Rugby League

It’s so clubs don’t go backwards when they don’t have a game, so you start the week in the eight you finish it in the eight even if you don’t play. It’s purely psychological.

3 Likes

So they’re pussies basically? No one else seems to have a problem.

It’s more of an issue when there’s an uneven number of teams like there will be in 2023.

1 Like

Then play the same amount of games as each other? AFL managed it with the Suns joining. A-Leagues manage it when new clubs join/in the ALW where there is/was an uneven amount.

Agree, i would rather see teams play every week, i hate all the byes around Origin… I would rather a mid season break and get Origin done in a 2-3 week window

3 Likes

They do…but it’s complicated by Origin too which those competitions don’t have. It’s really not the end of the world.

2 Likes

So just start all the teams with 6 points then?

As I understand it, the idea keeps the teams on a potentially equal setting in the weekly rankings.

If for example, there was a team that was consistently number one, but dropped to second because of a bye, the ranking wouldn’t represent the true nature of the competition where that team was still the best.

Yeah but neither would teams getting free points, right?

In the 30s this wasn’t the case - the draw was lopsided and some teams got more byes than others (so played less games) - in order to ensure everyone had a fair chance to make finals, points were awarded. Since then greater effort has gone into ensuring each team gets a consistent number of byes meaning their true value has diminished but now acts as a bit of an anachronism that acts not to disadvantage ladder position through the year because there is an uneven number of teams.

Or if you’re a Knights supporter, the knowledge that you are at a minimum, guaranteed 6 points

5 Likes

I think some weeks the Knights would struggle to beat the bye.

1 Like

Recently retired Geelong AFL premiership captain Joel Selwood has joined Melbourne Storm as leadership coach.

3 Likes

Opposite of Slater going to the Saints in 2019.

1 Like

I think it’s great that there has been some cross over of skills and work between the AFL and NRL, I think both can learn from each other.

1 Like

So is anyone else here watching the world cup final?

1 Like

No, it was on too late at night for me.

1 Like

Double success for Australia at Rugby League World Cup final at Manchester overnight: Jillaroos thrashed New Zealand 54-4 in the women’s final, before the Kangaroos beat a competitive Samoa 30-10 to retain the men’s title.

5 Likes
6 Likes

Can’t believe 25 years have passed since the NRL was created from the Super League war.

5 Likes

I still don’t think the game has fully recovered from the Super League war.

2 Likes