Random Thread

Still so blatant that Gillard & friends leaked it too.
The irony, much like with pretty much all the leaks related to Rudd, is that it humanised him despite his control freak / micromanaging tendencies.

I’m still convinced he will make a comeback to the ALP at least one more time in the future.

5 Likes

He’d have to go through pre-selection and all of that again just to be a candidate… I can’t see him going back there again.

2 Likes

:cocktail:

3 Likes

Is it just me or have trolls returned?

11 Likes

How I’d imagine a SydneyCityTV promo featuring famous and not so famous (hey, some of my favourite TV/media stories I’ve heard have been about people in the latter category) media personalities would be like, if one was ever created…

“Who?”
“Oh, so he’s that weird guy who’s obsessed with (insert whatever’s the most popular media discussion topic at the moment)! Doesn’t he have anything better to do?”
“Never heard of this CitySydneyTV fellow before in my life!”
“Would’ve completely forgotten about that news report/Hot Seat appearance from years ago if it wasn’t for him”

Sorry couldn’t resist! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

This is me…this is EXACTLY me:

I think this thread needs more Peter Russell-Clarke

4 Likes

Maybe this would be a perfect response to the trolls!:grin:

Screenshot_20200802-215617~3

3 Likes

“The Nine News fanboy who despises anything to do with a ribbon logo that is red in nature” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

you were on hot seat? awesome - is there anything on yt i could watch on it?

1 Like

Nah, I’ve never been a contestant on Hot Seat.

A couple of others I know from social media were a while back though. The first did an impromptu “Macarena” performance.

The second told Eddie this incredible story (which I’ve yet to properly verify, maybe @TV-Expert does - I’d imagine that he has stronger memories than most about the events of 4/9/2000) about getting lost as a little kid while the 2000 Olympic Torch relay was going through Campbelltown in South Western Sydney which apparently resulted in things getting shut down for a missing child search. But I’m yet to find any further reports about this.

1 Like

I certainly don’t remember that incident, although I did saw the Olympic Torch relay for myself when it went through Campbelltown that day. Melissa Doyle (who was presenting the Sydney edition of Today Tonight back then) was the MC when the torch stopped by at Campbelltown Stadium.

3 Likes

The guy is crazy.

I know very little about the Australian Unemployed Workers Union. But it is not a registered union and a Twitter search indicates that is not very effective at what it claims to be, and there are a lot of complaints about them. Though whatever gripe Friendly Jordies has with that organisation doesn’t excuse him globally defaming the unemployed.

2 Likes

Keep in mind, firstly, that Jordan spent his 30th birthday doing this. How utterly sad.

The AUWU is a recent creation (albeit not the first of its kind, historically there have been plenty of unemployed workers’ unions and associations in Australia throughout the 19th and 20th centuries). From what I’ve seen, they’ve done more for campaigning against Robodebt, putting people with disabilities onto Jobseeker and the current strike against mutual obligations than anyone else in Australia. All this for an organisation run mostly by volunteers.

FWIW, you can’t be a registered “union” in Australia without the ACTU. Who’s backing Jordan again?

5 Likes

I gotta say, how the hell do you have an unemployment union? What happens if you’re a member and you get a job - does that make you a scab? :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think Jordan is a out-and-out union shill but sometimes he does come close. I like watching Friendlyjordies, but I don’t agree with everything he says. Same with Issac Butterfield.

2 Likes

LOL didn’t he also say that he was leaving Australia at one point?!

Either way, I can’t believe it’s been just over five years since that infamous wedding which made national news and probably accelerated the decline of Auburn Council. A certain word which begins with W and rhymes with “banker” probably describes Salim Mehajer quite accurately! :wink:

3 Likes

Friendlyjordies has always given me the heebie jeebies. It worries me that some people I know who basically don’t follow politics at all will actually fawn over whatever this guy says without doing their own research.

He strikes me as a union/Labor hack, and his attacks on an Unemployed Worker’s Union (which isn’t really a union - which seems to have hit a nerve with him, but it certainly serves a similar function) are disgusting.

Some of his latest (s)hits include attacking the ABC, claiming that they are now Fox News Australia. This seems to stem from a personal dispute over him not getting a show on the ABC despite his online popularity. He is literally calling for them to be defunded as retaliation for ‘right-wing bias’ once Labor gets back in, as if that’s a logical way to go about it.

The nasty stuff against Gladys Berejiklian labelling her as literally a Koala killer is toxic shit. He uses his online followers to engage in that kind of disgusting name calling, and I find that truly reprehensible. I think the low-brow mockery of public figures isn’t really helpful in facilitating civilised public discourse.

What also worries me is that these online personalities who tend to have spats over Twitter are so forthright in their opinions that they basically NEVER back down or change their mind.

Jordies strikes me as the kind of guy who may, indeed, end up as the Mark Latham of the 2050s…when many 2010s Greens policies are actually put into place.

6 Likes

But here’s the thing - his behavour isn’t exactly new, he’s got form when it comes to this.

Someone associated with the AUWU rustled his jimmys and he can’t let it pass. There’s also a video going around where he suggests that someone from Bill Shorten’s office made contact to “congratulate” him about this too.

The support that a trade union provides for those who are employed aren’t that much different from those for who are unemployed.

They’re not an affiliated trade union - but they are definitely a union based on the definition of the word

2 Likes

this has made me think of an awesome idea once state borders are opened and whatnot - a MediaSpy meetup, would be awesome to meet y’all irl!

2 Likes

Where would it be though? Would there be local meetups, i.e. some in Adelaide, some in Perth, some in Brisbane, etc.

1 Like