Royal Wedding 2018

Apologies if this one has already been mentioned but for those wanting a good laugh, apparently that “quality journalism” outlet The Daily Mail has written articles bagging the Royal Wedding coverage of both Seven and Nine! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Fail

OK, so Seven’s Royal Wedding Coverage was somehow more popular than Nine’s Royal Wedding Coverage in Sydney last night. As someone who isn’t employed by either network and didn’t care much for the event in general (partly because most of the actual ceremony pictures were probably from some pooled feed which all broadcasters could access), I’m not going to be too emotionally invested in this.

From a presenter perspective, I personally think Seven got it right by having the coverage hosted by Usher & Doyle. Nine did OK by having Georgie Gardner as part of their coverage, but Peter Overton or another senior male figure from Nine News that isn’t Karl Stefanovic should’ve been her co-presenter.

1 Like

Although Seven had the better team, I mostly watched on Nine because their coverage was in full HD and mostly relied on BBC commentary.

2 Likes

It just highlights that Seven does have potential to draw the ratings in for some capital city news services, they may just need to remove a couple of presenters…

3 Likes

I also noticed Seven didn’t have their usual “HD” add-on.

But there was no watermark anyway, just a 7 News special bug pasted on by the production.

Whereas Nine even coloured their “HD” add-on gold.

I’m not a Nine fan. I watched Seven and ABC when I got home from the movies last night.

My point was that even if the ABC were behind the pack, it was still doing far better than the nearest non-wedding alternative and they managed a 14% share. Ten cracked a meagre 6% and you omit that, despite crowing on about how important demos are to Ten every other day when the ratings come in.

2 Likes

In the day to day mill of things, key demos are the important. Hence why I say don’t look at Ten’s total people share too much.

But a one off event (Royal Wedding, Olympics/Comm Games opening/closing ceremony, etc) of course total people is what we look at.

Context.

Edit

Article on last night’s TV coverage:

ABC Super:

Ten could have covered this event easily. It could all be done from Melbourne.

You don’t though. That’s just how Seven and Nine do it. You can easily do it from home on the cheap and still make it good.

3 Likes

Only watched a little bit as I was at an engagement party and it was on a mobile phone. But I was disappointed not to see any of this:

1 Like

They had three reporters there I believe.

Ten daily was amateur. Just a raw BBC One feed with no local presenters or TV broadcast

3 Likes

That cap displays one of quite a few stuff ups which occurred during the ABC’s coverage last night. The package with that prude etiquette expert started playing almost at the exact same time that we caught our first glimpse of Harry and William walking to Windsor Castle. Any self-respecting director would’ve cut away immediately, but the ABC stuck through the 3+ minute package whilst the action was clearly happening in that tiny box.

Their ratings suffered as a result. Have a look at one of Trevor Long’s tweets from last night - which I suspect I can’t link to because of ratings copyright issues.

It happened again later in the coverage when they were live at some dinner party in Sydney, instead of focusing on arrivals to the Castle.

I was actually quite disappointed with the ABC’s coverage. Although admittedly it was the only one I watched, so I don’t really have anything to compare it to.

That appears to be the ratings tool available to fetch tv users, not official OzTam data, which correct me if I’m wrong wouldn’t be available until the following morning anyway. So wouldn’t be going off that, loosely indicative if anything?

Yeah - it’s at best an interesting snapshot of the viewing habits of a certain percentage of the viewing public

1 Like

Well the Thing is that Back in 2011 Royal Wedding Channel 10 did a Fitzy wippa special (from sydney) on The Royal wedding and The Circle (from Melbourne) During prime time. Unfortunately Ten has Zero Live Coverage Of the event and it was absolute trash. Coverage was delayed in Perth. Didn’t know why Ten want to delay this in Perth. The ratings for the show were dire. Sbs didn’t cover the prince William wedding in 2011. Didn’t know why sbs decided not to telecast the coverage.

A souvenir poster of harry and meghan.

1 Like

Seen on 15 networks stateside in the early morning, Saturday’s royal nuptials with the American born bride from St. George’s Chapel was up solidly from the 23 million who watched televised ceremony of Prince William and Kate Middleton back in 2011, according to Nielsen.

2 Likes

In Britain, the BBC won the royal wedding ratings with nearly four times the number of viewers during at the peak. BBC and ITV had a combined average audience of 11 million, way above the FA Cup final held later in the day (6.7 million). BBC averaged 8.7 million while ITV averaged 2.5 million.

1 Like

Yes. Surprised when the BBC coverage took over Seven went SD - ABC went SD - gave up and watched Nine’s HD coverage. Superb!.

3 Likes