Saving Ten

CBS letting them fall and over to enable shutting down the network and launch CBS All Access in Australia… call me a cynic, but 2023 network tv may not exist as today

Nine survive out of this due to Tennis.

There are no substantial sports rights deals available for Ten until 2021/2022 or there abouts.

Where do they go from here? Reinvest the $20m from Big Bash into News?

1 Like

Ten may have to revive XXXX Beach Cricket tournament which it covered for two seasons I believe.

Anderson is making McClennan look good. He must go! Desperately need a full clean-out.

To be fair, it will be hard for CBS to work with Cricket Australia after CA chairman David Peever called Ten “bottom feeder” in an email to CBS Studios International president Armando Nunez.

You don’t know that. Maybe he did but CBS weren’t willing to throw more into it.

2 Likes

McLennan got the rights for them. Anderson lost the rights.

You must be happy sitting there seeing the destruction of ten continuing.

But they were supposed to be the great saviour with all their money. Obvious not.

I think we can forget about seeing any real investment from CBS. They’re not going to spend the money needed to fix Ten.

I wanted Ten to win the rights. Another 100 mil with Nine and they would’ve got the rights. CA were practically begging Nine/Ten for it.

1 Like

I said that from day one but so many people thought CBS would just back up the truck to Ten and dump piles of cash in there. :joy:

1 Like

All I can say is good luck to Fox! People are not just gonna subscribe to Fox for cricket. It’s gonna loose the eyeballs and followers! Cricket Australia have been just too plain greedy! In the end its just gone too expensive just like the AFL for what advertising dollars you actually get out of it! Also how could 7 which has less money than the new Ten get it? Because of the Murdochs missing out on Ten last year.

1 Like

How do you know he didn’t?

1 Like

Sports Rights Ten could buy

Full coverage up from Simulcast/Highlights.

V8s from 2021 (Fox)
F1 from 2021 (Fox)
Rugby from 2021 (Fox)
MotoGP from 2019 (Fox)

Poaches
Golf from 2019 (Fox)
EPL in 2019 (Optus/SBS)
Wimbledon in 2020 (7)
Three FTA NBL Games in 2018-20 (ABC/SBS)
NFL from 2020 (7)

Still up for grabs
Rugby World Cup 2019
FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019
America’s cup from 2018

Obscure stuff they could carry
International Motorsport (Indycar, NASCAR, World Endurance Championship)
MLS Soccer from America
XXXX Beach Cricket
European Soccer

2 Likes

Now BBL is gone to Fox/Seven, what are Ten going to fill their summer schedule with?

Could this be the perfect opportunity for a summer season return of Big Brother (as happens on CBS)? It might generate some buzz with only sport and reruns on the other networks… Plus it fills plenty of hours in the schedule

6 Likes

Ten are in an interesting position now without the BBL over summer, no future onerous sporting contracts, no debt and no doubt a spare $100mil in the kitty per year at least for some new content.

It will be interesting to see what the network which generally provides the point of difference and alternative programming from its main commercial rivals is able to put together in the next 6 months…

1 Like

more cheap panel shows? That’s what the current management believe are the answer.

That could be an idea. But I think they need to worry about ratings season sports more down the track. They need the AFL.

I’m not sure they think that’s solely the answer, but Cram aside Ten generally do them better than any of the other networks when you look at HYBPA? and to a certain extent the relatively successful Hughesy We Have a Problem and it’s providing them with some short term solutions while they plan ahead under new ownership, to a bigger problem with not enough first run Australian content to air year round.

I’d rather them test out a bunch of various panel shows across different genres than serve up filler overseas content in prime time personally.

This is because of Working Dog, not Ten. Perhaps Ten are more patient with low ratings than Seven/Nine would be, though.

Also includes any future overseas tours by the Australian men’s cricket team, apart from 2019 ICC World Cup and 2019 Ashes series in England which will air on Nine. Ten only needs to negotiate with cricket boards of the host country to buy the rights (except for India which is more complicated - Star India, owned by 21st Century Fox, has all the rights).

Ten could do a 1 hour panel based show called FootyWorld and cover all football codes, not just specifically Rugby League or AFL.

A Wednesday night slot could work for it, possibly 9:30pm. In the Winter, they could cover NRL, AFL and Rugby Union as well as Soccer (including the end of domestic competition, the off-season stories), in Sumner, Soccer, NFL (yes allow some gridiron stories/content), plus off-season stories from NRL, AFL and Rugby Union.