Regional Affiliation Swap 2021

Seven already delivers the solely local news format in those markets.

The only issue would be in places like Toowoomba or Townsville. You have a proper local news at 6pm on Seven and Prime7. A “regional statewide” news at 6pm won’t ever be a ratings leader.

I do agree if you made it young skewing like that Dan Haggerty news show you could try to get younger eyeballs (those who haven’t completely shunned free-to-air TV) or those not interested in traditional news bulletins and covered regional state issues.

2 Likes

I didn’t realise that SCA had used their three wishes to get an endless money tree, make ratings appear out of nowhere, and make themselves give a toss.

It’s a big shame that they don’t provide anything substantial or experiment with some kind of new product, but they’re sticking with what they know. Thank goodness the east coast attitude didn’t spread to Tasmania or the Spencer Gulf back in the 2000s when the cuts happened or in the 20 years since.

2 Likes

10-20 staff producing noodle updates that generate no income is terrible economics

The format I’m talking about is much lower cost than nwww

Ratings appear when you give something viewers want - which u can then sell advertising

Noodle updates are not Monetized

Yea nothing on a 10 station at 6 is gonna be a ratings leader

The business goal would be to use the staff you’re paying and hired to produce content you can actually Place ads in and sell so it pays for itself.

Noodle updates are not monetized from what I know.

Of course something like this will
Never happen. But it’s lack of vision and strategy - not lack of the business case for it or economics

2 Likes

Certainly possible but on the other hand there’s no need to confuse viewers in those areas if they’re already used to those channel numbers.

2 Likes

What someone like FreeTV Australia who have been calling the shots for the Metro Commercial stations for years & Regional Broadcasters Australia (who also come under the wider umbrella of FreeTV Aus) for the Regional Commercial Networks?

The ABC & SBS can’t easily be lumped into the same box, as they have different rules & regulations, licence conditions etc. to the commercial stations, they have to be managed separately & under the proposed channel reduction/multiplex sharing plan, the ABC & SBS would be lumped together sharing one multiplex, with the commercials channels sharing 2 multiplexes.

What hasn’t been confirmed & needs further discussion with that plan is, would 2 commercial networks have to share 1 multiplex, & the 3rd get an entire multiplex to themselves (& which one would that be), or do all 3 networks have to split their channels across 2 multiplexes?
In Metro areas that probably wouldn’t be a problem, because the 2 transmitters & associated input equipment would probably be at the one location, regionally however, those 2 transmitters could be at different sites, & the networks would have to double up up on all the input equipment & transit to those sites, or consolidate at one site by installing a new 2nd transmitter, but then you would need a new combiner system, possibly a new antenna system, all of which could & would likely cost multiple millions of dollars to do, at likely multiple main/large transmission sites around the country.

The Government paid for the costs of the last restack which in many places required new combiners & antennas & contracted BAI to do it, this time around all the networks & companies like TX Australia have said screw BAI making millions, we’re all doing it ourselves this time, so it’ll cost the government/taxpayers even more this time, because all these seperate companies aren’t going to do it on a bulk rate of pay scale, they’re each going to bleed as much funding out of the Government as they possible can to do it.

You’ll quite possibly find that if forced into this reduced channels/multiplx spring arrangement, & the metro networks don’t take over the regional networks, that there’ll be mergers & JV formed or an arrangement where one network will stay in an area & the other 2 will leave e.g. NBN Northern NSW, WIN Southern NSW, Prime Regional Victoria, etc. & SCA might drop out all together?

Then they’ll be no more affiliation agreements, because the one regional network will just broadcast a mix of metro network channels under a channel by channel agreement at the best cost they can get, & if one metro network wants to charge a lot for a particular channel, the regional network might decide not to take that one, they’ll take a cheaper one from one of the other metro networks instead, similar to the Foxtel setup, where the metro networks become content providers to the regional networks & they buy/show whatever they think suits their market best & what they can get at the best price, which essentially will go back to how it all was regionally pre-aggregation only difference will be it’s a channel by channel arrangement, not show by show arrangement as it was pre-aggregation.

3 Likes

Will be a little strange for viewers in Griffith, Central West NSW and Mackay come Thursday - WIN becomes Nine and WIN News simultaneously makes a return.

4 Likes

SCA are appearing to only try to meet the minimum requirement and no more

It probably needs the right radio format as well - it would be out of place on a regional Hit station, might work on a regional MMM station

2 Likes

Might be ok for Australia Talks with Steve Price and Natarsha Belling.

4 Likes

Most likely candidate for sure, but possibly doesnt deliver the TV local content points though - another challenge.

2 Likes

Crosses to “local reporters”?

I know WIN News is launching a statewide bulletin, but do we have confirmation that these markets will actually receive the statewide bulletin?

Will be a bit pointless to show them there, considering there are no journalists on the ground to bring local stories to the bulletin.

2 Likes

Affiliation swap - WIN/Nine News - TAS version

1 Like

That is brilliant! They put the Brisbane version on the WIN News Tasmania facebook page and then have put the Vic/Tas version on the WIN News Cairns page!

8 Likes

I only linked to Cairns as that was the site I was looking at, but other QLD sites have the TAS edition also, looks like someone may have mislabelled the promos?

4 Likes

makes the stories from last week re SCA having talks with 7 seem a little more interesting, PRIME and 7 are rumored to be talking as well as their agreement runs out in 18 months. Lots of things to play out in the next couple of years

4 Likes

Darwin will stay the same. Nine has to agree to the number changes as they manage that element of the station.

True, but the numbering isn’t decided by them surely, as Spencer follows the same method. I can’t see Nine kicking up a stink over Bold and Peach swapping. Not that it -really- matters, just a case of my MSOLCNCD (MediaSpy obsessive logical channel number consistency disorder)

11 Likes

Oh! I thought you referring to having the numbers changed to 50s :no_mouth:

I like the order of Darwin at the moment, especially having HD on the main channel number.

2 Likes