Regional Affiliation Swap 2021

Having all the stations available in regional areas is more important than having HD channels.

1 Like

Again, adding more channels isn’t necessarily viable. Upgrading existing channels to HD means not adding another channel and also assists in handling network sporting commitments in HD for which there is a definite need and may even be a contractual requirement?

4 Likes

Those people who still watch TV at all are generally of an older persuasion and wouldn’t be so desperate to get channels such as 10 shake

1 Like

… it’s a fact of history and just because young people today think that if they ignore historical facts that they will go away, the fact is they won’t …

3 Likes

I disagree. HD sport is more important than James Corden and Top Gear reruns.

13 Likes

Need to increase the picture quality of Nine JV channels in WIN areas including Mildura, Griffith, South East SA and WA.

I can’t remember TEN West ever being that bad, was it Bruce’s way at getting back at 9 after losing affiliation?

I live in a cross over market with metro channels available and I have to leave my rental soon and am dredding finding a place with access to only Nine WA lol. Might need to invest in a tall mast.

3 Likes

MHA sources Nine from a cheap link to Wollongong. They try and squeeze as many streams they can on the one link. That’s what I’ve heard anyway.

2 Likes

Hope all will be rectified if WIN and Nine reunite. I’m not too fussed about extra channels, just getting the main channel right should be a priority.

2 Likes

I’m keen to see 9HD make a return to regional WA.

5 Likes

You’re correct, ~540k vs ~380k. Sorry for getting that so wrong.

Aggregation’s aim was to make available the same content outside of the metro cities, and that should still be an objective.
Of course streaming is the big difference between 1989 and today.
Now if only the Liberal-National Party government hadn’t nobbled the NBN; fibre to (almost) every house would’ve allowed HD for every channel, and UHD (4k) for many channels now too.

3 Likes

I agree with you with every point you make here.
While I generally support the Coalition. They have screwed up NBN big time.

Unlikely, SCA would want to keep its precious religion channel SBN (Sonlife Broadcasting Network).

2 Likes

That’s true. Although very few people watch it.

1 Like

the only people who watch SBN are religious zealots or believe in Jimmy Swaggart’s preachings about God.

3 Likes

It’s all about the money, and religions have plenty of it because - for some bizarre historic reason - we don’t tax religious organisations (appalling this continues even after seeing how much abuse they’ve been responsible for).

3 Likes

Just because there has been some abuse from religious cults and areas, doesn’t mean it can all be tarred with the same brush. Simply a matter of weeding that out.

There are a lot of people in society that need the structure and discipline that religion and faith provides to not be destructive members of society. I’ll take that over people thinking they are invincible and can do whatever they want with no consequence any day of the week because of our light feather justice system.

2 Likes

I don’t need fear of an imaginary being to not be an awful person.
The rampant sexual abuse in religious organisations has proven that such a belief doesn’t stop harm, and some beliefs allowing forgiveness for any crime perhaps only perpetuates it.

Not everyone who is religious is evil (and I wasn’t suggesting that), but those in charge have been more interested in protecting the organisations rather than victims.

People can believe whatever fairytales they were told when children, but there’s no logical reason for taxpayers to have to subsidise religion (charity is a separate matter).

Teaching people to believe in things contrary to provable facts is damaging to society. The lack of critical thinking religion requires is a slippery slope to bizarre conspiracy nonsense like QAnon.

Wanting something to be true doesn’t make it so.

Sorry to be off-topic here.

1 Like

Apologies for being off topic but I feel I need to respond to this attack. You could tax our church for the next hundred years and it still wouldn’t come anywhere near what Harvey Norman took with the Job Keeper last year. We don’t have millions or billions and what we do have does go to helping people in our community just like other churches. We help single mums, mums of pre schoolers, school breakfast clubs, dads and other men and so many others with funds mostly from donations of people who have worked hard and been taxed already and CHOOSE to give to help others. We also are a part of the redress scheme despite thankfully not having any accusations or cases against us. Taxing the companies who spend more on avoiding taxes than paying the would help the country a lot more than targeting groups helping others constantly under attack from people who hear only snippets and form their opinions on that basis. Sorry for going off topic but it gets to me.

As for the SBN channel it’s a waste of space but free money for SCA so why wouldn’t they put it to air? It’s about money from whatever sources not about trying to keep a couple of people happy.

6 Likes

I agree SBN is money for SCA and Morrison has been awful in not closing tax loopholes & allowing the rorting of JobKeeper (while attacking individuals with RoboDebt), but as a matter of principal religion should pay tax just like anyone else.
At the very least any religious organisation that isn’t signed up to the redress scheme should’ve lost their exempt status.
Charities that don’t push religion should continue to be tax-exempt (but let’s not subsidise those who may push people to join their religion when they’re at their lowest, weakest).

Anyway, trying to get back to the topic; I wonder how long any back-and-forth between Nine, WIN & SCA will go. I’d hope something is announced in a month.

3 Likes

I doubt it. All these networks want each other and they will stop at nothing to get their way. I honestly don’t think we’re going to know exactly what will happen until we are only weeks away from the Golden Date (1st of July).

1 Like