Random TV History

I wonder if they were trying to confuse people interested in the Australian GP since the New York Grand Prix is most certainly a Indy Car event (Most likely acturally the Meadowlands Grand Prix) .

Did Ten/SAS10 have the rights to Indy Car in 85/86?

1 Like

I don’t know if Larry Emdur ever did newsreading at Ten, but it’s to my understanding that he was a reporter (and for at least one week of August, fill-in presenter as per the promo caps below) of the post-news infotainment show “Sydney with Mike Gibson” in 1990.

Here’s a clip of that, reading headlines and introducing CNN programing via satellite on News Overnight (thanks, @TV.Cynic! :slightly_smiling_face:):

Not sure about everyone else, but I reckon the suit Larry’s wearing in that clip looks very much like something from the movie “Anchorman”! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Not really. Larry’s suit is more claasic 80s. Anchorman is definitely more horrid 70s

3 Likes

From the world of classic TV sign offs, here’s one from the USSR in the 1980s.

3 Likes

Anyone know who the female presenter here is?

1 Like

I think it might be Karina Kelly? She co-presented Seven National News with Ross Symonds for a short time around the mid-1980s.

Larry was also a reporter on Good Morning Australia in 1988

3 Likes

It is.

2 Likes

Anyone still remember when Sunrise brought in Sue Butler from the Macquarie Dictionary in 2003 on the topic of swearing?

From memory she says something among the lines of “you are a *******” and Kochie and Mel had to immediately wrap up the interview, apologizing to viewers after the commercial break.

This is an abstract from the book Brekky Central which summarizes the rather embarrassing blooper…

Who could forget! One of the most iconic Sunrise moments!

3 Likes

Yep, I remember it well. I was quite surprised because she just seemed so proper! She’d said something along the lines of “if I called you a dork” (can’t remember what it was) “you wouldn’t find that offensive, but if I called you a f***wit then it would be”. It was the quickest wrap up I’ve ever seen.

2 Likes

Here’s the transcript from ABC’s Media Watch on 21st July 2003 about the above:
https://web.archive.org/web/20110511130742/http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s906766.htm

2 Likes

Also from that transcript, Mark Beretta was at the time the sports presenter on Seven News Sydney. He would, some twelve months later, join the Sunrise team as the sports presenter. At Sydney 6pm he was replaced by Ten import Matthew White.

1 Like

ABC TV Closedowns from December 1986:

7 Likes

Love the use of Abraham’s Theme from Chariots of Fire.

2 Likes

Any reason known why Tas goes to running half an hour later in the second one after the news? Did they regularly slip in an extra show? I first thought daylight saving but by December all the states would have been in line and then checking this site with the full history of dates shows each of the observing states were all on the same day that year anyway.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/dst_times.shtml

2 Likes

the voice over said that there was a local Christmas carols special in Tasmania that pushed the other shows later

4 Likes

Thanks, didn’t have sound when I watched it. Probably should have tried later when I did before posting. Thanks for that!

2 Likes

Also, why did the ABC in NSW and NT show harness racing?

1 Like

Presumably they held the rights to Harold Park at the time. I think the ABC also broadcast a few Inter Dominions over the years too. Even until probably late 1990s early 2000s they would replay the days’ racing during VFA/VFL broadcast in Victoria.

2 Likes