Regional Affiliation Swap 2021

Gold Coast and it was Sea FM.

3 Likes

Here is the Sea90.9 breakfast show from 2009 for anyone looking for how it did work…

12 Likes

Interesting. Might have been better with TV noodle updates inserted. NZ have done the radio/TV dual broadcast well before but they likely cost more…

5 Likes

Thanks for that. I’m reminded too that Southern Cross Ten did similar with 4TO in Townsville at around the same time

5 Likes

Going by that clip, it’s not hard to understand why SC10’s attempt at “breakfast radio on TV” didn’t last long!

6 Likes

Here’s how CBC do it in Canada in about 20 cities between 6am-7am

9 Likes

Ooh, I do like the Canadian approach, perhaps something in this format could work

4 Likes

Won’t the 10 stations owned by SCA take Headline News between 6-8.30am leading into Studio 10?

That’s what I’m expecting - it’s possibly part of the deal with Sky, same as WIN

No, it’s a WIN programming move to provide something relevant other than bloody encores. One thing Ten does well, infiltrating half their schedule.

In fact, WIN’s NNSW schedule post affiliation change has Headline News only on SNOW.

2 Likes

nope. its studio 10 from 8 am

1 Like

I wonder if SCA will renumber their Darwin and Spencer Gulf multi-channels after July 1 to be in line with their new east coast 10’s?

SCA 10 Spencer Gulf Darwin
5 10 5 10 1 10
50 10 HD 50 10 HD 10 10 HD
51 10 51 10 11 10
52 10 Peach 52 10 Bold 12 10 Bold
53 10 Bold 53 10 Peach 13 10 Peach
54 10 Shake
5 Likes

So why would we not expect Sky to ask SCA to run headline news ñ, like win did?

I expect that happening soon. Sky News has become a revenue booster for ailing regional 10’s, no matter the network. They’d be mad not to replace the morning filler with a program already produced for the 10 audience.

5 Likes

It’ll already be on SNR.

SCA aren’t concerned about news, that’s not their schtick.

Yes unfortunately. SCA aren’t too concerned they could sell local ads in Headline News if they air it on their main channel.

They’re more than happy to place bonus ads in 10s breakfast wasteland.

Not gonna happen i know, but with the 10 journalists SCA have hired and existing staff in place and a few more hires i feel SCA could produce 3 statewide news shows to run at 6pm

10 Queensland Tonight
10 New South Wales Tonight
10 Victoria Tonight

Local headline news similar to the updates from cities across the state. Long form interviews and discussion on regional and state wide issues via Skype (like Ticker) some state wide / local weather

Not a lot of field footage or filed reports. (Maybe one or two as it’s expensive)

This is a format many local stations are now doing at 7!8’ the US after local news at 6 and network news at 630

One host. Simple set up. Discussion, analysis and Intwrviews with key state and local politicians and news makers

Very cheap TV. And it’s rating

SCA could schedule “10 Queensland Tonight” 6-630, sell ads and make money and actually have a strong point of difference to win. Eww and 7 / prime local news

3 Likes

SCA just doesn’t care. Possibly if it was a network with a news heritage then yes but they’d have to set up studio infrastructure in QLD, Southern NSW/ACT and VIC.

Sky News On WIN exclusively had a nightly “regional issues” show hosted by Peter Gleeson out of Brisbane. Just don’t think the ratings were there.

2 Likes

Many small market stations who can’t afford to produce News in the US are doing formats like this instead. Long form interviews via Skype. Viewer tweets and Facebook interaction. Some weather.

This format is connecting really well with viewers and rating well. Taking off to bigger markets now too

This one below is more production intensive, scaled down ones have a guy at desk, interviews via Skype and viewer interactivity with some live cams of the region at throws to break

1 Like

Can be done from Tasmania - audiences In Australia have no problem
Getting news from 1000km away

Well, with WIN’s now statewide news (and the ‘local 6pm’ time slot opening up) there might be some opportunity and someone should give WIN some competition… Sounds like a format that may suit 10 audiences well, particularly leading into the Project.

3 Likes