Saving Ten

Do you actually watch those soapies?

ET yes, it would be perfect fodder for 11.

But no, Bold is a high rater on Ten and WIN shouldn’t move anywhere.

I think Days has been slotted well there on WIN. Don’t understand why ET airs twice on WIN though. They could show one of the cooking shows in lieu of an ET airing.

I agree the first run should air on Ten, but the encore should be on 11. At present, Win airs AAN in lieu of Bold and Beautiful encore and Family Feud encore. The Bold and Beautiful 4:30pm first run slot need to be retained, regardless of other programming changes

@JBar it seems you like arguing for the sake of arguing

No I don’t but i have always felt that except news, game shows and sitcoms, most programs of substance air longer that 30 minutes. Ultimately, if I programmed a network, it may air programs such as The A Team, Knight Rider and Magnum PI, but given they are ageing shows and Ten doesn’t own the rights, perhaps some form of FTA first run drama is in order. At present, not Australian network screens General Hospital, so that’s another potential opportunity and more so if they can get these programs at a good price

Well, that’s the problem right there. That’s why those shows wete dropped.

Because there is little interest. It was the first of Nine’s soaps to be dropped so it was the least popular. Very difficult to get people to start watching these. They’ve tried so many different soaps over the years, but they haven’t been sustainable.

meanwhile, @JBar dogs any ideas that isn’t his own but then promotes his ideas as the best thing since sliced bread.

Actually, no if you were aware of how the TV industry works, it was the supply cost of those programs, firstly Young and the Restless was dropped for the ill-fared the Catch-up, then Days of Our Lives and Nine opted for movies. Seven and Ten deemed them as too expensive.

Nine aired General Hospital from 1983 and dropped General Hospital in the late 80s and it aired in Ten on and off at 4am or 5am in the morning during the 90s before being dropped. but if aired at a decent time, it might rate.

It was on Seven prior to 1983

Also in the 1996, Seven trialled a week day 5pm news bulletin and it failed, but an afternoon bulletin returned in 2003 (and extended to conclude at 5:30pm in 2012) and has since worked

Just being realistic, mate. No need to get touchy because people can see flaws in your suggestions. You’re just suggesting replacing a American shows with American soaps.

So what makes them more cost effective now?

Ultimately, all networks “recycle” their shows, I am just suggesting that even a 5 or 6 year old soap could out rate a movie from the 1980s or a b grade offering

Do we know how they rate on WIN?

Well given that Win are moving Days of Our Lives to 3:30pm weekdays, my guess is at least that program must be delivering

If Ten doesn’t try something, they might as well air infomercials from midnight to 4pm

Why do you think everything from midnight to 4pm is failing?

The Talk 6am… why bother,then ET, encores 7:30am to 8:30am, Studio 10 - maybe a chance someone watches- but not 8:30am to midday, Dr Phil, maybe, then 1:00pm to 3pm encore heaven, Judge Judy and cooking shows

Doesn’t the Ten 12-5 lineup actually stack up quite well ratings wise? I’m not sure why they would turf them for niche US soaps.

6 Likes

I know you lot don’t think much of Bruce Gordon, but Win has turfed 3:30pm to 4:30pm shows for Days of our Lives

Who cares about what he thinks and does. He’s just continuing to drive his ‘network’ down the drain.

3 Likes

One thing I do like about him is that, unlike most of the other networks, he is wiling to sacrifice some infomercials and religious content for alternative programming on the main channel. And although it is All Australian News that is the main cause of this, its better than mindless infomercials and religious ravings by TV evangelists. All he need to do now is drop/replace the religion 6am to 8am Sundays on the main channel

This is why I think Ten needs to do something different to reality TV between 1pm and 2:30pm each day. Nine and Seven either air reality TV encores or repeat movies from 20+ years ago or low grade movies. I understand they need to meet Australian Television quotas (55% of total broadcast time between 6am and midnight), but perhaps they can find other content to fill the quota

of all the timeslots to focus on, 6 to 8am on a Sunday is probably way down the list and most of those religious shows are paid programming (except for Mass For You At Home which Ten pays for and screens commercial free)

2 Likes

And aren’t they mostly ahead of Seven and Nine during this time (except for 6am-Midday)? Informericals aren’t going to cut it.

How about some decent program suggestions rather than filler like Days of our Lives which isn’t going to rate better than what they have right now?

1 Like

When the Win television primary affiliate partner was Nine, they dropped religious content and infomercials during the 2000s (in what is traditionally referred to the overnight schedule) and screened alternative content.

This was despite the fact as you rightly point out, its paid content. There are ways around it providing they can negotiate with the companies behind these “paid” presentations by program shifting - rough schedule I will publish in Mock schedules for illustrative purposes only, noting it would be by negotiation with those that supply the “paid” presentations

That would cost money and who knows when or if that CBS money will flow through.