’t care, and won’t be out a channel.

Example of that with arbitrary numbers

So I’d say Ten’s mux should look like:
Ten SD/One SD/Eleven SD - 544x576i MPEG-2 - 5Mbps combined VBR - average ~1.6Mbps + 3x 128kbps joint stereo MP2
TVSN/Spree - 544x576i MPEG2 - 2x1.5Mbps CBR + 2x 128kbps joint stereo MP2
Ten HD/One HD/Eleven HD - 1440x1080i MPEG-4 - 12Mbps combined VBR - average ~4Mbps + 3x192kbps AAC stereo audio

That gets you about 21.5Mbps, with the rest on the various extra data, like EPG, subtitles, etc.

2 Likes

Yes, changed in 2015 and 2016 - the primary service can be either SD or HD - see Federal Register of Legislation - Broadcasting Services (Primary Commercial Television Broadcasting Service) Declaration 2010

Not that this prevents the broadcasters from advertising their HD service whether or not its a version of the primary service or not - the primary service has other implications for content provisions (amongst other things)

1 Like

see I did not know that.

not since WIN lost the court case :slight_smile:

two different resoultions:

UHD 4K is 3840px x 2,160p scan lines 4K DCI is 4096px x 2160p scan lines

Big difference in bit & frame rate also, but that said I doubt we will see 4K DCI anytime soon , not many mobile devices can do DCI standard recording, my device can and it looks awesome but gees it consumes HDD space with its whopping 55Mbits bit rate, it’s almost like capturing RAW vision.

I’ll say it again, if SBS can do

SBS SD, Viceland SD, Food SD, NITV + several digital radio channels & 2 MPEG4 HD 1920x1080i channels then they all can do it.