Saving Ten

Studio 10 still has the potential to perform. They’ve got to nail down what brought on their ratings high, as far as panelists and segments are concerned. Things like The $5 Quiz need to make a comeback; Robbo & Jono. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. That’s how The Morning Show has managed to come on top for all the years they’ve been on air.

2 Likes

Any suggestions???

Wouldn’t Ten best serve their viewers by being a point of difference as opposed to imitating the opposition?

The reason that The Morning Show has been #1 for over a decade can be summed up in four words: Kylie Gillies, Larry Emdur.

Whenever those two (who have been the main co-presenters since Day 1) decide to move onto other things, the competition in mid-morning television will probably increase considerably.

2 Likes

As far as I’m concerned Studio 10 should take a look at The Project, which is a success story in that it’s lasted this long and has many good years ahead of it (despite ratings being otherwise). Look for what works and keep innovating it, instead of changing everything at the same time.

3 Likes

A few things here.

The most pertinent one is this, while I am a massive advocate for bold and innovative programming ideas there are certain instances where same but different is the better of options.

This is why I believe same time setup, but with a different approach to the breakfast time-slot is key. Perhaps emulating Morning Dose out of the US, with an edgier, youthful approach for example.

Regarding Studio 10, it does need to be cut back. The rot started to set in when the show was extended.

Regarding this, I disagree.

Daytime television (which 5pm still falls into the category of IMO) or late nights is where a discussion based current affairs program has the opportunity to thrive. The stories covered most of the time would not be those you would see on your typical state based news bulletin.

You need something to replace it before you yank it off our screens.

Australian networks on FTA main channels a total of 55% of the air time between 6am and midnight every day need to be Australian content. This equates to roughly 10 hours per day over that period of time. By 7:30pm each weekday they have screened 9 hours (4 hours between 8am and midday, 2 and half hours across the afternoon and 2 and a half with Ten News, The Project and Family Feud).

It is easy to criticise a network for screening programs that at times could be described as cringe worthy, but we need to think, with shrinking advertising revenue due to increasing competition for other advertising alternatives they need to adopt strict budgetary controls to some of their programming. It unfortunately for Ten is part of the vicious advertising cycle, a program needs advertisers, to attract advertisers you need viewers, to attract viewers you need to spend money. So unless Ten can achieve some form of higher ratings, then they are caught up in a low budget nightmare.

If anything, all I change is adding a 1 to 1 and a half hour news bulletin from 7am til 8am (or 8:30am), Studio 10 8am (or 8:30am) til 11am and maybe Ten News 11am til 11:30am or midday

1 Like

At no point in my original post did I disagree with what you have just noted. I even made suggestions as to what could fill the gaps in question - including the return of Ten Morning News at 11:00 / 11:30 as you have noted.

I don’t mind Studio 10 myself.

I have taken the hint @killy06 ( only problem is by tagging you, you have to read it).

In the TENFAF thread there is always encouraging talk that Ten should revive the Late News. How do you think The Project would go at 9.30/10pm? Air it after the realuty TV show. Still keep the panel and the format, but it would allow them to push the boundaries a little in a M or MA slot.

Obviously it would be harder to get an audience and interviewees but they can just pre-record them (they did tonight with Tanya Plibersek). Plus it wouldn’t be the first.

FYI my comment wasn’t specifically aimed at you and you’re probably one of the better contributors on here.

1 Like

I will hold you to that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I am hopeful that Ten will use the 3 months of decent ratings it will get to promote the crap out of an impending network relaunch to be broadcast on the night of the MasterChef Grand Finale. Finale can commence at an earlier time and lead into an ‘event broadcast party’ of network personalities and high profile musical acts, to address the public and showcase what people can look forward to under the ‘new management’ - this of course happens following the sacking of Bev and Paul.

Tell the viewer you have been listening to them.

Give them bold new ideas to digest.

Announce new programs - perhaps poach some from rivals even. Announce a change in line-up for some of the current programs you want to nurture.

Launch Ten Daily to rival the best news websites in the country and around the world.

Launch an online programming service to rival the likes of acclaimed iView.

A lot can be achieved in 3 months.

The most important things is content however, which Ten is lacking in and has been for some time.

Have the ‘face of news’ on the network announce whatever changes you wish to make to the news offerings currently on offer for example.

Launch an entirely new graphics package that evening.

Put together a retrospective of the networks achievements over the decades in terms of bold and innovative programming as a montage leading into the broadcast evening. Have the highest profile media personality in Australia anchor the the evening. Preview the new content on offer and have cast speak a few lines on the show. Maybe even a montage video performed by Network Personalities to a song like ‘This is Me’ from The Greatest Showman.

