Rugby World Cup 2019

What does TVNZ have the rights to? I’m surprised the All Blacks matches aren’t on FTA…

Argentina v Tonga, South Africa v Italy, Wales v Fiji, 2 Semi finals and the Final. However, there is no Bronze Medal match on TVNZ. It was a disgrace not to have the 3rd Playoff match on FTA. All Blacks matches are on delayed telecast on FTA. This is getting dumb and dumber. To have All Blacks matches shown on a 1 hour delay is not good!

Mind you if Sky had the rights it would be pretty much the same delay except it would be airing on Prime. However in 2015 they did air more games live towards the finals including the Bronze Final.

https://www.nbr.co.nz/article/2015-rugby-world-cup-sky-tv-screen-every-all-blacks-game-free-air-prime-ck-170856

2 Likes

Same as Channel 10. Channel 10 could only afford about 20% of the matches on FTA in the RWC2019 tournament. 4 years ago, GEM (Nine Network) had about 40% of the matches shown on FTA. I couldn’t believe why Channel 10 decided not to pick a few marquee matches like the All blacks v South Africa on FTA. A joke!

Interesting to note their is a bill in NZ Parliament from NZ First (which is not going anywhere at the moment) to make “Games of National Significance” live & free to air.

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/bill/member/2018/0086/latest/whole.html#LMS73090

Is there anything on the NZ equivalent of the anti-siphoning list?

1 Like

Nope. It is who has the most money to spend on it which is usually Sky TV which has the ‘monopoly’ on most sporting events.
The only time there was a consortium of New Zealand broadcasters (Sky, TVNZ, Three & Maori TV) in regards of a sport event was the RWC2011 which was hosted in New Zealand.

Meanwhile across the ditch

1 Like
1 Like

My TV guide says that the Australia v Uruguay match starts at 2:30Pm (AEST). I think that eastern states will miss out on the post match as News is on at 5pm.

No, the online guides says the rugby coverage will go until 5.30pm in the east coast, followed by 10 News First until 6.30pm.

3 Likes

Matt Burke back in Sydney this week. Have ten given up calling from the ground or will Gordon he joined by another analyst. Seems weird they’d only host and call two pool games from japan.

So Jonathan Williams is over in Japan for 10, Scott Mackinnon will be back on Sports Tonight next week.

Heads up. Next Friday’s Australia v Georgia match will be shown on 10 (except WA which will be shown on 10 BOLD). Unfortunately, for Perth viewers, the match will commence at 5:30PM (AWST) on 10 BOLD. Channel 10 Perth will have alternate scheduling including The Living Room at 7:30PM and HYBPA (Encore) at 8:30PM. (This is similar when 10 previously had the coverage of BBL with Perth viewers watching the live matches on ONE)

1 Like

Channel One aired BBL matches in Perth when they had the rights

1 Like

I’m out watching the rugby but it’s fox coverage. What’s ten doing today? Calling from the ground???

in studio. Scott Mackinnon hosting with Nick Phipps and Matt Burke.

Tacky… why do two games and none of the others.

Because Uruguay and Georgia are regarded as rugby minnows.