Royal Wedding 2018

The BBC rejected an approach from Prince Andrew to televise the wedding of his daughter Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank on 12 October. The BBC will only cover it as news, with Sky News also only covering it as a news story it seems. Prince Andrew also approached ITV about showing the wedding but there has not yet been any announcement from ITV about their plans.

Seven previously revealed it would show the wedding of Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank in Australia, so this news would throw a spanner in the works.

I thought I’d heard a Seven promo saying they’d have full coverage.

If no British broadcaster is interested I can’t imagine why an Australian one would be, particularly for a minor Royal.

Maybe ITV will come to the party or one of the others will change their mind.

3 Likes

ITV will be covering the event in a three-hour This Morning special from 9.25am (7.25pm AEDT). I assume there will be a clean feed available for Seven and other broadcasters around the world who wish to televise it.

4 Likes

This wedding will be live on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter. YouTube link:
https://youtu.be/RoNyELmURN8

2 Likes

Using the Daily Edition set:

3 Likes

Set looks good for a Seven production. That area looks extremely versatile.

Would’ve liked to see Mel onboard for this one. Mel and Michael have pretty good chemistry.

4 Likes

At the very end of Seven News Melbourne (after Mike Amor signed off), at the very end of the music theme before going black, for a split second you could hear a smidge of the same theme from the end of Seven News Sydney.

Obviously tonight’s production coming via Sydney, so nationally had to switch to that output.

Seven’s EPG laziness (character limit) evident tonight with Eugenie cut off as “Eugeni”, which looks worse, as you could potentially spell/pronounce it as such, making it seem like a rookie error.

1 Like

Can’t believe that BH&G was dumped for this multi-channel fodder at best.

9 Likes

It’s on 7Two just for tonight.

And not sure if anyone capped it (tried via 7Plus Brisbane live stream but BCM didn’t air one there) but in Sydney and Melbourne at 7pm start of the telecast a “switch now” banner appeared for BH&G.

I have one question - why are we even marking this occasion? It’s not the big two, why bother?

3 Likes

Switched to UK coverage now:

1 Like

The fact that Nine and the ABC (not even the News Channel from what I can tell) aren’t airing rolling coverage probably says something about how much Australian interest there actually is in the wedding of Princess Eugenie & Jack Brooksbank.

To be honest, I can see why Seven is rolling the dice with this. The other one a few months back went big and to be honest, it’s quite cheap. I doubt ITV will be asking much to access their feed and they’ll be banking on something live attracting more eyeballs than a movie repeat or whatever else is on.

4 Likes

We had friends over tonight and have ended up watching the wedding, quite unplanned. There could be more interest that one (including me) suspects.

4 Likes

You also liked On Air’s comment, so not sure if you’re having it both ways? But I think whilst I agree with what you said, it also means like On Air indicates about a few months ago, if tonight does draw in lots of viewers (which as there’s very little if no competition tonight probably more likely) that have exclusivity - backfiring for Nine, Ten, ABC and SBS?

I often like people’s comments (even if I don’t agree entirely) when they make a fair point!

Of course we’ll just have to wait and see what the ratings are like but if tonight’s coverage on Seven does draw in a lot of viewers, it’ll prove that Nine and the ABC made a big mistake. If the ratings are poor, then it probably says something about how much interest there is in Australia when arguably the country’s two most news-intensive TV networks aren’t going out with rolling coverage.

1 Like

The Nine news app sent an alert to follow live updates on the wedding ( no thanks).

2 Likes