Rugby League

“Round 0” next year will involve 4 teams in Las Vegas tipped to be Brisbane, Manly and South Sydney plus one other (suggested).

2 Likes

However, Laurel, Gary and Mark questioned “Why do you need to promote it to the U.S.? What’s wrong with Australia? Why are there states here in Australia who don’t have their own rugby league team?”

I really hope they don’t trot out the “growing the game internationally” bs. Just say why you are really doing it: gambling money.

I meant to post, when I was in Perth, it was reported on 7 News that Perth would attempt to bring Magic Round (which has only been held in Brisbane so far) to the city in 2025 as well.

They said it would mean no AFL games in Perth that weekend as Optus Stadium would be the venue - but can’t see the AFL being too accommodating to that… ??

2 Likes

Well they’d just have to book the venue first!

1 Like

Yeah, I wonder how different stadiums go about it… would Optus Stadium say to the NRL they need to see what the AFL wants to do that weekend as they might get first rights being a long term tenant at the ground and use it almost every weekend during the AFL season ?? Or if it’s a case of being first in, best dressed as you say…

1 Like

With the NRL going to Perth again for the State of Origin, and perhaps with the Magic Round, they how long do we have to wait until a Perth team is entered into the NRL again? The Western/Perth Reds in the 1990s were awesome. They certainly warrant a team there, over a fifth Queensland team, thats for sure.

3 Likes

I agree, I think Perth should get the 18th team licence over a 5th QLD team, a PNG team, or a 2nd New Zealand team… And I think it should be a stand alone team and not a relocated East Coast or revived/shared team like with the Bears playing some games in Perth and some at North Sydney as has been suggested…

I think even a 2nd Melbourne team has been suggested, Adelaide doesn’t seem to be in the mix at all yet.

3 Likes

Agree. It should be a stand alone team in Perth. No need for any relocation anytime soon.

Although i haven’t given a second team in Melbourne much thought, but it does have the potential for one down the track. Or potentially at neighbouring Geelong, with some “biggish games” in Melbourne.

1 Like

They won’t ever bring a new team to Melbourne (unless they are Geelong or regional centred) as that would just ruin the Storm and fracture the market. The Storm are everyone’s team here if they aren’t Rugba Leeg faithfuls and they harness that, adding someone else in will lower attendances and overall fanbase.

1 Like

With agreement reached, the media ban has been lifted as seen last night

4 Likes

The predictions were correct, though it was described as “a competitive process”

The matches will be part of the premiership’s season-opening round.

“The 2024 Las Vegas matches will form part of an exciting ‘Australia Week’ in Las Vegas where we will be showcasing rugby league and Australia to the US market,” NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo said in a statement.

"We are now working collaboratively with the four clubs to finalise arrangements for the proposed matches in Las Vegas and make this a blockbuster event for fans by maximising travel, attendance and enjoyment of a unique rugby league experience.

2 Likes

There was talk that if it were to become a recurring event that other teams would be considered on a rotating basis

According to The Sunday Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield, the NRL will increase the prizemoney for this year’s finals series by up to 150%. The premiers will receive $1 million (up from $400,000) to be shared between the club and the players. The runner-up gets $400,000, up from $200,000. The minor premiers will get $200,000, double the current amount of $100,000.

2 Likes

I’d like to think that the NRL will use last nights’ Matilda’s World Cup ratings as ammunition against Nine to have Origin and the Grand Final played on Saturday nights, as I think Nine’s stance has always been people don’t watch TV on Saturday nights.

I think Saturday night Origins and Grand Finals would be more popular with fans, particularly with Origin as a ‘stand alone’ game that weekend. More people can then relax and enjoy the games without having to worry about work the next day.

2 Likes

Sheens was meant to coach the Tigers for 2023 and 2024 before his assistant Marshall took over for the following three seasons.

The Tigers board made the call to move Sheens on after concerns were raised by key stakeholders over the direction of the club which is headed for consecutive wooden spoons.

3 Likes

Really pleased with the Sharkies performance against the Cows in Townsville tonight, winning 12-32. Their defence was really good in the 2nd half, keeping NQ scoreless after trailing 12-6 in the 1st half.

@yellow_sock We need a favour from your Dragons to beat the Storm on Saturday night so the Sharks can stay in the Top 4.

2 Likes

Was a good win tonight for your Sharkies against the Cowboys. Top 4… for now :stuck_out_tongue:

I would like the Dragons to beat the Storm, as I dont like the Storm at all. lol. But i can’t see that happening, and would also like to see the Sharks missing out of a top 4 position too :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I agree seeing your Dragons beat the Storm might be a bit too much to ask! But oh well. I can hope

1 Like

After a perfect round last week, I got the Cowboys-Sharks game wrong. :tired_face:

Ah well, I’m near the bottom in most of the comps I’m in.

2 Likes

That was a 50-50 one, I reckon, and I think the majority would have tipped NQ too.

1 Like