Rugby League

Wests Tigers yesterday announced a new club logo for season 2022.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/badel_cmail/status/1445943755182202886?s=20

It’s official. Brisbane will have a second team in 2023 after the NRL today announced a $50 million surplus.

7 Likes
3 Likes

Por que no los dos?

Can’t see them having 17 teams for a lengthy period of time - if there’s two good bids, let them both in. Brisbane’s big enough, especially with the differing main focus for both bids.

I think the 18th spot should be reserved for a team from either NT, SA or WA. SA and WA each had a team before and after Super League war (the Rams and the Reds), while NT has a huge rugby league fanbase.

2 Likes

Yeah. Unlikely to be NT (unless coupled with FNQ, who already have a team). WA is the logical next step, with a Super Rugby team there. Time difference also allows them to have 3 games on Friday nights (every second week).

3 Likes

I would’ve had WA, SA or even Tasmania before a second Brisbane team.

Perth should be next for sure now

2 Likes

Agree with Perth, but a 2nd NZ team, based In Wellington seems to be the NRLs thinking now.

Hopefully whatever 18th team decide on is not too long after 2023, I’m not a fan of an uneven number of teams in the comp, should be 14, 16 or 18 and not an in between number.

3 Likes

I am in for growing the game. But id rather have two teams enter the comp, rather that one. Im not a fan of having weekly byes.

Having a second team in the Brisbane area is okay-ish for me. They do have a market there (and population). But id also have a team from Perth or Adelaide enter too.

3 Likes

I agree with Perth, but a second brisbane team makes a lot of sense financially. there is a market for it, and it allows football every week at suncorp

5 Likes

It will be interesting to see if Brisbane can support a second team - the last attempt wasn’t successful. By all accounts its taken some sweet talking with the Broncos to get them across the line to have a second team.

Two words… Super League.

If Perth and Adelaide can support 2 AFL teams, surely Brisbane can support 2 NRL teams (and it has 700,000 to 1.1 million more people)

4 Likes

The good old South Queensland Crushers :slight_smile:

Different times in the mid 1990s (with the “lovely” Super League). I think these days, having two teams Brisbane, in a city with other 2 million is fine. Plus neighbouring Gold Coast of 700k. Queensland is an NRL State. As others have mentioned, they’d probably play out at Suncorp at the beginning, so that there is a match a week there.

Perth and Adelaide have 2 teams each in the AFL with a smaller population.

An announcement is apparently be made next week on which team will enter.

4 Likes

Photos emerged on social media of Penrith players with the broken Provan-Summons trophy, with the sculpture of the two men away from the base.

In one of the images, Norm Provan and Arthur Summons can be seen in what appears to be a pram with the caption “googoo gaga” on the image.

1 Like

Maybe they should be given a replica version of the trophy, as happens with The Ashes in cricket.

1 Like

This is pathetic by the Panthers. No respect for history

5 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

The Dolphins were officially confirmed this morning as the second Brisbane team - the announcement was made in Parliament.

4 Likes

What do we reckon their name will be?