Random TV History

They played Christine Anu every bloody morning at the exact same time.

Didn’t Video Hits and/or rage also face the same limitations, or were they able to show a wider range because of their late-morning time slot?

To my knowledge, AMV would regularly play hits from artists such as Mya (whose 2001 smash hit “Case of the Ex” was massive back in the day), Joy Enriquez, Superman Lovers, Train, Lifehouse, Coldplay, Craig David, Ronan Keating, Emma Bunton and Mel C, while Human Nature, Aneiki, Bardot and Scandal’us (who were formed on Popstars in 2001) were among the Aussie artists that featured regularly.

If rage deemed a music video in the ARIA Top 50 (which they discontinued in mid-2006 due to ARIA taking on a telecommunications company therefore breaching ABC guidelines) to be deemed unsuitable for broadcast after 6:00am (at which point the classification changed from M to G), they’d show a short 10-15 second clip of a TV with the rage logo, the title of the song and its position in the charts.

4 Likes

TV historian Andrew Mercado is producing a doco tracing the history of the representation of LGBTQI people on Australian TV, but needs funding to get the pilot off the ground

4 Likes

Something I also liked to do when I was a kid- wasting camera film on taking photos of the TV screen and holding a tape recorder up to the speaker.

Credit: RGC198.

7 Likes

my dad was remarkably tech savvy enough to hook up the TV to the AUX socket at the back of the stereo so we could relay TV audio through the big speakers (though not in stereo). It was easy then for me to put in an audio cassette and record bits of the telly without needing to hold a recorder to the TV speaker. Mostly just stuff like ads and bits of random shows, though I did record the UHF Documentary which was a 15-minute show played daily on SBS for a while, telling us all about UHF and that we knew what “28” was and what we needed to do to find it. I don’t have a cassette player here anymore but without vision it’s probably not very interesting :stuck_out_tongue:

Although some snippets of the doco formed this promo about SBS coming soon to Brisbane, which I’m guessing went to air there on ABC.

YouTube: Joe Smith

8 Likes

What’s with the music?

Tales of Adventure - Matthew Cang. Was used as the theme of the Australian National Nightly News sketch for Full Frontal in the Mid-1990’s.

Australian National Nightly News Sketch

4 Likes

It was also used in Sudafed ads for a time

1 Like

Any ideas which network used this classification logo?

1 Like

Hard to tell, do you know which city it was? In those days different cities often had their own presentation.

Purely at a guess it could be from Ten but would need more information.

Sydney

I would say Ten but that’s really just a guess.

1 Like

It is indeed Ten.

Note them using the British/Australian spelling

3 Likes

the one time it’s probably justified using the American spelling, and they go Aussie! :man_shrugging:

Obvious it would have aired before Neighbours (the soap) started in 1985.

Voice over during the credits of a Seven airing of Poltergeist:

1 Like

The TNT9 60th Anniversary Facebook page has come back to life recently and has been sharing some great history.

Image credit: facebook.com/StaffReunion/

7 Likes

Just curious what year did they stop having voiceovers over the credits like in the video Petarkco posted above?
I know it was quite common in the 90s and 00s then it changed to having the credits on one side and promo vision on the other with the credits cut down substantially.

it wasn’t a hard stop at a certain point in time by the industry, rather just in the late 2000s/early 2010s there was a transition to cutting down end credits, the step before that is to show promos during the end credits. Ten did exactly this, while Seven had special end credits presentation to allow promos to play over 2/3rds of the screen without squashing the credits text which ran on the bottom third.

“A magnificent performance!” Probably the most replayed words on Tasmanian television, from the 1977 Burnie Wheel, from a magnificent local sporting icon in TNT9’s Ray James. I was delighted when the reunion page posted this video today. Iconic voice and local legend. I remember a report in the early 90’s when he still referred to Southern Cross as Channel 9!

Full video/credit: Redirecting...

Tip: original audio through left channel, music overlay though right

5 Likes