Saving Ten

I would have loved to say that $20k was a measly figure when I was 17. Solid effort taking over a company as a minor I would have thought. :shushing_face:

4 Likes

Unless they can formulate a quality programming as an alternative, you are right.

Perhaps they need to try and win back events such as Sydney To Hobart Yacht race and maybe look at some of the lesser sporting events and maybe construct a Wide World of Sports (80s and 90s style) format for it on Saturday and Sunday afternoons), maybe Matt White presenting with a female presenter and look at things like Beach Volleyball, Beach Cricket, perhaps even negotiate with Foxtel to broadcast a 1-hour Saturday night A League highlight package (game as shown on Foxtel and One).

Ten could, if the concept worked, move into sports like Hockey and maybe Bowling, perhaps even try and secure the rights to Skiing, Baseball, Cycling and athletics events.

Additionally, a program of this sort could show highlights and interviewers from the various Variety Club Bash journeys around Australia

here is an even that they may be able to secure the rights to, albeit only a regional event (northern NSW), it could show a commitment to some form of port - even if its a highlights package

My ideas might seem dull and to others, desperate, but they are ideas of the direction they could go, others may have ideas they rate higher, bit again we all have ideas of how Ten might save itself

These are up for grabs at present

European Games: TBA (2019)
Pacific Games: TBA (2019)

That is not remotely viable in the 21st century.

Maybe Ten could try for These tennis events -

Wimbledon from 2020??
French Open from 2021??
US Open from 2022??

Current rights
French Open: Fox Sports (2018–2020)[65] SBS (2018–2020)[65]
Wimbledon: Seven Network (2018–2019)
U.S. Open: ESPN (2017–2021)[66] / SBS (2018)[66] Live coverage of quarter-finals night sessions, semi-finals and finals.

nor are most of the ideas here

1 day tinpot cycling events or even the Sydney to Hobart are not even worth it for Ten. They need big events, sustainable over a number of weeks.

The big events aren’t up for grabs for another 4 years,hence why some are suggesting low key events that ten might be able to grow.

Great suggestions. Ten should rate gangbusters in the middle of the night for the duration of those events.

My ideas are meant for daytime scheduling and if they can secure some of the Tennis rights over the next 2 to 5 years, then maybe they could show match highlights during they day (if an Australian is participating as well as during the quarters, semis and finals - obviously subject to the rights allowing the re-broadcast of games)

I know.

But they aren’t worth the effort. In production costs alone. They won’t break even on ad spend or sponsorship. Sydney to Hobart is a nice event to have, but only if you can leverage off your other sporting content at the same time.

2 Likes

I think part of the problem is the amount of Australian content required by FTA networks. If the 55% Australian content between 6am to midnight was changed, then the commercial channels wouldnt be trying to fill quotas throughout the day and fill the night with imported content.

If the government stated that programming content at least 55% must be Australian produced in the following time period 6am to midday, midday to 6pm and 6pm to midnight.

Also re-broadcasting, repeats and “encores” should be worth no more than half of original broadcast time eg an encore screening of a 1 hour program should only be valued at 30 minutes per broadcast hour.

Original Australian content should also be at least two thirds of all programming broadcast under the 55% rule

Just on 18, and for the record the money was everything I had saved working from the age of 14 in catering 5 - 11 weeknights plus weekends - not a trust fund baby unlike our dear friends that fucked Ten in Murdoch and Reinhardt.

Nevertheless …

Once again I don’t see why Ten cannot be a success story once again.

Let us not forget they were the first to move on Sunday night movies. They were responsible for MasterChef - a decision which initially they were widely panned for. Innovative programming and decision making, while actively listening and communicating with the consumer is key.

There is no reason why they couldn’t - as many here have suggested - resurrect Big Brother over Summer. Now that in itself is a bold move in my opinion with networks traditionally relying on sports programming and ‘dead rubber’ content to fill their schedule over these months.

1 Like

I know some of you hate me for making this point, but many of the decisions need and probably will be made based on stacking up content on CBS All Access. I think Ten is a watch-this-space property until that is launched and we know what the vision for this is.

2 Likes

That’s actually a good idea.

Big Brother over the Summer, but how do you accommodate the Christmas and New Year break?

Potentially stupid idea but have the HouseGuests in the BB house during these holidays and have extended special episodes (For Christmas - Have the houseguest have a special Christmas Lunch/Dinner and surprise each them with a loved one that will share the meal with the HGs. For NYE - Have the HouseGuests have some sort of live NYE party and stream it live on ten - it could line up with an eviction at midnight).

Either that, or start BB shortly after the New Year and keep that running until March. Then everything else would get shuffled so that between New Years and Mid-December, ten have a flagship 7:30 reality show.

2 Likes

Christmas in the BB House could actually be TV gold. Not to mention NYE.

3 Likes

The things is… very expensive to put into production over that time.

1 Like

Start it on January 1, with a New Years Eve party at the house and the “residents” go in at 12:01am QLD tme

I think its a good idea, and would help keep eyes on Ten over the summer.

They should also keep The Project running throughout too

6.30pm The Project
7.30pm Big Brother (Run for an hour)
8.30pm First Run Movies.
10.30pm Big Brother up late. (Live feed for two hours)