Regional Affiliation Swap 2021

Yep, hoping the graphics are good like the TDT9 current updates which are fantastic and do feel just like a proper Nine news update.
So if they can get some good graphics - not sure whether they need to clear that with Ten or whatever they need to do but that mock from @SydneyCityTV earlier was fantastic and combined with the presentation expertise from SCA Tas they should be a decent enough quality and much better than the old days.

6 Likes

That standard promo that has been running across today’s programs in Queensland.

15 Likes

Great to hear that it’s still getting some love 3.5 months later! :+1:

Of course I wouldn’t have a clue as to what sort of graphical equipment SCA Tasmania uses (let alone how to use it) but if we’re talking about VizRT, it should be a simple case of getting the files off Ten. 10 News First graphics except with a “10 Local News” logo would be just about perfect for those updates IMO.

10 Likes

and with a name like 10 Local News it can be made generic enough that it can be used in all places while still looking professional and not out of place so can save a bit of costs and time there too - and fits in well with 10 News’ cheap and consolidated too!

7 Likes

It was too good to discard.

Generic is probably safer to avoid the risk of things being inserted into the wrong markets but local titlecards, like they use for the opening of the 5 weekday bulletins at the moment, would look great in the regional areas.

3 Likes

What restrictions?

1 Like

Indeed.

:zipper_mouth_face:

5 Likes

I think if they end up using the 10 News First brand the should use it in full.

If I was in charge there would be no way 10 should let the news brand (as weak as some people may think it is) be bastardized by or for their affiliate.

They can simply add a super somewhere such as under the logo or in the OTS with ‘Local Headlines’ or ‘Regional Updates’ etc if the were to use the same package.

Or better yet, 10 could refresh their current package a little at the same time as SCA start their new updates and we can break the 10 News First Content and Appearance thread.

1 Like

Very little chance of making individual local title cards for 14-16 markets plus TDT if the end product will only be noodle updates. Especially if Ten are supplying the graphics they would just send the standard “10 News First Update” cards which are generic across all five metro bulletins anyway so I doubt the regionals would get anything else.

3 Likes

Just shows the system is broken at both metro and regional level with the metros having had the upper hand since the start of Aggregation.

The metros have had it good by having captive regional affiliates who are locked into expensive affiliation agreements, pay for 100% of the content feed if you use it or not, which is why the metros are in no rush at all to buy out the regionals. But when the regionals fall over, there goes national reach advertising which the metros do rely on. It works both ways. I would argue the metro networks would take on national transmission costs, but not pay full price or any price for a regional licence, instead waiting for one to fall over and gobble up in a fire sale. Which sadly is the way it will go over time if the situation stays as is.

And on top, spectrum sharing would reduce costs for all 5 national networks. There would need to be some kind of Freeview consortium company of all 5 networks to facilitate transmission DVBT2 multiplex sharing.

They’re not - I’ve seen them use the local title cards for weekday updates. But I take your point - it would be logistically difficult and probably not worth the effort.

I’ve often thought this: with the hiring of 10 new staff to produce around 60 noodle updates a day - at some point isn’t it easier to just produce say 3 x 30 minute bulletins for QLD, NSW & VIC?

2 Likes

I would have thought the cheapest way of reaching the local production quotas would be airing the statewide Hit breakfast shows on TV - including just pointing a TV camera at the person doing the reading for the news updates.

2 Likes

that would need a lot more than ten staff? You can’t just have 30 minute bulletins with just a newsreader and a green screen and no reports/live crosses/etc. That’s all going to need resources in the field.

didn’t one of the Ten regionals do this at one stage?

5 Likes

That’s what small tv stations do in Canada And many parts of the world - adding news headlines, a ticker, weather and traffic graphics ro the screen

Would be brilliant

Way too innovative for Australia though

4 Likes

Why not?

They’re hiring journalists. Why can’t these people appear on screen. Reporting discussing. Also 10 is new staff hires. Presume more staff already exist. Cable news channels full hours of talking heads with no field vision that still makes for great television

1 Like

I don’t know, I’m not sold on the idea so far.

5 Likes

Yes, SCA did it a couple of times for a couple of weeks iirc. Exactly where I can’t remember.

1 Like