Regional Affiliation Swap 2021

Again, as I have said time and time again, there should be no difference in the channels and programming between Metro and Regional. It is thanks to people like Prime Media Group, SCA (Somewhat) and Old-Mappy WIN that there is a difference.
Fortunately, provided the Nine-WIN Deal goes ahead, we will then be one step closer to equal programming across the board as Nine will go regional and SCA will adopt the TEN Name…

2 Likes

In an ideal world, yes.

But given that the Seven Queensland and Nine Darwin/NBN experience isn’t quite on-par with those of their major metropolitan counterparts, I’m not convinced that regional Australia will ever quite have 100% the same TV viewing experience that the five largest markets enjoy for various reasons.

There are major issues which divide metropolitan and regional Australia that actually need to be addressed and have equality achieved (think the quality of healthcare, roads, education, etc.) long before we get the city networks owning and operating the country ones…but this of course is obviously a very long debate for another time and topic.

6 Likes

and that i guess is why we do DXing.

Why can’t you just watch 10shake and 9rush via streaming on a connected TV like you watch Netflix. How many hours a week do you want to watch these channels?

That’s not my point. My point is that it should be available via Over The Air aswell. Both should be available because what happens during the frequent nbn outages? What about those who don’t have internet? I’m thinking about others here. Not everyone is as fortunate as us to have that option available.

1 Like

Another article re-reporting the information from The Australian without paywall. Has some more info than was revealed by Mediaweek’s reporting.

2 Likes

Why should it?

Why should companies operate a service that’s not economically viable?

Would you prefer the regional TV groups carry more Channels at a loss so they have even less money to spend on local news etc?

The channels are not viable in smaller markets. It’s as simple as that.

What do you do with regards to email, Netflix etc when the internet goes out. You survive for a few hours. It’s 10Shake with Spongebob and My Teen Mom. If the internet goes down there are bigger problems

3 Likes

Alright you have me on that one.
Just it would be nice to have it locally.
The networks taking over will probably include the extra channels in the rebrand. Assuming that is the outcome.

Not sure, but Ten are better positioned this time around then they were last time

from memory WIN bought it for about $18 million - so that range may be a decent estimate of value

1 Like

Extra, Spree TV, Openshop, ishop tv, aspire TV, SBN, Gold and Sky News on WIN should all be available nationwide?

2 Likes

$55 million

1 Like

The costs to broadcast an additional channel if they can use existing infrastructure would be minimal. It’s a matter of changing transmitters. Regional Australians should have easy access to the same channels as their metro counterparts. If they are able to use existing infrastructure it’s unlikely they would loose money out of broadcasting an additional channel so I don’t agree. It’s possible the existing transmitters only support the stations they have without a costly upgrade. If so when they upgraded it last they should have foreseen that additional channels would be a future prospect instead of treating regional Australians as second class citizens.

There are some markets in regional Australia that are a similar size as Adelaide population wise and Adelaide has the extra channel so I don’t by that as an excuse either. Some markets have very few transmitters.
They are quick to broadcast shopping channels or rubbish like Sky News but slow at putting on worthwhile stations. That should not happen.

5 Likes

It doesn’t make sense from a sales perspective, it splits the audience too much.

Adelaide stations don’t have to give 50% of their revenue back to someone else

1 Like

I wouldn’t consider any aggregated licence area to be ‘one market’. Clients who buy ads in Canberra often don’t buy them in Dubbo and so on, different areas within the same ‘market’ can charge more or less money etc

2 Likes

That mappy is not big enough.

3 Likes

One day

Dude what part of there is not enough advertising to support more commercial channels do you not understand. How are people “second class citizens” if the economics of the area they chose to live in can’t support the same services as a larger market?

The smaller markets are already squeezed massively for ad Dollars. Go to New York there’s dozens more channels than there is in Ohio. I don’t understand what’s hard to understand about this

2 Likes

Similar Market size in terms of population but not in terms of ad revenue.

Regional markets have proportionally smaller revenue not directly related to population count.

Sky News out rates 10Shake by about 6:1

They’re carrying the channel that is getting viewership 6 times more than Shake. A smart economic decision. And also a popular one. Giving viewers what they want.

Shake; Rush and Life are available nationwide via streaming just like Netflix, Stan, Disney +

It’s the future

4 Likes

The ABC and SBS are our national broadcasters and essentially provide the same television service whether people live in Sydney or live in Alice Springs.

For commercial operators we’re talking about niche channels like Rush, Shake, whatever. These are not an essential service or part of any universal service obligation. These are commercial services and it is for those services to determine the commercial viability. i.e. they have to make money from these channels.

5 Likes

“Just add the extra channel”
“Costs will be minimal”

Oh dear.

4 Likes

Dude, just flick a switch, it’s fine :woozy_face:

5 Likes