Random TV History

i think i may have bought that on vinyl back in the day :open_mouth:

I have the CD single. :laughing: I had forgotten the singer’s name.

The Big Breakfast circa 1999.

5 Likes

My earliest memory of station idents was the "Chuck a Lucky Seven"ones where everyone did the “five and two” gesture with their hands. I’m sure it was late 70s, early 80s. It was something kids at school copied.

This is one version of theident but I can remember there were also other ones with Channel Seven personalities doing the “Chuck a Lucky Seven”.

1 Like

Seven revived the idea in 2003 with different ways to “Chuck a Lucky Seven”. This version was very sexual and suggestive. :joy:

2 Likes

Perfect Match Australia Day 1988 episode - contestants are dressed as convicts and Cameron as Captain Phillip :smile:

Might get a slight reaction if broadcast now.

TVO News Australia Day 1988.mp4_000002800

7 Likes

This song by Kim Durant was released as a single.

4 Likes

NRTV closedown I found on YouTube. Given the program lineup that is announced, this would be from late 1991. Goodnight From NRTV - YouTube
Credit: steve rutherford (YouTube)

1 Like

Please don’t get your aerial removed when you get Pay TV, you might regret it.

4 Likes

I wonder how many people have since done that with streaming, thinking they can rely on the FTA streaming services instead of terrestrial TV and now regretted it.

I wouldn’t wish that upon anyone. Watching the streaming version of Seven, Nine and Ten is so annoying. They insist upon broadcasting different ads so you have to put up with ads repeated continuously and sometimes the ads they slot in are out of sync so they get chopped off all of a sudden. It’s a dreadful experience for the viewer. It’s been like this for years. They need to fix it since VOD including live streaming is the highest growing source of revenue the FTA stations have. They need to show their viewers respect. Not to mention the ABC IView app has a better user experience then the commercial stations. There is no excuse. And they wonder why noone is watching? It’s not rocket science

1 Like

Some of Good Morning Australia in December 1998:

Cheez TV segments from December 1998:

40ish minute recordings of both those episodes can be found here (with Pokémon, Men in Black and BeetleBorgs included):

4 Likes

There was a similar version of this ad with the same characters that I remember. I only ever saw it once.

1 Like

I remember this ad vividly. Thanks for posting.

I know a lot of people who’ve abandoned their FTA aerials then get caught out at Grand Final time and the like with no easy way to watch the game.

Interestingly, I was speaking to the antenna bloke when I had some work done on my antenna and he was saying there was a surprising number of new installs being done, with people abandoning Foxtel and just going for FTA + streaming. The poor bloke was hoping to slide into semi-retirement but reckons he can’t keep up with demand. This was also during the FIFA World Cup so there was a big demand for people trying to pick up SBS for the first time in years as well.

5 Likes

As with all the other tradies, probably also caught up in the building/ renovating boom, with people wanting new TV outlets or getting existing ones moved.

1 Like

I see a lot of new antenna installs in Melbourne are VHF-only, this will mean that these viewers will miss out on C31 (which transmits on UHF-32). Given the recent problems with their app (discussed in the Community TV thread) the best way to receive C31 is with a combined VHF/UHF antenna. When I got my outside antenna a few years ago my installer recommended some cheap antennas that are VHF-only but I insisted on wanting a VHF/UHF so I can watch C31 even though it was a more expensive option. Glad I did.

2 Likes

If you are in a good signal area for Mt Dandenong, you could probably get C31 on a VHF antenna anyway.

My UHF antenna is vertical and optimised for Belmont North / Wyong but also gets Sydney VHF during strong tropospheric ducting.

3 Likes

If you ever wondered what happened to some of the original cast of The Saddle Club.

Here’s an article from Woman’s magazine from the 14-02-1955.

1 Like