Random TV History

Come to think of it, they could’ve used the old Today Tonight desk had Naomi Robson made it to the Grand Final of DWTS in the first half of 2007.

2 Likes

I seem to recall an interview prior to the 1993 election where Mike Willesee was in the studio and Paul Keating was at Parliament House, which had this same setup. I was of the impression that setting up your interviewer/interviewees was quite a common thing that has fallen out of favor, although I could be wrong.

The other good example I can think of (and can link to) is Richard Carleton in Canberra interviewing Bob Hawke in Brisbane: Bob Hawke labels Carleton "a damned impertinence" | ABC News - YouTube

3 Likes

'That’s Melbourne" Channel 10 jingle
(this one is different to the one already up on youtube)

5 Likes

Denis Walter WIN news promo

3 Likes

Michael Long singing for Kevin Sheedy on THIS IS YOUR LIFE

1 Like

I remember just happening to be at the Flinders Street steps while they were filming that scene with David Johnston, though i think it was for a news promo a few years earlier. I do seem to recall they did a lot of takes just for a few seconds of footage!

1 Like

With the NSW election coming up, I was wondering if anyone had the NSW election ad/PSA from 2003 which was very catchy. It went along the lines of:

“It’s your day to have your say…you’ve got a point of view, it’s up to you, on election day…March 22!”

2 Likes

I reckon that would’ve been one of the last local 10 promos we would see in Melbourne.

1 Like

Once on Sunrise in 2005, before Kochie’s “Joke of the Day” (which was discontinued in 2006) Seven would air (what would appear to be) a mock (M) classification screen. Can anyone remember what the joke was about? It definitely wasn’t the one that involved John Howard, which led to the segment being discontinued.

3 Likes

Found this on Facebook. A NQTV ID from the late 1970s. NQTV promotion (1979) | Look at this fabulous TNQ7 station promotional ad from the late 70ies! Some wonderful images and memories of #Townsville back then. Make sure you check... | By Townsville Turns 150: The Old and The News Exhibition | Facebook

4 Likes

An ANSETT commercial - from 2001 - starring celebrity cameos.
Placed into administration later that year

3 Likes

The cracks were already starting to show in the long term viability of the airline at this time despite Ansett spending millions on this campaign, immediately after spending millions on Olympics related marketing.

1 Like

I remember being in Cairns at the time Ansett collapsed

And being SO relieved that I had booked a QANTAS flight back home!

3 Likes

I’m very loyal to Qantas and fly with them all the time. I don’t remember ever flying Ansett but I was young when they collapsed. I don’t generally check the price of any of the other airlines I go straight to Qantas.com. But I did like this Ansett campaign it had various different versions one even featuring Bert Newton.

4 Likes

The livery of the Ansett aircraft still looks modern though. I’d always had the strongest association with the brand through seeing it during the cricket coverage, but it was well dead before the first time I flew.

I’m surprised by those electronic checkin kiosks, I wouldn’t have thought you’d have that kind of self service stuff that early.

I’d assume well executed promotion and branding, even if they were heading for failure would be an exercise in trying to maintain consumer confidence.

4 Likes

I remember that jingle :+1:I was living in Townsville with my family then ,just before we all relocated to Brisbane

1 Like

Air New Zealand had also taken Ansett over by around that time, and I recall allegations that Air NZ were stripping money out of Ansett… but the launch of Virgin Blue just before the Olympics threw the cat amongst the pigeons… Impulse was still around to be in the price war too. (The latter didn’t last long after Ansett either… mopped up by Qantas to add to QantasLink and be the basis in part for Jetstar.) Certainly whatever had happened didn’t leave them in a good shape.

Interesting times in the news too, two days or so after the the Sept. 11 attacks and suddenly the local networks had to switch away from the round-the-clock coverage of that to cover Ansett’s grounding.

I guess the one part of it that is still kicking around in spirit is what became Rex, which took over regional airlines Kendell (which was fully Ansett-branded by the demise except for the name… not unlike the QantasLink airlines prior to that name) and Hazelton (which still had their own branding, from memory, and Rex still use the “ZL” prefix from that).

2 Likes

The writing had been on the wall for a little while - Ansett had gone big on the Olympic sponsorship and in the meantime were starting to see the impacts of having an aging fleet.

The claim of asset stripping was ultimately never proven from memory

4 Likes

well, this is pretty random. The Australian Television Archive has come across footage from the 1979 Miss Teenage Victoria Quest, featuring an 18-year-old Tracy Grimshaw.

The telecast aired on HSV7 on 23 May 1979. Another contestant in the quest was Young Talent Time cast member, Debbie Hancock, who was runner up.

7 Likes

Steve Titmus early in his career at TVT6 Hobart.

4 Likes