Random TV History

How did we?

I often wonder how my life would’ve been different had unlimited information been available at my fingertips in the way it is today. I remember devouring the few books we had in the house growing up, spending hours at the local library when I was old enough to get myself there and watching a lot of television to sate my appetite for knowledge. I had a very narrow view of the world and what my place in it could be.

4 Likes

I do wonder sometimes.

It’s scary what you can find so quickly, at any time. When I was in the busy supermarket yesterday and couldn’t find someone to help, I could look up the product/store and it told me which aisle to find it in.

I could also look up something I normally buy at the chemist and could see it was out of stock at the nearest one but I found which ones nearby had it in stock, so avoided running around.

I’m sure without the internet I’d find a way to develop interests in various books and magazine subscriptions and my CD collection.

I imagine there’d be a lot more interesting things to do in the community and people getting together in person instead of hanging out on forums like this one

I feel like my life would be a lot less dull if I wasn’t so pacified by the web.

4 Likes

Known affectionately in the show as “Chateau Kath”, the four-bedroom property was said to reside in the fictional suburb of Fountain Lakes.

The ABC rented the house during the series’ run from 2002 to 2007.

5 Likes

An opener for Eyewitness News Sydney from around July 1983 going by the Davis Cup story mentioned in the opener. Very basic but very American style opener in how the V/O mentions all the presenters. Chittahari and Bhavananda on TV plus other archives 1982 - YouTube
Source: Bhu-Mandala Universe (YouTube)

3 Likes

Great find. Some ABC News (with Majestic Fanfare theme) SBS News and Today in there also. I loved that era of Eyewitness News. So far ahead of it’s time with the futuristic space ship set and lead female anchor. Pity some idiot news director would ruin it a couple of years later by forcing Kate to sit on the right and giving Tim top billing.

2 Likes

Who remembers the Channel Nine rugby league show called “The Sunday Roast”?

I remember one particular segment where they presented a starting 13 titled “The All Bretts”, with the premise that the players’ first names was “Brett”. From memory I remember there was Brett Hodgson at fullback, and Brett Kimmorley at halfback and captain.

Ping @Radiohead

5 Likes

Why ping me?

But yes, I do remember it.
12pm Sundays with Andrew Voss, following Sunday Footy Show at 11am.
Can’t remember what years it ran though.

3 Likes

Think it was axed in the second half of the noughties. In Sydney and Brisbane it filled the gap between the Sunday Footy Show and AFL coverage (of the three games they aired, they only had the rights to air the Sunday 1:10pm game live).

Back then, Nine would have seven hours of sporting coverage from 11am-6pm, feeding directly into the news. But it was also in 2004/5 when their news ratings in Sydney started heading south as viewers flocked to Ian Ross on Seven.

2 Likes

Re Nine’s AFL coverage of 2002-06, yes 1.10pm was live and had to be a game from outside Melbourne as so to not impact on gate receipts and crowds.

4pm in AFL states was a bit of an oddball, I didn’t see much of it up here in NSW as it was aired early Monday mornings, but from what I remember, it seemed to be a combination of highlights of a Melbourne 3pm ? game mixed in with packages from other games?

1 Like

From memory I think it was highlights of the first and second quarters, with the second half shown in its entirety. As the broadcast was two hours, half-time was omitted.

There was the odd game in Geelong, though. And in 2004, the Anzac Day game between Collingwood and Essendon began at 1:15pm, as they had the rights to that match as well as the NRL match between the Dragons and Roosters (which that year was played on a Sunday).

3 Likes

Hearing a song triggered a memory that I thought I would share as there isn’t much mention of it anywhere on the internet.

As noted here TVQ 0 Brisbane had a slogan related to love - apparently “Make Love, Not Revolution!”. The logo was a heart and the ident theme was based on the hit song " What The World Needs Now Is Love" starting @ 1:54 I think…

2 Likes

8 Likes

Stumbled across this Webarchived page:

https://web.archive.org/web/20081122061839/http://ten.com.au/ten/ten-news-presenters.html

Interesting little look at the 10 team.

2 Likes

ABC is playing classic Parkinson In Australia late nights. Also available on iview. Last night was a 1979 episode

11 Likes

I wonder if they’ll also carry the episodes made for Network Ten in 1981/2.

1 Like

Probably not because it’s part of the 90 Years celebration of the ABC.

1 Like

Hard to tell at this stage as it isn’t being scheduled very far in advance.

Last night there were 2 classic episodes.

3 Likes

All the shades of beige and brown.

2 Likes

That way the cigarette stains blend in nicely with the decor

4 Likes