Random TV History

I watched the Elton John episode from 1982 this afternoon. It originally aired on TEN10 in August 1982. You forget how good his voice was before the surgery.

5 Likes

Real 80’s graphics with the pixelated face of Parkinson.

1 Like

I notice on at least one of the Parkinson episodes the following appears in the program guide

The following program expresses attitudes that are not consistent with current standards and may offend some viewers.

The interviewees are Neville Wran, Jill Wran and Derryn Hinch.

2 Likes

Rare Channel 10 station ID from 1970.

YouTube: Australian Television Archive

2 Likes

I think that may have been a proposal for a new logo but never got used on air to my knowledge.

2 Likes

Could’ve been a proposal for TEN-10 or SAS-10.

1 Like

That stands to reason as they were the only metro 10 stations at the time.

1 Like

might have been from GLV10 as its logo had a “10” in a similar style

GLV10AD

9 Likes

Tonight’s Seven Flashback in Brisbane ending with a rare tag “This is Robyn Power (?) for Seven Eyewitness News”.

5 Likes

Given the accompanying scenes of industry and agriculture I reckon you’re on the money.

3 Likes

Some of our older members may (or may not) remember that Channel 10 once aired a music program on late nights called Ground Zero (I remember the show myself, but don’t ever remember watching it).

I managed to find some footage of the show from 1999 featuring an interview with American singer Jewel (whose hits included “Standing Still” and “Intuition” among others):

4 Likes

Robyn Power was a TV Week “Telebird” in March 1972

She also featured in this report featured on Seven News Flashback last month

YouTube: 7NEWS Australia

5 Likes

hosted by (than) married couple Ugly Phil and Jackie O. I can;t confirm it, but i suspect this was one of her earliest hosting gigs

1 Like

And then Phil was axed to make way for Jade Gatt from CheezTV when the divorce happened or it was a network decision. Too long ago.

So Ray Wilkie was presenting Ten Sydney weather as well as Brisbane at one point? Presumedly he was pre recorded from Brisbane. Also pre recorded for the Late News I guess.

Who would have thought Ten would have gone back to the future nearly 30 years later.

Also some shots of Ten Melbourne’s reception when they were at Nunawading.

3 Likes

Yep… a lot of these areas were seen last week in the neighbours thread. Still there to this current day.

2 Likes

I’d not heard anything of that before, but that sort of thing is not entirely unheard of. Back in the '60s, HSV7 agreed to run ads to provide information to assist viewers in tuning or converting their sets to receive Channel 0, ahead of the launch of ATV0.

2 Likes

I remember on New Years’ Eve 2005, Network Ten aired a recap of the year’s major news events, including, among others, the Sydney Swans’ premiership and the execution of Australian Van Tuong Nguyen in Singapore.

At least two songs I remember being used were “Speed of Sound” by Coldplay and “Never Meant to Fail” by Alex Lloyd, the latter being used over some brief footage of Nguyen.

3 Likes

A flashback to 2008 when Sunrise crossed to their (now-defunct) counterparts in New Zealand.

8 Likes

Opener to Eyewitness News on Ten Sydney Monday 19 October 1987, the day the stock market crashed. Haven’t seen this opener for well over 30 years. ✂️ Channel 10 Sydney Eyewitness News Opener 19 October 1987 - YouTube

6 Likes