Saving Ten

Still too niche. And they don’t have enough games to promote themselves as the ‘home of A-League’.

Wow…:joy::joy: I don’t see how this thread is any differant to any other thread. You are just rehashing the same old shit people! :joy::joy:

Honestly, at times it feels like the network is run by a bunch of jokers.

Their programming decisions are an utter joke.

The parent company CBS need to come in and sack all management positions. Bring in new blood.

Doesn’t have to be from a television background perse. People with bold, innovative ideas.

You only need to look at the new Tennis Australia deal to see what a difference a change in upper management can make.

I had no background in the a particular field when I took over a bankrupt firm. Now we have offices in 8 countries and run at a whopping 45 percent net profit. First thing I did when I took over, cleaned house.

Heck, give me an $800m budget, free reign and 2 years and I guarantee I can make the network profitable and competitive again.

2 Likes

Care to share any of your ideas?

I came up with an idea for a TV show that is am not sure if its been done in the format I am discussing either in Australia or abroad but here goes. Thoughts on this idea including issues regarding complexity of the concept and thoughts on whether an it could find an audience

Possible Title: Wrong Number

(Suggested) Program Length: 30 minutes

Frequency of episodes: Weekly, with possibility of expanding the format if successful

Concept:
A member of the studio audience is given a scenario in which they makes a prank call to a randomly drawn telephone number. The object is for the “contestant” to keep the person on the line for 4 minutes to get the maximum prize. At the end of the 4 minutes, the host then reveals that it was actually a prank call and has a brief talk to them.

Calls to be made per episode: At least 3 call made each night

How Numbers Are Entered:
Members of the public enter the telephone number they want entered. You cannot enter your own telephone number or a person residing at your address. The numbers could be entered to be involved in the competition through a 1902 leaving their name, daytime telephone number and the person they want prank called and why

The Prize:
Given it will be fly on the wall type TV, I would suggest a $4000 prize pool - $2000 would go to the person who was called, $1000 to the audience member and $1000 to the entrant (obviously the prize structure could be altered). If the audience member cannot keep the prank call going for the required 4 minutes, then the audience member and entrant receive a $500 consolation prize each. Phone numbers where calls go through to answering services do not attract a prize

Possible Hosts: Dave Hughes or Peter Helliar (obviously someone with a comedic background)

Following the tragic suicide that followed the royal baby prank phone call in 2012, there are laws in place which prevent radio and television shows from participating in most of those types of phone call pranks these days.

I’ve heard it mentioned a few times on radio recently when someone has suggested they prank someone on air and another has replied that they can’t do that these days.

3 Likes

perhaps a similar format where the audience member and home viewer working together to answer questions (possibly a 15 second maximum time frame per question)

Could call the show Fast Money.

Perhaps $200 each for each question they get right. They are given 5 minutes to answer as many as they can.

Home viewer can nominate themselves

Again 3 calls made per show

These both sound like radio formats to me. What is visually appealing about them?

Obviously the visual aspects would be up to the network to develop, things like colour scheme etc.

Perhaps the host could also engage with the rest of the studio audience as well…

Both are just concepts that a network/production company could use to develop an interactive television series

I am running these possible ideas by fellow panellists and perhaps someone at Channel Ten or maybe Grundys/FremantleMedia could develop beyond the concept proposed

Following the failure of Ten to gain any cricket rights, the entire management team needs to go.

Effective immediately.

Heck give me $52k a year net, and I will do the job of all of them. I would be much cheaper, and much more effective with a proven track record.

A thought bubble here. Now that Ten has lost the Big Bash - the success of which is thanks to them, what if Ten were to pursue the A-League. Invest in it. Grow it. It could be a sleeper hit.

1 Like

The current A-League deal is locked to Fox Sports and ONE simulcast until 2023. Ten get all the international matches outside the World Cup which is something I guess.

It’s a bit of a dud deal though with the A League selling their soul to pay TV.

Potentially the NBL could work for Ten as a cost effective replacement.

Last year Foxtel signed a new broadcast deal with Football Federation Australia which includes the A-League, so this won’t happen. Ten could however pursue rights to pre-season soccer friendlies between the A-League clubs and visiting overseas clubs, as well as International Champions Cup.

My apologies. I thought I read it was a 4 year deal in another thread, with 2 years remaining.

Ten should cut the A-League game they are showing then. Go hard after the NBL as @TheIdiotBoxAU has suggested.

Could be hilarious if in the next 6 years Ten grew this to be bigger than or as big as the BBL.

There is no way in hell the NBL would ever go back to Ten after that disasterous deal a few years back.

1 Like

It began well but nobody was watching the product and of course that elephant in the room with One HD, Fox Sports and a Murdoch.

That is the thing though, all that was under existing management - which needs to go.

They need to sack Anderson and McGarvey.

Getting the rights to cricket would’ve been a test for CBS on the local management and they have really stuffed this up.

There goes hundreds of hours of content.

Forget A-League or NBL… niche sports that cannot compete.

The network is now even more in a mess than it was before.

3 Likes

Wasn’t the CBS chief directly involved in this negotiation?

3 Likes

Maybe they can use the money to offer decent programming now and save up for the AFL rights. CBS could go hard for streaming rights to show for CBS Access All Areas - giving the sport a boost in the international market.

2 Likes

Still led by Anderson. They were supporting the bid. He could’ve said to them we need more money but didn’t.

Fox will be revelling in the revenge against Ten.