Random TV History

With the Seven news department moving out of Martin Place at the end of this year, it will sadly mean the end of live performances in the studio as we know it.

Such as these -

3 Likes

Yes I think having Seven at Martin Place was a bit of an image booster, a bit like the NBC set up at Rockefeller Plaza in New York City. Shame it will be no more.

4 Likes

I still think Sunrise could still go with live in-studio performances, just local acts such as Sam Fischer or Human Nature only.

Also gone will be fans watching from outside, as was the case for the several times Fifth Harmony and Little Mix (among other acts) have performed on the show.

3 Likes

I personally would like a live camera installed at Martin Place so they could continue having a (sort of) realistic view unlike the Today/News Breakfast who use still images of Sydney/Melbourne respectively. I would even say move the set over, but use it only for Sunrise due to the increased space, and not share one with news like News Breakfast/Today/Studio 10.

1 Like

Devastating. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Classic Commercials

Back in the 1990‘s when the Northern NSW channels on the Gold Coast would stay on NSW time did NBN and NRTV/Ten Nthn NSW have localised Gold Coast feeds?. Because it seemed to me NBN and NRTV feeds were the Lismore feeds with Northern Rivers and GC ads on them. The only GC feed I thought would be Prime because they aired mostly GC ads and had Prime Gold Coast News. If anybody has any into on this it would be appreciated.

Yes. Each channel had localised Gold Coast ads and NRTV and Prime had local programming too.

This was from NRTV c. 1993 https://youtu.be/rNTw5mIK3oY

Prime c. 1993

Local News, The Prime Possum Show and some short lived film review show (the latter two for the network) was produced at Prime Southport while NRTV had a local lifestyle show on Friday Nights produced at their Ashmore studios.

I presume some advertisers wanted their commercials to run across both sub-markets. I remember this one very well on NRTV which ran a variation with the same music for years.

2 Likes

That didn’t last long; ABA said they must broadcast in Queensland time otherwise they would beach classification rules.

It was NBN that started the complaint.

The Australian Broadcasting Authority (ABA) received a complaint from the licensee, NBN Limited, Newcastle (NBN) that, since the commencement of daylight saving in 1997, commercial television services NEN and NRN have been broadcasting programs into Queensland in New South Wales time. Since Queensland does not join with other eastern states in daylight saving, it was claimed that ‘M’, ‘MA’, ‘PG’ and ‘C’ programs were being broadcast by Prime Television (Northern) Pty Ltd (Prime) and Northern Rivers Television Pty Ltd (Ten Northern) an hour earlier than the classification times set down in the Commercial Television Industry Code of Practice (the Code).

1 Like

It was ironic that NBN lodged the complaint as they themselves were on DST into the Gold Coast until 1995-96 when QTQ complained that the early programming on NBN were costing them ratings. QTQ conveniently ignored the fact that BTQ and TVQ were in the same boat.

The “complaint” that got real attention was Prime airing the movie “Pulp Fiction” at 7.30pm Gold Coast time, that one got a fair amount of press the in local rag, the “Gold Coast Bulletin”.

1 Like

Not sure where to post this, but discovered a great FB page called SEQ/Sunshine Television Memories.
Redirecting...

2 Likes

Does anyone have any high quality versions of The Price is right Nine era theme songs? There was the one used from the 90s and then it had a slight remix in 2005 with the “revamp”.

The “come on down” one and the generic one when larry walks out, closer etc.

There is these games that someone has posted on youtube but the quality is less than desirable… if anyone even has the copy of these games? ha

3 Likes

This one sounds decent. 90s version

2 Likes

Thank you! I don’t know how I missed this.

Would be great to somehow get the later version. (If anyone has it) I found the “come on down” theme which is used in the Vietnam version to this day

1 Like

Could Tenterfield before aggregation receive NRTV, 10-4-5a, and 9-8 Television with 3 different antennas?

1 Like

Going by this antenna setup I spotted back in 2019 in Tenterfield, yes.

4 Likes

Im guessing in order of top to bottom

NEN-9 Upper Namoi
RTN-8 Lismore
SDQ-4 Warwick
UHF Mt MacKenzie

As the 2nd lowest one has the longest elements such are most suited to Band I (VHF 4).

It could also be the top antenna is trying to get Brisbane?

2 Likes

My guesses for VHF

Band III stacked antennas for Lismore 6 and 8 at the top

The next 2 used to be stacked antennas for SDQ4 and ABDQ1 but some of the elements have fallen off.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have thought you’d need a stacked array for Warwick (Passchendaele) at Tenterfield as it’s only about 60 km away. But it’s possible I guess.

2 Likes

It’s an interesting challenge. I also think there are possibly 2 UHF antennas at the bottom - one for Southern Qld the phased array and a smaller one on the chimney for the local channels.

Still lots of legacy antennas around.

2 Likes