Saving Ten

Do we know how they rate on WIN?

Well given that Win are moving Days of Our Lives to 3:30pm weekdays, my guess is at least that program must be delivering

If Ten doesn’t try something, they might as well air infomercials from midnight to 4pm

Why do you think everything from midnight to 4pm is failing?

The Talk 6am… why bother,then ET, encores 7:30am to 8:30am, Studio 10 - maybe a chance someone watches- but not 8:30am to midday, Dr Phil, maybe, then 1:00pm to 3pm encore heaven, Judge Judy and cooking shows

Doesn’t the Ten 12-5 lineup actually stack up quite well ratings wise? I’m not sure why they would turf them for niche US soaps.

6 Likes

I know you lot don’t think much of Bruce Gordon, but Win has turfed 3:30pm to 4:30pm shows for Days of our Lives

Who cares about what he thinks and does. He’s just continuing to drive his ‘network’ down the drain.

3 Likes

One thing I do like about him is that, unlike most of the other networks, he is wiling to sacrifice some infomercials and religious content for alternative programming on the main channel. And although it is All Australian News that is the main cause of this, its better than mindless infomercials and religious ravings by TV evangelists. All he need to do now is drop/replace the religion 6am to 8am Sundays on the main channel

This is why I think Ten needs to do something different to reality TV between 1pm and 2:30pm each day. Nine and Seven either air reality TV encores or repeat movies from 20+ years ago or low grade movies. I understand they need to meet Australian Television quotas (55% of total broadcast time between 6am and midnight), but perhaps they can find other content to fill the quota

of all the timeslots to focus on, 6 to 8am on a Sunday is probably way down the list and most of those religious shows are paid programming (except for Mass For You At Home which Ten pays for and screens commercial free)

2 Likes

And aren’t they mostly ahead of Seven and Nine during this time (except for 6am-Midday)? Informericals aren’t going to cut it.

How about some decent program suggestions rather than filler like Days of our Lives which isn’t going to rate better than what they have right now?

1 Like

When the Win television primary affiliate partner was Nine, they dropped religious content and infomercials during the 2000s (in what is traditionally referred to the overnight schedule) and screened alternative content.

This was despite the fact as you rightly point out, its paid content. There are ways around it providing they can negotiate with the companies behind these “paid” presentations by program shifting - rough schedule I will publish in Mock schedules for illustrative purposes only, noting it would be by negotiation with those that supply the “paid” presentations

That would cost money and who knows when or if that CBS money will flow through.

Not sure why people have this expectation that CBS is just going be this bottomless money pit for Ten. Sure there is some investment (such as increasing news resources and signing up names from other networks) but they’re not going to give Ten some sort of open cheque book for every timeslot across the day. And so far Ten’s daytime isn’t rating badly so I can’t see it getting any significant cash injection.

4 Likes

Based on what Seven and Nine are serving up, they could even offer repeats of Australian programs previously made for Ten. As WIN is their current affiliate partners (and owners of Crawfords), perhaps something like Carson’s Law could screen on Ten at 1pm.

However with the CBS/Bruce Gordon Mexican stand-off, this definitely won’t happen

Are you a time traveller from the 1980s?

Why would Ten ditch encores of prime time programming (which crucially they can add as further exposed eyeballs to Masterchef/Living Room sponsors/partners) for Carson’s Law, a show that was on air closer to Ben Chifley’s Prime Ministership than the present day.

3 Likes

Also I can’t see Bruce Gordon doing anything in Ten’s favour these days given that he and Murdoch were left out to dry by Ten’s receivers and literally voted out by Ten’s creditors/employees

Why do you want to see old repeats that no one wants to watch? Are you trying to suggest that Ten should target the demographic of 70-80 year olds?

I don’t have an issue with showing some retro titles but it’s multi-channel content IMHO, not for the main channel

2 Likes

Exactly. Shows like MASH would’ve been great for the main channel back in the 70s/80s. Nowadays it’s relegated to the likes of 7TWO, which suits the demographic of that channel well, although I would hate to see MASH on the main channel.

2 Likes