Random TV History

I was hoping to forget but people keeping reminding me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yasmin’s Getting Married was definitely one of the biggest flops on Australian TV so far this millennium, but given the explosion of dating, relationship and wedding-themed programs on our screens over the last decade or so (particularly the last 5-6 years) one really has to wonder whether a similar format would’ve become moderately successful if launched more recently. Certainly it would’ve lasted more than four episodes, with networks more reluctant to pull failing programs off-air now than they were a decade or more ago.

Haha!

2 Likes

I remember once, Tim Webster voice-over’ed a classification warning prior to the start of a program on Channel Ten. Can anyone find it?

Managed to dig out this article from February last year that features former Seven News Sydney co-presenter Ross Symonds.

Apart from a guest appearance on The Daily Edition in February 2016 Symonds has barely been seen on television since he and Ann Sanders made way for Ian Ross on the Seven newsdesk in December 2003.

1 Like

If you search “National Nine News Darwin 2007” on YouTube, you’ll be able to see an opener from January 2007 with Tim Arvier (now the network’s US correspondent) presenting.

In it you’ll also see a short preview of Eddie McGuire’s then-new game show, 1 vs 100. From the footage it must be a pilot, as that preview also features Livinia Nixon.

1 Like

FWIW, The Beatles Sing For Shell was broadcast on GTV9 and relayed to GLV10 and BTV6 on Wednesday 1 July 1964 at 7.30pm.

BCV8 screened it on 2 July at 7.30pm, and GMV6 on 3 July at 7.30pm.

It was one of the highest rating shows of the decade, averaging a rating of 53.5 across Sydney and Melbourne (noting that there were only three channels in each city in those days)

7 Likes

Speaking of archives Monday 3 August at 9.25pm on Nine’s Ian Chappell special is a must see for TV history buffs - at least the first minute. :wink:

It opens with “A nondescript warehouse in a dusty Sydney industrial estate”. It’s Nine’s film and television archive and we see a short segment inside. The interview with Ian is filmed inside the warehouse.

13 Likes

Ahh, so this must be Nine’s off-site Sydney archives I’ve heard about before! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Does anyone know where it is? It was in Chatswood many years ago but I get the impression they moved.

1 Like

That warehouse is getting a bit of airtime of late. The recent Beatles One Night Only special featured David Campbell in the same aisles.

2 Likes

I wonder how much of it has been transferred to digital before it eventually dies in the arse?

6 Likes

Seven News Sydney - “First For News” Promo (Feb 2014)

1 Like

Seven News in Adelaide did a Flashback segment earlier tonight focussed on the Channel Seven “Say Hello” campaign that ran in 1986

Minor technicality. The jingle and promos were from ADS7, which is now Channel Ten, so technically the promos were from an opposition channel but just happened to be “Seven” :wink:

Here’s a full version of the promo:

YouTube: Andrew Heslop

3 Likes

Here’s something I just came across on the 'Tube.

It’s Capital 7 & ABC News’ coverage of the opening of Tuggeranong Hyperdome (now South Point) at Canberra’s southern suburbs back in November 1987.

Back then, Capital 7 News was a 30 minute bulletin that aired at 6pm nightly, whilst ABC News had a 10-minute local news insert on its NSW 7pm bulletin for Canberra viewers.

Credit: jmoul59

5 Likes

Great song choice there by the ABC.

Wow, the ABC likely wouldn’t cover the opening of a new shopping centre on one of their TV news bulletins these days? :open_mouth:

1 Like

There wouldn’t be anyone in the shopping centre.

Well that’s true. But I’m also thinking about how the report was presented - very much like a commercial TV report and probably one you could imagine Stuart Littlemore grilling had Media Watch been on the air in Late 1987!

1 Like

Was Backchat still on back in '87?

I believe it was, ran until about 1995 if I’m not mistaken.