Random TV History

Most recently seen as a recurring guest character on Neighbours, Fay Brennan, mother of regulars Mark, Tyler, Aaron and Chloe.

1 Like

:astonished:

No way! I used to love occasionally being allowed to stay up late for Skyways

1 Like

Articles from June 1982 when The Young Doctors was to become the longest running Australian drama at that time.

Source: TV and Video Digest

4 Likes

A review and some details of the box set.

3 Likes

Having poked around the internet, I’ve come to the conclusion that this “NRL Footy Show: Behind The Scenes” segment (great job with the upload BTW, @mubd) might’ve been filmed on April 10, 2003:

Some other miscellaneous observations…

*Digital Betacam edit suite around the 3 second mark, which I highly doubt is still used. Also quite a few DigiBeta and some Beta SX tapes on the shelves.

*A quick search of Google Maps has found the former production home for The NRL Footy Show was at 12 Scott Street, Willoughby. Not sure if any of the cottages that used to house TCN production are still standing, but I’m pretty sure a sign for The Footy Show was still on the door in November last year when the “Farewell to TCN-9” report from Dalts aired on Nine News Sydney.

*Speaking of which, Mike Dalton also makes an appearance during this clip in his then-role as segment producer for The NRL Footy Show.

*“What about that little homo Matthew Johns?” - while this was technically a self denigrating comment (with Matthew Johns playing the Reg Regan character), you probably wouldn’t get away with that nowadays? Indeed, the Reg Regan & Trent the Flight Steward characters as a whole quite possibly wouldn’t get to air today! Not saying this is a particularly good or bad thing though, just pointing out that 2003 was a different time in Australian TV.

*The “Reg’s Rant” segment from that episode has made it online in full - note how Ray Warren was making mistakes during game calls even back then, with Matthew Johns reminding him that it was Todd Byrne who scored a try rather than Brad Fittler! :open_mouth:

*Think Matthew was saying something in reference to 2SM (“1269 on the AM band”) with his brief chat to Darryl after taping the “Next” Promo.

*You can just about hear the Ident/Sponsor Billboard audio at the start of the “control room going on air” clip.

2 Likes

With the 2SM thing. I believe he had a weekend show with Cameron Williams. There was a clip on Youtube with a spat between Denton and Piggins over Souths future.

1 Like

The full compilation from that DVD has a few moments which would probably be unacceptable for broadcast today.

One bit has Fatty in blackface…

2 Likes

my stupid qustion: the OSD that contains the number and channel’s short names were from MMDS decoder, right #myfriends? (I never experienced this since I first subscribed to cable in Vietnam in 2006…)

lol
(GMV6)

5 Likes

welcome back #myfriend

Where did you find that screen cap from GMV6? Brings back memories :slight_smile:

2 Likes

the guy who used to post a lot of MTN9 stuff on Youtube many years ago…
#myfriend

2 Likes

I remember during Ian Ross’ tenure as Seven News Sydney newsreader in the noughties, Chris Bath would be brought in to present the news updates on Monday and Tuesday nights (despite not reading any bulletins on those days unless she was filling in for Roscoe), in addition to reading the Friday-Sunday night bulletins (IIRC, Samantha Armytage would present the news updates on Wednesday and Thursday nights). Can anyone remember why this was the case?

Probably just part of her job description (creating a five-day working week).

I dare say Ian Ross negotiated some pretty handy terms in his contract including not sticking around for the news updates.

7 Likes

Brian Henderson apparently never presented evening news updates either when he did 6pm so it’s not an exactly new concept for newsreaders back in the day.

6 Likes

they had Nightline though back then on 9, so it was easier for Hendo to leave at 6:30 then the presenter for late news (normally Waley to do the evening update).

1 Like

Found this from a decade ago.

This show was based off the UK format The Million Pound Drop Live. As soon as I heard about this show in 2010 I wondered whether there would be a local version, and Nine eventually picked up the format. It was also no surprise that Eddie McGuire was selected to host the show, as he did with Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?/Hot Seat and 1 vs. 100.

4 Likes

Not sure if it’s the right thread but here goes.

Back in 1991, an ad used to air regularly on the Channel 10 afternoon music show Coca-Cola Power Cuts which in effect was just a colour on screen and it changed to another colour every half a second or every second and the music beat went with the colour change. From memory, the music was rather dramatic. I’m trying to find it on YouTube and I cannot remember for the life of me what it was trying to advertise. This was in Sydney so not sure if this aired anywhere else. Does anyone else around in this era remember this ad too?

3 Likes

A reminder of a bygone era in the Spencer Gulf.

12 Likes

Three years ago, I’ve discovered something rare at my local library -
Simon Townsend planned to launch a children’s channel for Australian cable TV operators.
It said that the channel would be Australia’s answer to Nickelodeon

Source: Sydney Morning Herald, March 21st 1981

If you’ve got any info on it, let me know.

6 Likes

Can’t imagine that this channel went past the concept stage, but an interesting story nonetheless.

As far as I’m aware, the Nickelodeon that Americans had access to in 1981 was more educational based and a bit less focused on populist children’s TV than the current one is.

3 Likes