I would even go so far as to commence promoting the ‘special event’ now. Billboards. Radio advertisements. On screen. ‘an evolution in TV is coming. [DATE] on TEN’. Black background. Gold font. Simple.

You need an ‘out with the old, in with the new’ launchpad and you have the perfect opportunity with eyeballs watching the network in a decent capacity over the next 3 months.

Doubt anything of the sort will eventuate and we will see more of the same old, same old courtesy of Bev and Paul moving forward.

7 Likes

Sorry. Too much for one night.

Action speaks louder than words. I’d rather Ten promoting the hell out of their new programs and new toys during their higher ratings programs rather than having to swallow that much in one night.

Does anyone remember the news revolution? It all came with one big bang and then faded into a whole load of smokes within a short period of time.

3 Likes

People don’t care.

The idea of a massive, overblown party broadcast on TV reeks of self-centred nonsense.

If Ten is changing, it needs to show by doing, not by talking and throwing a party.

3 Likes

Big re-launches are so 1980s.

And the last time Ten did something like it didn’t end well

YouTube: @SydneyCityTV @TV.Cynic

then…

Tenhdlin

4 Likes

Move Studio 10 to the breakfast timeslot and Studio 10 extra from 8.30am in its current format

Ten’s breakfast schedule
5.30am Ten eyewitness News Early
6.00am Studio 10
8.30am Studio 10 Extra

1 Like

This makes absolutely no sense.

Studio 10 is bleeding ratings (for all the love it gets here it is still 3rd in its slot, is it not) and moving it to breakfast will only kill it off completely.

3 Likes

I really don’t think a self-serving 1980s/1990s-style Ident would be a great thing to run on TV in 2018 (even Nine has slowly been moving away from that stuff over the past decade or so), but I definitely think Ten needs a major branding/On-Air Presentation relaunch across all aspects of the network including One, Eleven, News & Sport.

Programing wise, these are the elements of the network I think should be (for the most part, apart from maybe some cosmetic changes) left alone, regardless of whether I personally enjoy watching them or not:

*Studio 10. Maybe it can be cut back to 9am-12pm but apart from that, allow the show to continue evolving.
*The popular daytime programs like Dr Phil, Judge Judy and The Bold & The Beautiful.
*5pm news - although there definitely needs to be more resources allocated including a more adequate amount of reporters and fill-in presenters. Maybe consider poaching some of the more underappreciated people at Seven/Nine.
*The Project - perhaps launch a Saturday version in the future?
*The higher rating primetime programs like MasterChef, The Bachelor/ette (+ associated spin-offs) and Gogglebox.
*Whatever sporting output still exists across Ten & One.
*Neighbours.
*The children’s programing output on Eleven.

Everything else? Yeah, that could be thrown out and I wouldn’t really care TBH.

If Ten ever decide to re-enter the breakfast TV market, go for a niche currently not catered to by the other FTA networks like a sports-based show or something like The Project but in the morning!

The idea for Ten to have a “News Evolution” in 2011 wasn’t that bad, the problem was some of the ideas they tried. The worst of which was probably 6PM/6.30 with George Negus - people don’t want to watch serious, ABC/SBS-style current affairs programing on commercial TV and Ten was probably the worst network to do that sort of thing on!

If Ten decided to do something more simple like having Local News at 5pm and 7pm (I guess similar to the local 4pm & 6pm bulletins from Seven/Nine) with “News Delivered Differently” from The Project at 6pm back in 2011, they probably would’ve been in a better place now.

1 Like

Respectfully, I disagree. We aren’t talking about running self serving indents constantly. All I am suggesting is a ‘hard reset’ which from personal experience is sometimes what is required.

I took over a company in 2008 that was in receivership. It cost me a measly $20k back then. First order of business was to pick a date, and set that as the point where everything would change. I geared up for that hiring new staff poaching from the likes of HP and BHP, firing majority of the old guard. I made an announcement to all clients (at that point the company was bleeding them on a day to day basis) that most existing lines would be scrapped as at a particular date 3 months down the track. On the ‘hard reset date’ we released a revitalised product line, updated our online presence and sent out promotional material on mass. The result was that we received the entire years previous sales in dollars, in just 5 days. To this day the company has expanded to 5 offices globally and operates on a net profit of 45 percent. Keep in mind I am only 27 years of age.

Sure it may not have worked out so well in the past going for a hard reset, but we all keep saying it. We are seeing a completely different environment to what it was back then. Ten went into receivership. Was gutted by Lachlan Murdoch as to be honest is crippled as a result. Even to this day. If something isn’t done - and fast, the network will become irrelevant. Simple as that.

I dare say whatever company you took over had a better chance of success than rebuilding a linear TV channel in 2018 that has no sports rights.