Random TV History

For a moment I thought it was Graham Kennedy in some shots.

3 Likes

It does look a bit like him!

1 Like

Ten News reporter Simon Love reporting from Victorian Parliament for the last time, and it seems the ID plate in the press gallery has never been updated apart from someone using a texta to change “ATV0” to “ATV10” :woozy_face:

9 Likes

Good thing it wasn’t an Adelaide style swap!

Changing the number totally would have required some gold paint! Or a new plate.

5 Likes

Classic stock music used by Mid State Television for their news intro as well as a music bed for the BTV6 weather updates. Was also used extensively during the 1980’s. Sounds almost like Jean-Michel Jarre’s Oxygene. Media Logos A - YouTube

Documentary of Australian Colour TV history

8 Likes

As part of its 90th anniversary, ABC has dug out a range of TV idents from the early 1970s, covering capital cities and some regional centres

YouTube: ABC Australia

11 Likes

Noticed that the major high-powered transmitters of ABC TV in large population centres such as Shepparton, Bendigo, Ballarat, Mt Gambier, Orange, Taree, Canberra among others were on the low VHF band while those in the outback (Mt Isa, Kalgoorlie) were on the high VHF band.

2 Likes

There was ABUN-7 Upper Namoi and ABQN-11 Central West Slopes that cover large areas. Most coastal QLD high powered ABCs also used VHF 6, 8 and 9 too.

3 Likes

A few exceptions, e.g. there was ABLN2 in Broken Hill and in higher population areas such as Cairns that had ABNQ9 and Wide Bay/Maryborough had ABWQ6.

But it does seem that in the initial rollout that ABC (or ABCB in allocating frequencies) roughly followed the UK system (pre-colour) where BBC was down the lower end of the VHF band and commercial/ITV services at the higher end.

1 Like

I noticed they used AKW for ABC Kalgoorlie.

2 Likes

Interesting to see and hear an old Australian Broadcasting Commission ID shown at the start of new ABC drama series Barons, which is set in 1971.

Similar to what they did with 80s style one at the start of The Newsreader last year.

5 Likes

was it one of the ones featured above? Random TV History - #1139 by TelevisionAU

1 Like

This colour one

5 Likes

No. The logo was a thicker style and it had colours so I suspect it might have been something from around 1975 maybe. No images just an animated graphic.

Yes. That’s it. You’re quick @TV.Cynic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

i thought if it was set in 1971 they should have gone earlier than a colour one, especially as they’ve already gone to the trouble of digging out early 1970s idents. But, oh well, it’s nice to see them show these gentle nods to their history

I’d say the series will run further into the decade so they probably just chose one to use on all the episodes.

And also show anyone under the age of 40 anything in black and white and they’ll think it’s something from the 1920s :wink:

2 Likes

They’d be like my nephews who can’t believe the internet once didn’t exist and how did we ever live without it.

2 Likes