Random TV History

I like how TVT6 still manages to have a world map that looks like it cuts off Tasmania.

They should have gone the strategy that One News in NZ tried and pretend they are huge

4 Likes

I didn’t realise he had been down at TVT6 - or would this have been when they were both the one network and could actually have been done from TNT9 for both of them.

You’d think someone could quickly add a paint spot for it! The graphics were very 80’s too - I was waiting for He-Man to jump out or something.

1 Like

He was in Hobart along with Anna McMahon at the time.

2 Likes

It is there but gets blocked out by his shoulder. If it was a fraction to the left or he moved a fraction to the right, we’d see it :grin:

2 Likes

5 Likes

If memory serves me correctly he was at TVT, did a stint in Adelaide then returned to Tassie and TNT.

3 Likes

Spot on @dipper - I think he may have even started in newpaper at Examiner at the very beginning too.

2 Likes

AUGUST 15, 2004 CH 9 NEWSBREAK now online. (they were quite long newsbreaks back then)

1 Like

They were often late evening news breaks and they did appear… if not nationally, we did get them in Sydney on the nights Nightline wasn’t on [probably between the two codes of footy on a Friday night, for instance]. The graphics GTV9 used for the weather [particularly the version used before this] really stood out as they were a lot different to what was used in Sydney.

Of course, one could say the same for the 6pm newses in both cities too; the big over-the-shoulders they were putting behind Peter Hitchener looked really odd compared to the much more staid look they were giving Brian Henderson and Jim Waley up at TCN.

[The reverse, of course, could be said for Seven at the time as HSV didn’t give Peter Mitchell big plasmas like they did with Ross and Ann up at ATN, not for a while anyway… not sure if that changed in Melbourne when they moved into BCM as my main memory of that was in early 2000.]

1 Like

Crime Investigation Australia tonight featured archive video provided by WIN about the death of Ross Warren
and interview with Susie Elelman.

In the 1980s and 90s, on a cliff-top walk near Bondi Beach, gangs of thugs staged bloody attacks on anyone they perceived to be gay and then hurled them to their deaths into the ocean below.

3 Likes

With the Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal on again, here’s some flashbacks from past appeals dating back to the 1950s, including Mal Walden, Paul Hogan, Delvene Delaney, Jeanne Little, Mike Willesee, Garry Meadows, Barbara Rogers.

Source: TV Scene

1 Like

@rhettrospective’s posting of a 2000 Seven News update in that historical Seven thread had an ‘Everywhere’ jingle following it, which reminded me of Nine’s news promos from around 1991.

In searching for that, YouTube ended up giving me this video of 20 mins worth of a Friday night episode of Robbo’s World Tonight in 1990, which includes a good run of the program’s theme at the end (warning, he makes some off cuff comments one can’t really make these days). Some good banter between Robbo and Liz Hayes to boot.

1 Like

Ch7 news break - May 6, 1996

4 Likes

Ch9 Nightline full episode (The night Sydney won the Olympics bid)

5 Likes

Some random finds:

WIN News Mildura 1995

MTN News Griffith 1980s

The reporter at 2:58 bears a striking resemblance to Richard Wilkins, but surely it isn’t!

2 Likes

It isn’t. RW was probably still “Richard Wilde” in NZ at the time. And i don’t think the reporter looks like him apart from that hideous 80s hair.

1 Like

Channel 10 Eyewitness News “Job Spot” segment going into the ad break

2 Likes

Good list put together by TvTonight and @TelevisionAU

Part 2 tomorrow.

7 Likes

Part 2

Its a difficult one… but with the inclusion of The Block, what about Dancing with the Stars or Big Brother? I’m assuming the list only includes Australian made formats.

Sunrise is another difficult one. I’ve always felt its start date should be set with Chris Bath in 1996. But that’s just me.

2 Likes

The disclaimer is at the bottom of the post

Methodology: Australian TV shows (excluding news / sport) prior to 2010 still in production, or which remain with same producers / network.

Because we discussed that, as also with Idol. Shows like BB, DWTS were definitive cuts/changes between networks and production companies with breaks between them. The Block was a little different in that it while it had a break in production it was recognised as being the same producer and network.

Sunrise was a different case. It was acknowledged that the Sunrise name has existed in various forms since the early 90s but while the name had different uses, the show/model we see today had its genesis in 2002.

4 Likes