Rugby League

The Courier-Mail reports that Queensland Rugby League chief Ben Ikin has slammed the NRL and chief executive Andrew Abdo for rejecting the QRL’s proposal to expand the Hostplus Cup (the state’s top rugby league comp) to 17 teams, following requests from Titans and Cowboys to field their own reserve grade teams. The NRL claimed the QRL was seeking an additional $4.2 million in funding – on top of its annual $20 million grant – to expand the competition. Ikin blasted the funding rejection and accused Abdo of trying to place Titans and Cowboys in NSW Cup instead.

4 Likes

Seen this afternoon - seems a bit late to be advertising origin tickets.

3 Likes

I think I saw that ad on Nine Sydney this arvo too (during Pointless).

Can only guess it hasn’t sold out and the NRL are desperate to flog tickets? And that it’s a lovely sunny day here as well.

2 Likes

That’s from Nine Sydney. I also guessed that ticket sales could be higher; though it might be contra between Nine and NRL.

2 Likes

NSW won tonight. But Queensland won the series 2-1.

4 Likes

Reuben Cotter was named player of the 2023 series and received the Wally Lewis Medal.

There were two pitch invasions in the final five minutes of tonight’s match.

5 Likes

Good win by the Storm tonight over the Roosters 30-16. Only a couple of late tries for the Sydnysiders made the score a bit more respectable.

The Roosters defence was pretty ordinary at times with Melbourne scoring some pretty soft tries.

Earlier, Nth QLD have chalked up 5 wins in a row beating Manly 19-8. They move into the Top 8 for the first time this year (for now).

Other wins this round so far for Brisbane and Newcastle.

2 Likes

The Battle of the Wooden Spoon was played lat might. The Dragons beat the Tigers down at the Gong by 4 points.

4 Likes

Good to see your team get a win.

Looking forward to Souths v Broncos tonight, Souths get a whole stack of players back from injury. Still no Latrell yet, but the Bunnies need the win otherwise they will slip out of the Top 8 if NQ beat Parramatta. That would have been unthinkable not long ago.

1 Like

History in the NRLW and not a historically good moment. A Broncos player has been sent off (not sin binned, not merely placed on report, sent off) allegedly for biting an opponent.

2 Likes

Almost the greatest comeback by the Sharkies against Manly… after trailing 0-30, they piled on 5 quick tries to get a sniff of a miracle but fell 4 points short.

I fear 4 losses in a row now with Penrith next, and then Souths in Perth…Latrell should be back by then.

1 Like

2 Likes

Hopefully Victoria picks this up for 2024. Would probably fill Mars Stadium.

Ouch… I reckon it would go close to filling the MCG… I think league fans will travel anywhere to see their team in the decider.

1 Like

In all seriousness, if State of Origin can get north of 80,000 at the MCG the ARLC would be silly not to consider it as an NRL Grand Final venue.

2 Likes

V’Landys obviously wants something from the NSW Government again (probably his stupid stadium plan)

3 Likes

Her name is Ashleigh Werner and she was banned for two matches at the NRLW judiciary tonight.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Good vibe here in the West at the double header… good start by the Sharkies too!

4 Likes

JUST IN: State of #Origin will return to Perth as a neutral venue for both the 2025 and 2028 series.

The announcement follows a successful NRL double header at Optus Stadium yesterday, which was attended by almost 46,000 footy fans.

HIGHLIGHTS: https://t.co/uv2GZZ78rX#9News pic.twitter.com/nMBuYal8Mj

— 9News Perth (@9NewsPerth) August 6, 2023

4 Likes