Random TV History

Came across these when I was going through the “Illawarra Mercury: Supplement of the Century 1900-1999” Special Newspaper:

First 30 Years of WIN:

“The Big Picture” Promotion:

6 Likes

When Nine and Ten had the AFL from 2002-2006, did Central or Southern Cross Ten air Nine AFL games in the Spencer Gulf region?

SC Ten was essentially a dirty feed with ad-inserts, Central aired Nine produced AFL content.

1 Like

there were occasions where they would “swap” Central and SC Ten for AFL games to account for parts of the viewing area that still didn’t have a SC Ten transmitter.

YouTube: TV Australia

3 Likes

Here’s the Movie Ident by ABC television in the early 90s.

And there doesn’t seem to be many ABC John Hinde intros up on YouTube sadly. So here’s one I’ve found tonight from my vault

3 Likes

Nine used to be the king of the new year promos in the 80s and 90s. More often than not based around that famous ‘Still the One’ slogan.

Although Ten had a few goes in those days, like this one for Ten in Sydney and there was also a Melbourne version of this one. Not sure if it was also adapted for Adelaide and I doubt Brisbane made it into “Home on 0” which might have had different connotations!

YouTube: Andrew Heslop

3 Likes

Yes. They were awesome. Seven had good ones too and they were still doing them in the 00s.

When we first had a video recorder in the mid 80s, I would record all these idents for every channel and watch them back often. I remember they used to play the extended version every day in certain timeslots. Might have been something like 6pm, 7.30pm and 10.30pm in prime time, so I’d be waiting to record them as they were rolled out.

This was probably the best one Nine ever did (in 2002), which probably cost a bomb.

4 Likes

We didn’t get a vcr until 1988 so before then I’d just have to watch at key times to try and catch them. One year i somehow missed Nine’s effort altogether, maybe i had a life that year and just never caught it, and once Feb came around it would be gone. i didn’t see it until someone put it on YouTube about 30 years later.

1 Like

Seven also sometimes did new idents during the year like this one during the Sydney Olympics 2000.

And this was the most memorable one from Ten for me in 1992.

2 Likes

And before I forget, there’s this one from Seven in 1979 which featured all the network male presenters dancing around with random scantily clad women. :open_mouth: Quite funny what was acceptable for network newsreaders and hosts in those days. :joy:

From the promo for the upcoming Season 2 of The Newsreader on the ABC, we see a snippet of the newsreaders dancing in what looks like a network ident with other personalities and looking rather uncomfortable. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

3 Likes

Are there any TV presentation websites from Australia? (I’m not talking about YouTube. I don’t have any problem with it, I’m just looking for things that may not be on there)

this is it was never released as a single, yet due to this advert “this is it” is the first thing that comes to mind when i think of Toni Pearen, even more so than actual singles like “in your room” or “i want you”

The days when Networks had money to spend.

Also, most of the talent seen would’ve had exclusive network contracts at the time.

I seem to recall in an interview she did a few years ago that there was some pressure or move to release This Is It as a single but with a bit of youthful naivety and other priorities going on she didn’t really push it.

Then Danni Minogue covered it which probably put an end to any further release of that song.

2 Likes

Nine’s short-lived ‘Come on Along’ campaign from 1983.

YouTube: dontv3192

Look out for the obvious cover-up at the 30 second mark.

2 Likes

One of Seven’s

1 Like

this was about the earliest one I remember:

YouTube: steve rutherford

Although I only had vague recollection of “You’re On Top With 10” in 1980, only seeming to remember it had snippets of Rocky in it, but then this one came onto YouTube which at least validated that part of my memory :stuck_out_tongue:

YouTube: dontv3192

4 Likes

And the original was a big dance hit in clubs only a few years earlier.

1 Like

Ruth Campbell did a version around the early 1990’s Ruth Campbell - 'This Is It [Radio Version]' (1990) - YouTube
Source: Compact Dic’s Digital Audio (YouTube)

3 Likes